Torr. & A. Gray
Viola pedunculata, the California golden violet, Johnny jump up, or yellow pansy, is a perennial yellow wildflower of the coast and coastal ranges in California and northwestern Baja California.  The common name "Johnny jump up" is usually associated with Viola tricolor however, the introduced garden annual.
The fragrant flowers appear in March and April, and are a rich, saturated yellow to yellow-orange, with brown-purple nectar guides on the lower petals. The flowers are hermaphrodite, and are pollinated by native and introduced insects. Dried in air, the seeds weigh about 4 milligrams (0.00014 oz) each.
The leaves were used by the Diegueno and Luiseno indigenous people of California for food:. The young leaves were picked before the flowers appeared in the spring, then boiled, and used as greens. 
The plant is cultivated as an ornamental plant by specialty plant nurseries, for planting as a drought tolerant seasonal groundcover or flowering accent plant in native plant and wildlife gardens; and as a potted plant. 
When cultivated in colder climates outside its native range where not so hardy, it is most successful when propagated in a cold frame.
- GRIN: Viola pedunculata . accessed 3.23.2013
- Jepson: Viola pedunculata . accessed 3.23.2013
- CalFlora: Viola pedunculata ssp. pedunculata
- USDA: Viola pedunculata ssp. tenuifolia
- Univ. of Michigan: Dearborn — Ethnobotany treatment . accessed 3.23.2013
- Las Pilitas horticultural database: Viola pedunculata — (Violet, Yellow Pansy, Johnny jump up, California Golden Violet, and Wild Pansy) . accessed 3.23.2013
- Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Native Plant Database (NPIN)
- CNPLX: Viola pedunculata - Nursery and Seed Sources . accessed 3.23.2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Viola pedunculata.|
- CalFlora Database: Viola pedunculata (California golden violet)
- Jepson Manual treatment for Viola pedunculata
- Viola pedunculata species account from ARS Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN) database
- Species entry in Plants for a Future
- Viola pedunculata in the CalPhotos Photo Database, University of California, Berkeley