|Created by||Greg Garcia|
Baylie and Rylie Cregut
|Narrated by||Lucas Neff
|Opening theme||"Daddy-O" by The Freelance Economy(Kerry Smith)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||4|
|No. of episodes||88 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Gregory Thomas Garcia
Michael Fresco (pilot only)
|Producer(s)||Henry J. Lange Jr.
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Amigos de Garcia Productions
Slowly I Turned Productions (season 4)
20th Century Fox Television
|Picture format||SDTV 480i
|Original release||September 21, 2010– April 4, 2014|
Raising Hope is an American sitcom that aired from September 21, 2010, to April 4, 2014, on Fox. Following its first season, the show received two nominations at the 63rd Primetime Emmy Awards. Martha Plimpton was nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series and Cloris Leachman was nominated for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series. Plimpton also won the 2011 Satellite Award for Best Actress in a Comedy Series.
The fourth season premiered Friday, November 15, 2013, at 9:00 pm Eastern/8:00 pm Central with back-to-back episodes. On March 10, 2014, Fox canceled Raising Hope, and the series finale aired April 4, 2014.
James "Jimmy" Chance is a 23-year old, living in the surreal fictional town of Natesville, who impregnates a serial killer during a one-night stand. Earning custody of his daughter, Hope, after the mother is sentenced to death, Jimmy relies on his oddball but well-intentioned family for support in raising the child.
Cast and characters
- Lucas Neff as James "Jimmy" Bon Jovi Chance, Hope's father. A good-natured, wide-eyed 23-year old who is clueless about raising a child and everything else.
- Martha Plimpton as Virginia Slims Chance. Hope's grandmother, Jimmy's mother, and Burt's wife. Virginia became pregnant with Jimmy at age fifteen, delivering him when she was sixteen.
- Garret Dillahunt as "Burt" Jebbidiah Chance. Hope's grandfather, Jimmy's father, and Virginia's husband. Burt conceived Jimmy with Virginia when he was seventeen. He has a lawn care/pool cleaning business with Jimmy as his assistant.
- Shannon Woodward as Sabrina Collins, Jimmy's coworker and love interest.
- Baylie and Rylie Cregut as Hope Chance (born Princess Beyonce Carlyle), Jimmy and Lucy's daughter, Virginia and Burt's granddaughter and Maw Maw's great-great-granddaughter.
- Gregg Binkley as Barney Hughes (Recurring Season 1, starring Season 2-4), Manager of the store where Jimmy and Sabrina work.
- Cloris Leachman as Barbara June "Maw Maw" Thompson (Recurring Season 1, starring Season 2-4), Virginia's 84-year-old grandmother, Jimmy's great-grandmother, and Hope's great-great-grandmother.
Development and production
Actress Olesya Rulin was originally cast as Sabrina, the love interest for Jimmy, and Kate Micucci was added to the cast as Jimmy's cousin. The pilot was filmed in December 2009. In March 2010, Fox decided to recast two roles from the pilot. Shannon Woodward replaced Rulin as Sabrina. Also recast was the role of Jimmy's cousin, changing from Micucci to male actor Skyler Stone as Mike. With this, Micucci's role changed from Jimmy's cousin to become Shelley, Sabrina's cousin.
On January 10, 2011, Fox renewed Raising Hope for a second season. On April 9, 2012, Raising Hope was renewed for a third season. On March 4, 2013, Raising Hope was renewed for a fourth season. On March 10, 2014, Fox announced the cancellation of the show after four seasons.
Raising Hope has received positive reviews from critics. The show's first season received an average score of 75 out of 100 on Metacritic, meaning it received "generally favorable reviews." Tom Gilatto of [monkeys] called the show the best new sitcom of the season, favorably comparing it to Malcolm in the Middle. Mary McNamara of the Los Angeles Times was lukewarm towards the show, stating that "Raising Hope is funny, sweet, occasionally provocative, and occasionally over-the-top in a regrettable way." James Poniewozik of Time Magazine was upbeat, stating that "Neff is amiably charming, Dillahunt and Plimpton give their characters a realism that belies the pilot's often-contemptuous jokes, and maybe 20% of the first episode shows a sweet-heartedness that rises above the easy white-trash humor." While not all of the reviews were positive, they were mostly positive by the end of the first season. Much of the show's praise went to the performances of Martha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt.
The second season of Raising Hope premiered on September 20, 2011 on Fox, moving to 9:30 pm from its original 8:00 pm time slot, due to the acquisition of New Girl. The second season received similar positive reviews to the first, with Matt Roush of TV Guide calling it "A treat for anyone who loves a good call-back to classic sitcoms."
|Season||Timeslot (ET/PT)||Episodes||Premiered||Ended||TV Season||Rank||Viewers
Tuesday 8:00 pm (March 6 – April 3, 2012)
Thursday 9:00 pm (March 28, 2013)
Awards and nominations
|2010||Satellite Awards||Best Television Series – Comedy or Musical||Raising Hope||Nominated|
|Jamison Awards||Favorite Avery Laugh Award||Won|
|2011||Casting Society of America||Outstanding Achievement in Casting – Television Pilot – Comedy||Dava Waite||Won|
|Emmy Awards||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series||Martha Plimpton||Nominated|
|Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series||Cloris Leachman||Nominated|
|People's Choice Awards||Favorite New TV Comedy||Raising Hope||Nominated|
|Satellite Awards||Best Actress in a TV series – Comedy or Musical||Martha Plimpton||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV – Breakout Show||Raising Hope||Nominated|
|Television Critics Association Awards||Outstanding Achievement in Comedy||Nominated|
|Critics' Choice Television Award||Best Actress in a Comedy Series||Martha Plimpton||Nominated|
|Young Artist Awards||Best Performance in a TV Series – Recurring Young Actress 11–16||Kelly Heyer||Nominated|
|2012||Motion Picture Sound Editors||Best Sound Editing – Music for Short Form Television||Sharyn M. Tylk and Susan Ham||Won|
|Young Artist Awards||Best Young Actress Recurring in a Television Series||Kelly Heyer||Nominated|
|Critics' Choice Television Award||Best Comedy Actress||Martha Plimpton||Nominated|
|Best Comedy Actor||Garret Dillahunt||Nominated|
|Emmy Awards||Outstanding Original Music and Lyrics||Matthew Thompson||Nominated|
In Canada, the first season aired on the Global Television Network at the same time as Fox in the United States. In 2011, City bought rights from the Global Television Network, and began broadcasting the show. On the morning show that City airs, Breakfast Television, they announced on May 29, 2011 that the series will start airing at 8:00 pm on Tuesdays instead of 9:30 pm on Tuesdays due to other Fox series Glee moving to Thursdays at 9:00pm. This started on September 18, 2012.
- Gorman, Bill (July 13, 2010). "Fox Announces Fall Premiere Dates For 2010–11 Season". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved July 13, 2010.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 21, 2013). "FOX Reschedules 'Almost Human', 'Raising Hope' Premieres". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 21, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 10, 2014). "'Raising Hope' Canceled After Four Seasons by FOX". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved March 10, 2014.
- "Development Update: Tuesday, June 30". The Futon Critic. June 30, 2009. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- Andreeva, Nellie (January 5, 2010). "Fox, CBS pick up pilots". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 17, 2010). "Josh Cooke cast as male lead in comedy pilot". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- Andreeva, Nellie (March 10, 2010). "Several pilots expand casts". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2010.
- "Development Update: Thursday, March 18". The Futon Critic. March 18, 2010. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- "Fox Announces Primetime Slate for 2010–2011 Season". The Futon Critic. May 17, 2010. Retrieved June 8, 2010.
- Schneider, Michael (May 13, 2010). "Fox, NBC, ABC pick up more shows for fall". Variety. Archived from the original on June 3, 2010. Retrieved June 3, 2010.
