Viridor (from the Latin 'to become green') is a recycling, renewable energy and waste management company in the United Kingdom, owned by Pennon Group, a FTSE 250 plc focused on the water and waste management industries.
The company was formed in 1956 as Harrison Western Ltd, later becoming Haul Waste Ltd. Haul Waste became part of Pennon (then South West Water Ltd) in 1993, and grew by purchasing companies in the waste collection and landfill disposal market.
In 1995 it bought Blue Circle Waste Management, bringing about in 1998 South West Water's name change to Pennon Group, and the merger of Haul Waste and Blue Circle Waste Management under Viridor. It subsequently acquired part of Churngold's waste business in June 2003, Thames Waste Management in 2004, Somerset LAWDC Wyvern Waste in 2006, Grosvenor Waste Management and Skipaway Holdings in 2007, and Shore Recycling in 2008.
Today the business is valued at over £1.5Bn, with recent acquisitions and growth focused on expanding the company's recycling and energy from waste capacity. Viridor was awarded the Greater Manchester Waste PFI contract, the largest waste and renewable energy contract in the UK.
- List of waste management companies
- List of solid waste treatment technologies
- Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority
- Pennon Group: History
- Viridor buys Thames Waste and expands landfill capacity
- Pennon Group announces the acquisition of Wyvern Waste Services
- Viridor buys Grosvenor Waste Management for £81m
- Pennon Group's Viridor acquires UK waste management company for £14.7m
- Pennon buys recycle firm for £23m
- State of the Art Technology for Greater Manchester, www.gmdwa.gov.uk, Retrieved 2007-10-19
- Channel 4 - Undercover Boss Series 2 Episode 5 Retrieved 2010-08-12
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Viridor.|
|This waste-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a company of the UK is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|