Vinita Chandra Nair
|Residence||New York City, New York, U.S.|
|Occupation||News anchor, news correspondent|
|Employer||NBC News (2018–present)|
ABC News (2008–2011)
|Known for||World News Now|
America This Morning
CBS This Morning
CBS This Morning Saturday
Osman Nawaz (m. 2009)
Vinita Chandra Nair (born September 8, 1981) is an American television journalist currently working for an NBC News affiliate in Texas. Nair is the former co-host of CBS This Morning Saturday alongside Anthony Mason. She was replaced by Alex Wagner, starting with the episode that aired on November 19, 2016.
Early life and education
Nair is of Indian descent and was born in Evanston, Illinois, and raised in Colleyville, Texas, going to school in Fort Worth. She graduated with a degree in journalism from the Medill School of Journalism, of Northwestern University.
Nair wrote for Today's Chicago Woman magazine and was a reporter for Talk Radio News in Washington D.C. prior to pursuing television journalism. She began her career in television news at WGEM-TV, the NBC affiliate in Quincy, Illinois, as a general assignment reporter. She also worked for WYCC-TV, Chicago's PBS station, and Illinois' public, educational, and government access (PEG) cable TV station, Evanston Community Cable Channel.
Next, Nair became an anchor and reporter for KOLN/KGIN-TV in Lincoln, Nebraska, where she anchored daily morning and afternoon newscasts. Then, she was lead evening reporter and anchor at KWGN-TV, the CW affiliate in Denver. She started at the station in July 2004 and reported on a wide range of topics, including the Jon Benet Ramsey murder investigation and the school shootings at Bailey, Colorado.
Nair joined ABC News as an anchor/correspondent for ABC News Now in December 2007. In that role, she anchored live coverage and news briefs for ABC's digital network. Nair was co-anchor of World News Now and America This Morning on ABC, from September 17, 2008, until February 18, 2011. She was partnered with Jeremy Hubbard and later Rob Nelson on both shows. On Thursday, February 17, 2011, Nair announced that Friday, February 18, would be her last night on air at World News Now. It would also be her last day with ABC News. Former KDVR Denver anchor Peggy Bunker was her immediate successor. The February 18 edition of World News Now paid tribute to Nair in each of its three segments, including appearances from current and former colleagues including Jeremy Hubbard. She treated the crew to a hot breakfast on her last day. Also, a brief send-off by Nelson to Nair was given at the conclusion of America This Morning.
Vinita is most recently the former co-anchor of CBS This Morning Saturday alongside Anthony Mason. She was also a correspondent for CBS Newspath and was seen on the network as a substitute anchor for Up to the Minute. An article published in Variety stated that Nair left CBS. On October 12 and 13, 2017, Nair guest anchored on Dallas-based ABC affiliate WFAA on News 8 Daybreak alongside World News Now and America This Morning alum Ron Corning.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2015-06-17.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Meet NBC 5's newest face! She's Vinita Nair and she's so happy to be back home in North Texas. Get to know her with Kris Gutierrez NBC5. Also - feel free to give her Facebook page a 'like'!". NBC DFW. www.facebook.com. 2018. Retrieved 31 December 2018.
- "ABC MediaNet Bio: "Vinita Nair"". ABC News. Archived from the original on March 9, 2011. Retrieved March 9, 2011.
- TVNewser:"Nair Named ABC News Anchor" MediaBistro.com. 2008-09-16.
- VINITA NAIR JOINS CBS NEWS CBS News, January 15, 2013
- Steinberg, Brian (2016-11-16). "Alex Wagner Named Co-Host of Saturday 'CBS This Morning'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-11-24.
- Look who is joining us as guest host today... - Ron Corning's Twitter (published October 12, 2017)
- repeteproductions. "Vinita Nair Wedding Polka on ABC World News Now" – via YouTube.