|Uganda Catholic Medical Bureau|
|Location||Fort Portal, Kabarole District, Western Region, Uganda|
|Affiliated university||Uganda Martyrs University|
|Other links||Hospitals in Uganda|
The hospital is located along the Fort Portal–Kasese–Mpondwe Road, within the central business district of the town of Fort Portal, in Western Uganda, in the foothills of the Rwenzori Mountains. It lies about 3 kilometres (2 mi), southwest of Fort Portal Regional Referral Hospital. This is about 180 kilometres (110 mi), northwest of Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital. The coordinates of Virika Hospital are: 0°38'16.0"N, 30°16'06.0"E (Latitude:0.637767; Longitude:30.268329).
Holy Family Virika Hospital is a private, non-profit, community hospital owned by the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Portal. It is accredited to the Uganda Catholic Medical Bureau, and it is administered by the Sisters of the Daughters of Saint Thereza of the Child Jesus, a religious congregation. The hospital serves patients from within Kabarole District and from the neighboring districts of Kasese, Bundibugyo, Kamwenge, Kyenjojo and Kibaale. The hospital runs the Bishop Magambo Counselor Training Institute, which offers a Master of Arts in Counseling degree, in collaboration with Uganda Martyrs University. The hospital also runs the Virika Hospital School of Nursing.
Founded as a dispensary in 1911, by the White Sisters of our Lady of Africa, Virika Hospital gradually developed from those humble beginnings. In 1962 the hospital was handed over to the Medical Mission Sisters who expanded the facilities and established the Virika School of Nursing. The hospital was handed over to the Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Portal in 1975. The diocese entrusted the management of the institution to the religious congregation of the Sisters of the Daughters of Saint Thereza of the Child Jesus. In February 1994, Virika hospital suffered major earthquake damage affecting 95% of the buildings. Repairs to the damage lasted from 1995 until 2000.
- Tumusiime, G. (2010). "Surgical Mortality at a Mission Hospital in Western Uganda". East & Central African Journal of Surgery, 2010, Vol. 15 Issue 2. p. 18 - 23. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- GFC (27 May 2016). "Distance between Kabarole Referral Hospital (Buhinga), Fort Portal, Western Region, Uganda and Virika Hospital, Fort Portal, Western Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- GFC (27 May 2016). "Distance between Virika Hospital, Fort Portal, Western Region, Uganda and Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital, Mbarara, Western Region, Uganda". Globefeed.com (GFC). Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- Google (27 May 2016). "Location of Virika Hospital, Fort Portal, Kabarole District, Western Region, Uganda" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- RCDFP (2014). "Overview of Holy Family Virika Hospital". Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Portal (RCDFP). Retrieved 27 May 2016.
- RCDFP (2014). "Brief History of Holy Family Virika Hospital". Roman Catholic Diocese of Fort Portal (RCDFP). Retrieved 27 May 2016.