Virginia Orr Maes
Virginia Orr Maes (1920–1986) was an American malacologist associated with the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia. Thanks to her collecting, the Academy has an exceptionally fine collection of turrids. She married Robert A. Maes in 1963. They had no children.
Taxa named in honor
Gastropods named in honor of Virginia Orr Maes include one genus, six species and one subspecies:
- Genus Maesiella McLean in McLean & Poorman, 1971
- Anarithma maesi Drivas & Jay, 1986
- Fusiturricula maesae Rios, 1985
- Maesiella maesae McLean & Poorman, 1971
- Pugnus maesae Roth, 1972
- Simnia maesae Cate, 1973
- Taheitia orrae Turner, 1959
- Subspecies Strombus urceus orrae Abbott, 1960 - now considered to be a synonym of Canarium urceus urceus (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Robertson R. (1987). "Virginia Orr Maes (1920-1986): Biography and Malacological Bibliography". Proceedings of the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia 139: 527-532.
- Bouchet, P. (2011). Canarium urceus urceus (Linnaeus, 1758). Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=532185 on 2011-08-08