Sandgate Road, 2014
|Population||2,209 (2016 census (suburb))|
|• Density||736/km2 (1,910/sq mi)|
|Area||3.0 km2 (1.2 sq mi)|
|Time zone||AEST (UTC+10:00)|
|Location||13.9 km (9 mi) NNE of Brisbane GPO|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
(Deagon Ward; Northgate Ward)
Vincent is located 13.9 kilometres (8.6 mi) by road north of the Brisbane central business district. It is primarily a residential suburb with many timber and tin Queenslander style housing. Virginia has a number of large parks, a golf course and a creek.
Virginia State School opened on 2 February 1920.
Virginia State School is a government primary (Prep-6) school for boys and girls at 1678 Sandgate Road ( In 2018, the school had an enrolment of 440 students with 33 teachers (27 full-time equivalent) and 19 non-teaching staff (12 full-time equivalent). It includes a special education program.).
The median age of the Virginia population was 34 years, 3 years below the Australian median. Children aged under 15 years made up 18.9% of the population and people aged 65 years and over made up 11.6% of the population.
74.6% of people living in Virginia were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were New Zealand 4%, England 2.5%, India 1.6%, China 1.4%, Papua New Guinea 0.7%.
83.7% of people spoke only English at home; the next most popular languages were 1.3% Mandarin, 1% Punjabi, 0.7% Japanese, 0.5% Filipino, 0.5% Spanish.
Virginia is extremely well connect to Brisbane CBD, the Brisbane Airport, Redcliffe Peninsula, Shorncliffe and Brisbane in general. Two railway lines run through the suburb. Virginia railway station provides an express, limited stops Queensland Rail City network service to the CBD, Redcliffe Peninsula and Caboolture. Bindha railway station provides access to regular Queensland Rail City network services to Brisbane and Shorncliffe.
One of Brisbane Transport's bus depots is based in Virginia.
Heritage-listed sites in Virginia include:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Virginia (SSC)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
- "Deagon Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 9 March 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Northgate Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 12 March 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Virginia - suburb in City of Brisbane (entry 43503)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 12 October 2020.
- Brisbane, City Council. "Virginia parks". www.brisbane.qld.gov.au. Archived from the original on 12 April 2020. Retrieved 28 September 2020.
- Queensland Family History Society (2010), Queensland schools past and present (Version 1.01 ed.), Queensland Family History Society, ISBN 978-1-921171-26-0
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Virginia (QLD, State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "State and non-state school details". Queensland Government. 9 July 2018. Archived from the original on 21 November 2018. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Virginia State School". Archived from the original on 12 April 2019. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "ACARA School Profile 2018". Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority. Archived from the original on 27 August 2020. Retrieved 28 January 2020.
- "Virginia Golf Club". Virginia Golf Club. Archived from the original on 14 April 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Virginia State School (entry 602860)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Virginia, Queensland.|