Khade in 2008
|Full name||Virdhawal Vikram Khade|
|Born||29 August 1991|
Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India
|Height||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight||187 lb (85 kg)|
|2010 Guangzhou||50m Butterfly|
Virdhawal Vikram Khade (born 29 August 1991) (Marathi: विरधवल खाडे) is an Indian swimmer. He competed in the men's 50, 100, and 200 meters Freestyle swimming events at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, setting an Indian national record in 100 meters Freestyle. He failed to qualify for the semifinals in his events despite winning his qualification heat. Khade won a bronze medal in the 50 meters butterfly category at the 2010 Asian Games in Guangzhou; it was India's first Asian Games medal in swimming in 24 years. He was conferred with the Arjuna Award in 2011 by the Government of India.
Khade is the national record-holder in the 50m, 100m and 200m Freestyle events and in the 50m Butterfly. Khade is Senior National Champion, 2006 in 50m, 100m, 200m Freestyle and 50m Butterfly. He won six Gold Medals and broke three Games Records at the South Asian Games, 2006 and won six Gold medals and broke five Games Records at the 33rd National Games, Guwahati.
He is the youngest ever Indian swimmer to qualify for an Olympics. Although he did not qualify for the semifinals of the 100m freestyle at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, he did finish first in his heat (Heat 3) and set a new personal best of 50.07 seconds, placing him 42nd overall. He came 48th in the 200 m freestyle and 32nd in the 50 m.
On 16 November 2010 Virdhawal Khade to win a medal at the Asian Games when he went on to capture the Bronze in the 50m Butterfly event at the 16th Asian Games. Sachin Nag was the first Indian to win a swimming gold medal in 1951 Asian games held in New Delhi. India had won five more medals (1 silver and 4 bronze in this game. , Guangzhou, China.
A few of his best timings are:
- 50m Freestyle: 22.43sec clocked at 2018 Asian Games, Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia, August 2018
- 100m Freestyle: 49.47sec clocked at 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games, Pune, India, October 2008
- 200m Freestyle: 1:49.86sec clocked at 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games, Pune, India, October 2008
- 400m Freestyle: 4:01.87sec clocked at the 51st MILO/PRAM Malaysia Invitation Open, May 2008
- 50m Butterfly: 24.25sec clocked at 2008 Commonwealth Youth Games, Pune, India, October 2008
- 100 Butterfly: 52.77sec clocked at Asian Age group swimming Championships , Japan , 2009
Virdhawal Khade was awarded with the Arjuna award 2011 in the swimming category.
- "The boy who would be king", The Hindu, 14 July 2008. Retrieved on 2008-07-15.
- 100m Freestyle, Heat 3, 2008 Beijing Olympics
- "Khade is undisputed star of indian swimming". Rediff.com. 21 December 2010. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Khade breaks 24-yr jinx in Asiad pool". India Today. 17 November 2010.
- "Pratham Books"
- Phadnis, Vivek (19 July 2007). "Applying gloss to top talent". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 15 July 2008.
- "Solid roots". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 10 February 2011.
- Rayan, Stan (21 August 2018). "Asian Games 2018: Heartbreak for Virdhawal Khade". Retrieved 23 August 2018.