|Full name||Virdhawal Vikram Khade|
August 29, 1991|
Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||187 lb (85 kg)|
|2010 Guangzhou||50m Butterfly|
Virdhawal Vikram Khade (born in Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India) (Marathi: विरधवल खाडे) is an Indian swimmer. He competed in the men's 50 m, 100 m and 200 m Freestyle swimming events at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing setting an Indian national record in 100 m Freestyle while winning his unseeded heat, but failed to qualify for the semifinals in his events. He created history on 16 November 2010 when he won a medal after 24 years for India in swimming in the 50m butterfly category at the 2010 Asian games.
He is the national record-holder in the 50m, 100m, 200m and 400m Freestyle events and in the 50m Butterfly. Khade is Senior National Champion, 2006 in 50 m, 100 m, 200 m Freestyle and 50 m Butterfly. He won six Gold Medals and broke three Games Records at the South Asian Games, 2006 and won six Gold medals and broke five Games Records at the 33rd National Games, Guwahati.
He is the youngest ever Indian swimmer to qualify for an Olympics. Although he did not qualify for the semifinals of the 100m freestyle at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, he did finish first in his heat (Heat 3) and set a new personal best of 50.07 seconds, placing him 42nd overall. He came 48th in the 200 m freestyle and 32nd in the 50 m.
On 16 November 2010 Virdhawal Khade to win a medal at the Asian Games when he went on to capture the Bronze in the 50m Butterfly event at the 16th Asian Games. Sachin Nag was the first Indian to win a swimming gold medal in 1951 Asian games held in New Delhi. India had won five more medals (1 silver and 4 bronze in this game. , Guangzhou, China.
Virdhawal is coached by Nihar Ameen and trains in Bangalore. He is supported by GoSports Foundation, a sports non profit organisation that aims to promote sporting excellence in India. A few of his best timings are:
- 50m Freestyle: 22.58sec* clocked at the Asian Age group swimming Championships , Japan, August 2009
- 100m Freestyle: 49.47sec clocked at the Commonwealth Youth Games, Pune, India, October 2008
- 200m Freestyle: 1:49.86sec clocked at the Commonwealth Youth Games, Pune, India, October 2008
- 400m Freestyle: 4:01.87sec clocked at the 51st MILO/PRAM Malaysia Invitation Open, May 2008
- 50m Butterfly: 24.25sec clocked at the Commonwealth Youth Games, Pune, India, October 2008
- 100 Butterfly: 52.77sec clocked at Asian Age group swimming Championships , Japan , 2009
Virdhawal Khade was awarded with the Arjuna award 2011 in the swimming category.
He is the brand ambassador of Swimmathon. Swimmathon, open water swimming competition, held at Colva beach in South Goa on 3 December, 2017.
- "The boy who would be king", The Hindu, July 14, 2008. Retrieved on 2008-07-15.
- 100m Freestyle, Heat 3, 2008 Beijing Olympics
- "Khade is undisputed star of indian swimming". Rediff.com. Retrieved Dec 22, 2010.
- "Khade breaks 24-yr jinx in Asiad pool". India Today. November 17, 2010.
- "Pratham Books"
- "Vivek Phadnis. "Applying gloss to top talent", Deccan Herald, July 19, 2007. Retrieved on 2008-07-15.
- "Solid roots". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 10 February 2011.