Virtua Fighter 5
|Virtua Fighter 5|
PlayStation 3 Ver.B
Xbox 360 Ver.C
|Arcade system||Sega Lindbergh|
Virtua Fighter 5 (Japanese: バーチャファイター5 Hepburn: Bācha Faitā Faibu?) is the fifth installment in Sega's Virtua Fighter series of arcade fighting games and direct sequel to Virtua Fighter 4: Final Tuned. The original version was released on the Sega Lindbergh arcade system board. The first location tests took place on November 26, 2005  leading to the official release on July 12, 2006 in Japanese arcades. An export version, based on Version B, was released to arcades outside of Japan in February 2007.
The revised Version B update was released in Japanese arcades in December 2006 and was ported to the PlayStation 3, for which it was released on February 20, 2007 (despite the advertised date of February 23) and was a launch title for the console's European release on March 23, 2007. "Version C" was released in Japanese arcades in July 2007 and was ported to the Xbox 360, for which it was released on October 26, 2007 in Europe and October 30, 2007 in North America.
- Throw speed has been reduced, from 8 frames to 12 frames. In addition, "Instant", or 0-frame throws re-appear from Virtua Fighter 3 in guaranteed throw situations (such as during an evade).
- To encourage a more "moral" style of play, Sega introduced the Clash System: when initiated with the right timing, an attack can be canceled out with a throw, creating a clash and leaving both players at +0 frame advantage (neutral).
- Offensive Move: pressing Punch + Kick + Guard during an evade will initiate an angled forward dash. In addition, pressing Punch or Kick during OM will initiate an attack which can lead to side or back stagger or crumple, leading to a guaranteed combo opportunity.
- The Xbox 360 version introduced online support via Xbox Live, which allowed two players from around the world to battle over the internet. Developers have also suggested that the PS3 version could also be online-enabled in the form of a downloadable patch. This was later discounted by Sega's Jay Boor who told : "at this time SEGA has no plans to release a patch for the PS3 version of Virtua Fighter 5."
- Version C of Virtua Fighter 5 was used for the 360 version which fixed up some gameplay issues, while the PS3 version used version B.
- Different items are available in the Xbox 360 port of the game in Quest mode, as it is based upon Version C.
- On January 16, 2008 the Xbox 360 version received an update, which made improvements and changes to online play and quest mode.
All of the sought after invitations for the Fifth World Fighting Tournament have been sent and now the 17 best fighters in the world begin their final phases of preparation. They must learn from their prior mistakes and perfect every aspect of their mind, body, and soul - for there is no room for mistakes in this competition. Little do they know that J6, the organization funding the tournament, has sinister ulterior motives for the contest and the company's top secret Dural program is already well underway. In the organization's quest for world domination, the scientists at J6 are creating the ultimate fighting machine with human features. Their first model was defeated in the Fourth World Fighting Tournament, which drove them to kidnap Vanessa. She was able to escape with the help of an insider, but not before they captured her combat data and transferred it to the new advanced Dural model named V-Dural.
J6 is determined to find out who the inside traitor is that released Vanessa and more importantly, if V-Dural is indeed ready to defeat the world's best fighters. The Fifth World Fighting Tournament will reveal both - let it begin.
- Akira Yuki
- Pai Chan
- Lau Chan
- Wolf Hawkfield
- Jeffry McWild
- Sarah Bryant
- Jacky Bryant
- Shun Di
- Lion Rafale
- Aoi Umenokoji
- Vanessa Lewis
- Brad Burns
- Goh Hinogami
- Taka-Arashi (Virtua Fighter 5 R/ Final Showdown)
PlayStation 3 version
The PlayStation 3 port is based around the older Version B revision. On January 16, 2008 Sega confirmed online features will not be added to the PlayStation 3 version due to the Version B's technical limitations.
Xbox 360 version
The Xbox 360 port of Virtua Fighter 5, known as Virtua Fighter 5 Online in North America and Virtua Fighter 5 Live Arena in Japan, benefits from the additions and refinements that have been made to the Version C arcade revision, including online play and an online update ability.
Virtua Fighter 5 R
On February 14, 2008, at the AOU Amusement Expo, Sega AM2 announced a revision to Virtua Fighter 5 known as Virtua Fighter 5 R. This new version was released for the Arcades on July 24, 2008 and features brand new stages as well as a new character named Jean Kujo, who practices Karate. The sumo wrestler Taka-Arashi also returns, making his first appearance since Virtua Fighter 3 and bringing the fighter count up to 20 (counting Dural).
Version B of Virtua Fighter 5 R was officially released in the Japanese arcades on May 21, 2009. This version featured changes in the animations of moves on all the characters, as well as changes to enhance the gameplay modes, and an improved camera system. Version C was released on November 25, 2009. However this particular version mainly added new team items for the character's outfits.
Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown
On February 18, 2010, Sega released a trailer for a second revision called Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown. This update for the Sega Lindbergh arcade system debuted at the 2010 AOU Expo, and features new character costumes and new animations. The game was officially released in Japanese arcades on July 29, 2010. Version A of Final Showdown was released on April 20, 2011 at the Japanese arcades. It was announced at Gamescom 2011 that Final Showdown would be coming to PlayStation 3 on June 5, 2012 and Xbox 360 on June 6, 2012, complete with online play for both platforms. The game was released in downloadable format. Within a week Final Showdown surpassed Japanese Sale Goals expectations. Version B of Final Showdown was released on March 25, 2015 at the Japanese arcades, and removes internet functionality. The game is playable in PlayStation 4 exclusive Yakuza 6, as one of its play spots.
The PlayStation 3 version debuted at #1 on the Japanese charts on February 20. The game received significant critical acclaim from most reviewers. Edge ranked the game #24 on its list of "The 100 Best Games To Play Today" (the highest-rated 3D fighter on the list), stating "One of gaming's great myths is that VF is inaccessible to all but the initiated. It takes care of frame-counting junkies, of course, but the core of AM2's series is a beautiful balance of attack, block and counter-attack that anyone can enjoy. Each new entry refines, making that solid animation even more seamless and introducing new characters that seem like they were always there."
Final Showdown received a 9/10 from Eurogamer, which called it "deeper than any of its peers." Edge favorably compared Final Showdown with Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Soul Calibur V, and Mortal Kombat, noting "Its prudence, that veil of simplicity masking a system of astonishing possibility and depth, makes it one of the purest fighting games on the market today." The game was featured in 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die, with journalist Richard Stanton stating "No matter how good the latest Street Fighter or Tekken is, they'll still be undisciplined teenagers compared to Virtua Fighter's cool, mature mastery of fighting."
- "「バーチャファイター5」公式ウェブサイトリニューアルオープン！" (Press release). Sega Corporation. July 12, 2006. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「VERSION A」稼働開始のお知らせ。" (Press release). Sega Corporation. October 17, 2006. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「バーチャファイター５ VERSION B」12月14日より稼働開始のお知らせ。" (Press release). