|Population||2,061 (2011 census)|
|• Density||644/km2 ( 1,668/sq mi)|
|Area||3.2 km2 (1.2 sq mi)|
|Location||11 km (7 mi) from Brisbane|
|LGA(s)||City of Brisbane|
(Deagon Ward; Northgate Ward)
Virginia is a suburb in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It is located 10 kilometres (6.2 mi) north of the Brisbane central business district. It is primarily a residential suburb with many timber and tin Queenslander style housing. The suburb was named after the Virginia Brick Company, founded in 1897, near the Virginia Railway Station, which the station opened in 1888.
One of Brisbane Transport's bus depots is based in Virginia.
The median age of the Virginia population was 34 years, 3 years below the Australian median. Children aged under 15 years made up 18.9% of the population and people aged 65 years and over made up 11.6% of the population.
74.6% of people living in Virginia were born in Australia, compared to the national average of 69.8%; the next most common countries of birth were New Zealand 4%, England 2.5%, India 1.6%, China 1.4%, Papua New Guinea 0.7%.
83.7% of people spoke only English at home; the next most popular languages were 1.3% Mandarin, 1% Punjabi, 0.7% Japanese, 0.5% Filipino, 0.5% Spanish.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (January 2019)
Heritage-listed sites in Virginia include:
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Virginia (QLD, State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- "Deagon Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Northgate Ward". Brisbane City Council. Brisbane City Council. Retrieved 12 March 2017.
- "Virginia Golf Club". Virginia Golf Club. Archived from the original on 14 April 2014. Retrieved 28 April 2014.
- "Virginia State School (entry 602860)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 29 January 2018.
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: Virginia
- "Virginia". BRISbites. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 24 July 2008.
- "Virginia". Our Brisbane. Brisbane City Council. Archived from the original on 6 March 2008.