Virginia Township, Coshocton County, Ohio
|Virginia Township, Coshocton County, Ohio|
The Adams-Gray House
Location of Virginia Township in Coshocton County
|• Total||25.1 sq mi (64.9 km2)|
|• Land||24.8 sq mi (64.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||804 ft (245 m)|
|• Density||24/sq mi (9.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085929|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Jackson Township - north
- Franklin Township - east
- Adams Township, Muskingum County - southeast corner
- Cass Township, Muskingum County - south
- Washington Township - west
Name and history
Virginia Township was organized in 1828. The first permanent settler in the township was Richard Tilton, a native of Redstone Old Fort in Pennsylvania, who established himself in late 1805.:611 Baptists were the first church to organize in the township, starting a congregation on Section 16 either in 1816 or 1818,:612 while the township's first school was formed in 1818.:613
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Virginia township, Coshocton County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 2, 2015.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 60. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
- Graham, Albert Adams (1881). History of Coshocton County, Ohio: Its Past and Present, 1740-1881. A. A. Graham.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Hunt, William Ellis (1876). Historical Collections of Coshocton County, Ohio. R. Clarke & Company. p. 3.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.