Virternity, or virtual eternity, is the concept that humans can transfer their consciousness into a virtual realm, thus achieving a form of immortality. It is described in David Evans Bailey’s book Virternity: The quest for a virtual eternity: A treatise on the aims and goals of the Virternity Project as "a future where humans span both the physical and digital world."
According to Evans Bailey, the concept of virternity is an extension of virtual reality. However, Sina Shirazi hypothesizes that the concept is closer to mixed reality (MR), sometimes referred to as hybrid reality, where physical and digital objects can co-exist and interact in real time via immersive technology.
The principle of virtnerity is that an extension of human capabilities and lives can be achieved by creating human-like models that store human memories and mimic the human behaviour, expressions, and feelings. Some key technologies for the realisation of those human-like models are based on virtual reality, augmented reality, and novel mixed realities. These realities are essential building blocks for any possibility of virternity.
A virtual alternative could be used to support capturing and digital storage of human memories into accessible usable form, or shared memory models that can help knowledge sharing between different individuals and groups. The process would include memory coding from data received through vision, touch or voice. Examples of receiving sensors are a visual sensor network, neural networks and blockchain technology.
Virternity could facilitate a move away from physical offices through web conferencing and file sharing allowing people to communicate and access data simultaneously.
Virternity and blockchain
Evans Bailey states that blockchain, commonly known as a distributed public ledger, is the ideal host for this virtual reality due to its unchangeable and unfalsifiable information and continuous data storage. With a central part of virternity as a concept centering around digital currency, a virtual economy could be created through the use of cryptocurrency, using blockchain technology and retinal scanning for security. In 2018, a blockchain project and digital cryptocurrency project was started, aiming to create a broader version of virtnerity with the goal of uploading consciousness.
- Bailey, David Evans. "CHAPTER ONE Virternity; Project Virtual Eternity, an exploration into the possibility of a virtual life". Cite journal requires
- Shirazi, Sina. "Pairing Augmented Reality with Virtual Reality". Cite journal requires
- Rushdi, Muhammad (2017-11-05). Virtual, Augmented, and Mixed Realities: Concepts, Games, Applications, and Long-Term Immersion Effects for the Virternity Project.
- Rushdi, Muhammad (2017-05-15). On the Aspects of Memory, Shared Memory, and Artificial Consciousness in the Virternity Project.
- Shirazi, Sina. "Memory Coding and Storage in Virternity Space". Cite journal requires
- Shirazi, Sina. "Virtual Office Premises (Common Workspaces in Virternity)". Cite journal requires
- "Potential of Blockchain Technology as Protocol of Universal Virtual Reality". TurboFuture. Retrieved 2018-10-17.
- "Virternity Roadmap" (PDF).