Virginia Film Office
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Andy Edmunds, Director|
Number of employees
The Virginia Film Office is a part of the Virginia Tourism Corporation, located in Richmond, VA.
The Virginia Film Office was founded in 1980, at the forefront of a new era in film production. The state of Virginia has numerous types of media production, from documentaries and television to short and feature film. The office is a part of the Virginia Tourism Corporation, whose goal is “supporting, maintaining and expanding … the tourism and motion picture production industries in order to increase visitor expenditures, tax revenues and employment.” Filmmakers have chosen Virginia as a desirable spot due to its wide range of shooting locations. These locations have drawn many films to Virginia, including Dirty Dancing, What About Bob, Hannibal, Lassie, Evan Almighty, the HBO Miniseries John Adams, Terrence Malick's The New World, as well as Steven Spielberg's Lincoln. Currently, AMC's revolutionary war series Turn: Washington's Spies is filming in central Virginia as well as PBS series Mercy Street.
Virginia’s incentive package is based on two different funds: One is the Governor’s Motion Picture Opportunity Fund, which is a grant fund. The other is the Virginia Motion Picture Tax Credit fund, which is a refundable tax credit program. In addition to the incentive funds, the state also has a Sales and Use Tax Exemption that applies to the purchase of production related supplies and equipment. Hotel stays of 30 days or more are also exempt from state sales tax and some local lodging taxes.
- The Governor's Motion Picture Opportunity Fund
- Virginia Motion Picture Production Tax Credit
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption
- Lodging Tax Exemptions
The Virginia Film Office has a staff of 5, headed by Film Office Director Andy Edmunds. Other staff members include Deputy Director Mary Nelson, Project Manager Dawn Blacksten, and assistants Margaret Finucane and Emily Wyman.
- Virginia Tourism Corp., Virginia Tourism Corporation, 07-18-2011
- Dirty Dancing: filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 07-18-2011
- What About Bob: filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 08-03-2011
- Hannibal: filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 08-03-2011
- Lassie (1994): filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 07-18-2011
- Evan Almighty: filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 07-18-2011
- John Adams: filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 07-18-2011
- The New World: filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 10-17-2014
- Lincoln (2012): filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 10-17-2014
- Turn: Washington's Spies (2014): filming locations, Internet Movie Database, 10-16-2014
- Virginia Film Office: tax incentives , Virginia Film Office, 10-18-2014
- Meet the Film Office, Virginia Film Office, 10-17-2014
- Film Office Director: andy edmunds, Richmond Times-Dispatch, 05-18-2014