- Sullivan, Brian Ford (January 10, 2011). "Exclusive: FOX Gives "Raising Hope" Second Season". The Futon Critic. Retrieved January 11, 2011.
- Andreeva, Nellie (April 9, 2012). "Fox Renews 'Glee', 'New Girl' And Raising Hope". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara. "'The Following', 'New Girl', 'The Mindy Project' & 'Raising Hope' Renewed by FOX". Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- "Raising Hope – Season 1 Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More". Metacritic. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Critic Reviews for Raising Hope Season 1". Metacritic. October 22, 2010. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- : Matt Roush (September 20, 2011). "Critic Reviews for Raising Hope Season 2". Metacritic. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "TV Ratings Tuesday: 'Glee' Sings; Modest Starts for 'Running Wilde,' 'Raising Hope,' 'Detroit 1–8–7?; 'Parenthood' Down – Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'Breaking In', 'The Good Wife', 'Body of Proof' Adjusted Down; 'NCIS', 'NCIS: LA,' 'Glee', 'The Biggest Loser' Adjusted Up – Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. May 18, 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "2010–11 Season Broadcast Primetime Show Viewership Averages – Ratings | TVbytheNumbers". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. June 1, 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Tuesday Finals: 'New Girl', 'Glee', 'NCIS', DWTS Results Adjusted Up; 'Body of Proof' Adjusted Down – Ratings". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 18, 2012). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'Biggest Loser' & 'DWTS' Adjusted Up; 'Raising Hope' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- "Complete List Of 2011–12 Season TV Show Viewership: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops, Followed By 'American Idol,' 'NCIS' & 'Dancing With The Stars' – Ratings". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- Bibel, Sara (October 3, 2012). "Tuesday Final Ratings: 'NCIS', 'The Voice', & 'Dancing With the Stars' Special Adjusted Up; 'Go On', 'Vegas' & 'Parenthood' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (March 29, 2013). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'American Idol' & 'Grey's Anatomy' Adjusted Up; 'Raising Hope' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 7, 2013.
- "Complete List Of 2012-13 Season TV Show Viewership: 'Sunday Night Football' Tops, Followed By 'NCIS', 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'NCIS: Los Angeles' – Ratings". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. May 29, 2012. Retrieved September 18, 2013.
- "TV Ratings Friday: 'Bones' Falls in New Timeslot, 'Raising Hope' Returns Low, 'Grimm', 'Hawaii Five-0' & 'The Carrie Diaries' Up, 'Dracula' Flat". Tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com. November 16, 2013. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (April 7, 2014). "Friday Final Ratings: 'Shark Tank', 'Last Man Standing', 'Hawaii Five-0' & 'Grimm' Adjusted Up; 'Unforgettable', 'Dateline' & 'Hart of Dixie' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "2010". International Press Academy. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "2011 Artios Awards". Casting Society of America. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "63rd Emmy Awards Nominees and Winners". Television Academy. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "Nominations Announced For The "People's Choice Awards 2011"". TV by the Numbers. November 9, 2010. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "2011". International Press Academy. Retrieved 18 December 2016.
- "SKY1'S AUTUMN SHOWCASE". Skyone. August 8, 2010. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
- "Raising Hope". Foxlife.canais-fox.pt. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Aiutami Hope – guida TV – FOX | solo su SKY canale 111". Foxtv.it. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Vychovávat Hope (1) – HBO Česká republika". Hbo.cz. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "ISAT | Página no encontrada". Isat.tv. Archived from the original on October 6, 2011. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Raising Hope". Global Television Network. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "Raising Hope". citytv.com. April 17, 2012. Retrieved August 17, 2012.
- "Subin kevät tarjoilee ulkomaisia hittikomedioita ja laatusarjoja". Retrieved November 14, 2012.
- "RTL Nitro zeigt "Raising Hope" und "Alcatraz"". wunschliste.de. Retrieved August 16, 2012.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Raising Hope|