Vipul Ved Prakash
Vipul Ved Prakash
New Delhi, India
|Occupation||Software engineer, Internet entrepreneur|
In early 2000s, Prakash became widely known for creating Vipul's Razor, a popular open-source anti-spam system. He was named to the list of 2003's Top 100 young innovators in the world by MIT Technology Review for this work on anti-spam, at the age of 25.
Vipul Ved Prakash grew up in New Delhi, India. He played competitive table tennis, and attended St. Stephen's College, Delhi for undergraduate studies in mathematics, physics and computer science, but dropped out to pursue his interests in software design.
In the late 1990s, Prakash co-founded, with Ashish Gulhati, an Internet privacy company (Sense/Net) for early Internet users in India, and wrote for computer magazines and industry journals, including a regular column, "Net Zeppelin", on networking protocols for the Indian edition of PC World Magazine.
In May, 2000, Prakash and Rishab A. Ghosh published the Orbiten Free Software Survey, which is considered to be the one of the first successful attempts at building an empirical model of contribution to open source projects.
Prakash considers himself a cypherpunk. He created a dolphin-shaped implementation of RSA algorithm in Perl that was printed on a T-shirt and sold by ThinkGeek as a protest against restrictive exports laws.
Since Topsy's acquisition by Apple, Prakash has served as a Director of Engineering at Apple, Inc and is rumored to be leading a growing search program inside the company. He appeared on the WWDC 2015 stage to introduce iOS Search APIs.
- ISP Admin: Interview with Vipul Ved Prakash
- Topsy Search Launches: ReTweets Are The New Currency Of The Web
- "Apple Taps Into Twitter, Buying Social Analytics Firm Topsy". Wall Street Journal. 2013.
- "Apple Buys Topsy For Price Reportedly North Of $200M, Could Use Social Signals To Bolster Siri, App Store Relevance". Techcrunch. 2013.
- "2003 Young Innovators Under 35". Technology Review. 2003. Retrieved August 16, 2011.
- TR 35 Vipul Ved Prakash, Young Innovator
- Fishy Business
- Black Leather Jacket?
- CPAN Modules by Ved Prakash
- Rishab Aiyer Ghosh; Vipul Ved Prakash (July 2000). "The Orbiten Free Software Survey". First Monday. 5 (7).
- Spam Haters of The World Unite
- Apple challenges Google with growing Web search program, fueled by Topsy acquisition.
- Introducing Search APIs - WWDC 2015 - Videos