|Live album by Grateful Dead|
|Genre||Psychedelic rock, blues rock|
|Grateful Dead chronology|
Vintage Dead is a live album by the rock group the Grateful Dead. It was recorded at the Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco, California, in late 1966 (thought to be 9/16/66), and released in October 1970.
Vintage Dead was produced without the approval or cooperation of the Grateful Dead. However, it is a legal recording, not a bootleg. An upstart label called "Together Records" assembled live recordings of various Bay Area bands for a planned anthology. When the imprint collapsed, MGM paid the remaining debt and assumed the tapes, releasing two albums of Grateful Dead material on their Sunflower Records subsidiary. The first, Vintage Dead, reached number 127 on the Billboard 200. Produced as a vinyl LP and long out of print, it has not been released as a Compact Disc.
Vintage Dead was then followed by Historic Dead, another Sunflower Records album recorded at the Avalon in 1966.
- Side one
- "I Know You Rider" (traditional) – 4:25[a]
- "It Hurts Me Too" (Elmore James) – 4:17
- "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" (Bob Dylan) – 4:50
- "Dancing in the Street" (Marvin Gaye, Ivy Jo Hunter, and William "Mickey" Stevenson) – 7:55
- Side two
- Later released on So Many Roads (1965–1995)
- Grateful Dead
- Jerry Garcia – lead guitar, vocals
- Bill Kreutzmann – drums
- Phil Lesh – bass guitar, vocals
- Ron "Pigpen" McKernan – organ, harmonica, vocals
- Bob Weir – rhythm guitar, vocals
- Technical personnel
- Robert Cohen – production and engineering
- Richard Delvy – editing and remixing
- Kelley/Mouse Studios – poster design
- John Pierce and Mokelvey – front cover and design
- Ruhlmann, William. Vintage Dead at Allmusic
- Christgau, Robert. Grateful Dead album reviews at robertchristgau.com
- Trager, Oliver (1997). The American Book of the Dead. Fireside. p. 385. ISBN 0-684-81402-1. Retrieved September 5, 2010.
- Vintage Dead at the Grateful Dead Family Discography
- Slabicky, Ihor W. The Compleat Grateful Dead Discography
- Callahan, Mike, et al. Sunflower Album Discography at Both Sides Now Publications
- Ben Fong-Torres; Rolling Stone magazine; October 28, 1971
- Grateful Dead Billboard albums at Allmusic