Viral B. Shah
|Alma mater||UC Santa Barbara|
|Awards||J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software (2019)|
|Thesis||An Interactive System for Combinatorial Scientific Computing with an Emphasis on Programmer Productivity (2007)|
|Doctoral advisor||John R. Gilbert|
|Website||Viral B. Shah on Twitter|
Viral B Shah (Hindi: वीरल बी. शाह) is an Indian computer scientist, best known for being a co-creator of the Julia programming language. He was also actively involved in the initial design of the Aadhaar project in India which provides a 12-digit unique identity number to each Indian resident based on their biometric and demographic data. Based on his experiences implementing Aadhaar and other complex technology projects in government, he co-authored the book Rebooting India with Nandan Nilekani.
Shah is currently the CEO of JuliaHub (former company name Julia Computing), which he co-founded as Julia Computing with Julia co-creators, Jeff Bezanson, Alan Edelman, Stefan Karpinski as well as Keno Fischer and Deepak Vinchhi. In July 2021, Julia Computing raised $24 Million in Series A round led by Dorilton Ventures, with participation from Menlo Ventures, General Catalyst, and HighSage Ventures.
- In 2013, Shah received The Spatial Ecology and Telemetry Working Group (SETWG) award for co-creating Circuitscape with Brad McRae.
- In 2019, Shah was awarded the J. H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software with Jeff Bezanson and Stefan Karpinski for their work on the Julia programming language.
- Bryant, Avi. "Matlab, R, and Julia: Languages for data analysis". O'Reilly Strata.
- Krill, Paul. "New Julia language seeks to be the C for scientists". InfoWorld.
- Finley, Klint. "Out in the Open: Man Creates One Programming Language to Rule Them All". Wired.
- Gibbs, Mark. "Pure and Julia are cool languages worth checking out". Network World (column). Retrieved 24 April 2017.
- Thomas, Maria (20 April 2017). "An Indian computer scientist helped build an alternative programming language in Bengaluru". Quartz.
- PK, Jayadevan (19 October 2016). "Julia is killing it in the programming world. Meet its co-creator from India". FactorDaily.
- Nilekani, Nandan; Shah, Viral (2015). Rebooting India: Realizing a Billion Aspirations. Penguin Group.
- "Julia Computing: About Us". Julia Computing. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
- "Julia Computing raises $24 mln in funding round led by Dorilton Ventures". Reuters. 19 July 2021. Retrieved 22 August 2021.
- "SETWG Awards 2013" (PDF). Retrieved 16 September 2019.
- "Conservation through Coding: 5 Questions with Viral Shah". Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Jeff Bezanson, Stefan Karpinski, and Viral B. Shah - James H. Wilkinson Prize for Numerical Software". Retrieved 16 September 2019.
This article needs additional or more specific categories. (June 2023)