The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Independent Evaluation |
Asian Development Bank
August 2011 – August 2016
|Alma mater||Mar Ivanios College|
St. Stephen's College, Delhi
Western Michigan University
University of Chicago
Vinod Thomas (born in Thiruvananthapuram, India) was Director General of Independent Evaluation at the World Bank and at Asian Development Bank. He reported to the World Bank's and ADB’s Board of Directors through development effectiveness committees.
He was the Director-General and Senior Vice-President of the Independent Evaluation Group at the World Bank Group.[non-primary source needed] He was formerly Country Director for Brazil and Vice-President, a position that he held from October 2001 to July 2005. Prior to that, he was Vice-President of the World Bank Institute. He joined the World Bank in 1976 and held several positions, including Chief Economist for the East Asia and Pacific region, Director for the World Development Report, Chief of Trade Policy and Principal Economist for Colombia, and Economist for Bangladesh.
Thomas is currently Visting Professor, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, National University of Singapore; and Special Adviser to the President and Visiting Professor at Asian Institute of Management, Manila.
- Agricultural Price Policies and the Developing Countries, with G.S. Tolley and C.M. Wong, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1982.
- Linking Macroeconomic and Agricultural Policies for Adjustment with Growth: The Colombian Experience, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1985. Spanish version published by the Central Bank of Colombia.
- The Economics of Urbanization and Urban Policies in Developing Countries, ed. with G.S. Tolley, World Bank publication, 1987.
- Adjustment Lending: How It Has Worked, How It Can Be Improved, ed. with A. Chhibber, The World Bank, 1989.
- Restructuring Countries in Distress, ed. with others, Oxford University Press, 1991.
- Best Practices in Trade Policy Reform, with J. Nash, Oxford University Press, 1991.
- The Challenge of Development, World Development Report 1991, with others, Oxford University Press, 1991.
- Sustaining Rapid Development in East Asia and the Pacific, with R. Agarwala. A World Bank publication, 1993.
- The Lessons of East Asia: An Overview of Country Experience, with Danny Leipziger, A World Bank publication, 1993.
- The Quality of Growth, with Yan Wang, Nalin Kishor, Dani Kaufmann, Ramon Lopez and Ashok Dhareshwar. Oxford University Press, 2000.
- From Inside Brazil: Development in a Land of Contrasts, Stanford University Press, 2006 (English and Portuguese).
- Multilateral Banks and the Development Process: Vital Links in the Results Chain, with Xubei Luo. Transaction Publishers. 2012.
- Evaluation for Better Results. 10 Year of Independent Evaluation at Asian Development Bank, with others. Asian Development Bank: Manila. September 2014.
- Remembering our Future Results for Development. April 2015.
- Climate Change and Natural Disasters: Transforming Economies and Policies for a Sustainable Future. Transaction Publishers. 2017.
- "Vinod Thomas profile". Non Resident Indian. Archived from the original on 21 April 2014. Retrieved 5 November 2015.
- "Independent Evaluation | Asian Development Bank". Adb.org. Retrieved 2013-09-29.[not in citation given]
- "Vinod Thomas profile". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 November 2013.[not in citation given]
- Ad La De Felicie (October 2011). Vinod Thomas. Salv. ISBN 978-613-7-99479-5.
- Vinod Thomas; Ajay Chhibber; Mansoor Dailami, eds. (1995). Restructuring Economies in Distress: Policy Reform and the World Bank. World Bank Publications. p. 566. ISBN 978-0-19-521109-2.
- Best Practices in Trade Policy Reform. World Bank. 1991. p. 226. ISBN 9780195208719.
- World Development Report 1991 : The Challenge of Development. World Bank. 1991. p. 306. ISBN 978-0-19-520868-9.
- Sustaining Rapid Development in East Asia and the Pacific. World Bank. 1993. p. 144. ISBN 0-8213-2386-5.
- Lessons of East Asia: An Overview of Country Experience. World Bank. 1996. p. 36. ISBN 978-0821326077.
- The Quality of Growth. World Bank Publications. 2000. p. 298. ISBN 978-0195215939.
- From Inside Brazil : Development in a Land of Contrasts. Stanford Economics and Finance. 2006. p. 224. ISBN 978-0804755313.
- Multilateral Banks and the Development Process: Vital Links in the Results Chain. Transaction Publishers. 2011. p. 179. ISBN 978-1412847674.
- Climate Change and Natural Disasters: Transforming Economies and Policies for a Sustainable Future. Transaction Publishers. 2017. p. 182. ISBN 978-1-4128-6440-4.