Viral B. Shah
Viral B. Shah
|Alma mater||University of California, Santa Barbara|
|Thesis||An Interactive System for Combinatorial Scientific Computing with an Emphasis on Programmer Productivity (2007)|
|Doctoral advisor||John R. Gilbert|
Viral B Shah is an Indian computer scientist, best known for being a co-creator of the Julia programming language. As of 2017[update] he is the CEO of Julia Computing, which he co-founded with Alan Edelman, Jeff Bezanson, Stefan Karpinski, Keno Fischer and Deepak Vinchhi.
Viral received his B.Engg in Computer Engineering from the Padmabhushan Vasantdada Patil Pratishthan's College of Engineering. He went on to study Computer Science at the University of California, Santa Barbara, where he received his Ph.D. in the field of Combinatorial Scientific Computing.
He was actively involved in the Aadhaar project, which provided a 12-digit unique-identity number to Indian residents based on their biometric and demographic data. Based on his experiences implementing Aadhaar and other complex technology projects in the Government of India, he co-authored the book Rebooting India with Nandan Nilekani.
- In 2013, he received The Spatial Ecology and Telemetry Working Group (SETWG) award for co-creating Circuitscape with Brad McRae.
- In 2019, he was awarded the J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software, for his work on the Julia Programming Language. The prize is awarded every four years to honor outstanding contributions in the field of numerical software.
- Krill, Paul. "New Julia language seeks to be the C for scientists". InfoWorld.
- Finley, Klint. "Out in the Open: Man Creates One Programming Language to Rule Them All". Wired.
- Thomas, Maria (20 April 2017). "An Indian computer scientist helped build an alternative programming language in Bengaluru". Quartz.
- PK, Jayadevan (19 October 2016). "Julia is killing it in the programming world. Meet its co-creator from India". FactorDaily.
- "Julia Computing: About Us". Julia Computing. Retrieved 22 Sep 2019.
- Thomas, Maria. "Not just "IT coolies": An Indian computer scientist built a new programming language in Bengaluru". Quartz India. Retrieved 2019-05-12.
- Nilekani, Nandan; Shah, Viral (2015). Rebooting India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations. India: Penguin Group. p. 340. ISBN 9780670087891.
- "SETWG Awards 2013" (PDF). Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- "Conservation through Coding: 5 Questions with Viral Shah". Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Jeff Bezanson, Stefan Karpinski, and Viral B. Shah - James H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software". Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- Viral B. Shah publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Nilekani, Nandan; Shah, Viral (8 Nov 2015). "Extract: Rebooting India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations". Live Mint.
- on YouTube
- on YouTube