Library of Virrat
Location of Virrat in Finland
|Sub-region||Upper Pirkanmaa sub-region|
|• Town manager||Vesa Haapamäki|
|• Total||1,299.07 km2 (501.57 sq mi)|
|• Land||1,162.34 km2 (448.78 sq mi)|
|• Water||136.73 km2 (52.79 sq mi)|
|Area rank||87th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||140th largest in Finland|
|• Density||6/km2 (20/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.5% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||13.4%|
|• 15 to 64||61.7%|
|• 65 or older||25%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.75%|
It is part of the Pirkanmaa region. The town has a population of 6,972 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 1,299.07 square kilometres (501.57 sq mi) of which 136.73 km2 (52.79 sq mi) is water. The population density is 6 inhabitants per square kilometre (16/sq mi). Apart from the town of Virrat itself, the administratively defined municipality is largely rural, and includes the villages of Äijänneva, Härkönen Jäähdyspohja, Killinkoski, Koro, Kotala, Kurjenkylä, Liedenpohja, Ohtola, Vaskuu and Vaskivesi.
The town grew rapidly in the middle years of the twentieth century, and by 1950 the population reached more than 12,000. Virrat acquired town status in 1977, although it had received the right to hold markets three years earlier, in 1974. More recently the population level has been adversely impacted by the drift of employment opportunities and people to the larger towns.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Virrat at Wikimedia Commons
- Town of Virrat – Official site (Finnish), (English), (German)
|This Western Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|