Virginia's 37th Senate district
State Senate District
|Current senator||Dave Marsden (D–Burke)|
Virginia's 37th Senate district is one of 40 districts in the Senate of Virginia. It has been represented by Democratic Senator Dave Marsden since a hotly contested 2010 special election to replace Republican Ken Cuccinelli, who had been elected Attorney General of Virginia.
District 37 is a serpentine district located entirely within Fairfax County in the suburbs of Washington, D.C., including some or all of Annandale, Kings Park, West Springfield, Burke, Fair Oaks, and Centreville, among other communities.
Recent election results
|Democratic||Dave Marsden (incumbent)|
|Democratic||Dave Marsden (incumbent)||18,966||55.4|
|Democratic||Dave Marsden (incumbent)||19,841||53.7|
Federal and statewide results in District 37
All election results below took place prior to 2011 redistricting, and thus were under different district lines.
|Democratic gain from Republican|
|Republican||Ken Cuccinelli (incumbent)||18,602||50.0|
|Republican||Ken Cuccinelli (incumbent)||16,762||53.3|
|Democratic||James Mitchell III||14,658||46.6|
|Republican||Warren E. Barry (incumbent)||29,524||99.4|
|Republican||Warren E. Barry (incumbent)||28,135||98.9|
- "State Senate District 37, VA". Census Reporter. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Registrant Counts by District Type" (PDF). Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Elections. June 2019.
- "District 37 Description". David W. Marsden. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- David Jarman. "How do counties, House districts, and legislative districts all overlap?". Daily Kos. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Virginia State Senate District 37". Ballotpedia. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Elections Database". Virginia Board of Elections. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Daily Kos Elections Statewide Results by LD". Daily Kos. Retrieved 27 August 2019.