Vineland Senior High School South
|Vineland Senior High School South|
|2880 East Chestnut Avenue
Vineland, NJ 08361
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Enter to learn, go forth to serve."|
|School district||Vineland Public Schools|
|Principal||Dr. Thomas McCann|
|Asst. principals||Dorothy Burke
|Faculty||198.5 (on FTE basis)|
|Enrollment||2,830 (as of 2005-06)|
|Student to teacher ratio||14.3|
|Athletics conference||Cape-Atlantic League|
|Team name||Fighting Clan|
Vineland Senior High School South is a public high school located in Vineland, New Jersey, as part of the Vineland Public Schools. The school opened in 1963. It holds classes for 11th and 12th grade students, as well as a small amount of students from other grades. It was considered to be a different school but on the same campus of Vineland Senior High School North, but as of 2010-11 operates on a consolidated basis as Vineland High School.
The school was the 222nd-ranked public high school in New Jersey out of 316 schools statewide, in New Jersey Monthly magazine's September 2008 cover story on the state's Top Public High Schools. The school was ranked 194th in the magazine's September 2006 issue, which surveyed 316 schools across the state.
White - 35%
Hispanic - 43%
African American - 20%
Asian - 2%
American Indian - <1%
Due to its large student body Vineland High is able to offer a wide range of elective classes topics include arts and design, computers, media, automobile repair, wood working, as well as a wide range of Advanced Placement courses. Courses such as English, mathematics, history, and science are tracked into general, college preparatory, and honors. Students are tracked into honors mathematics and science from middle school.
Requirements for Graduation
Courses required to be taken in order to graduate are 4 years of English, 3 years of mathematics, 2 years of United States history, 1 year of world history/geography; 3 years of science; 1 year of fine, practical and/or performing arts, 1 year of digital technology, 1 year of business, life science, vocational course, 2 years of a World Language, 4 years of physical education/health, and 1/2 year of career exploration or development. All students must pass the State High School Proficiency Assessment called HSPA to graduate.
The Vineland High School Fighting Clan compete in the Atlantic Division of the Cape-Atlantic League, an athletic conference consisting of both parochial and public high schools located in Atlantic County, Cape May County, Cumberland County, and Gloucester County, New Jersey. The Cape-Atlantic League operates under the aegis of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association.
Vineland Senior High School South/Vineland Senior High School North have participated since 1893 in Annual Thanksgiving Football Game with Millville Senior High School, in Millville. The rivalry is the one of the oldest Public High School rivalry in the United States, meeting for the 135th time in 2006. Vineland leads the series, 61-55, with 19 games ending in ties.
They also have a longstanding boys swim team rivalry between Vineland and Mainland Regional High School that has lasted many years.
Standard of Dress
Students from preschool to 12th grade are required to wear a uniform consisting of red, white, or black collared shirts and tan or black pants, shorts, or skirts. The regulation mandating school uniforms can be accessed at http://www.vineland.org/files/_qYAWW_/3b1b0cf308278a493745a49013852ec4/uniform_regs618.pdf
Core members of the school's administration are:
- Dr. Thomas McCann - Executive Principal
- Dorothy Burke - Assistant Principal
- Richard Panas - Assistant Principal
- Michael Sullivan - Assistant Principal
- Vineland Senior High School South, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed April 18, 2011.
- "Top New Jersey High Schools 2008: By Rank", New Jersey Monthly, September 2008, posted August 7, 2008. Accessed August 19, 2008.
- Students label new dress code as racist Daily Journal, June 21, 2006
- Student Ethnicity, Great Schools. Accessed October 13, 2007.
- Thanksgiving brings feast of rivalries, The Courier-Post, November 22, 2006
- VHS-MHS games on the 6s were eventful, colorful, Daily Journal (Vineland), November 29, 1996
- VHS Administration, Vineland High School. Accessed October 17, 2007.
- VHS South Website
- Vineland Public Schools
- Vineland Public Schools's 2014–15 School Report Card from the New Jersey Department of Education
- Data for the Vineland Public Schools, National Center for Education Statistics
- South Jersey Sports: Vineland HS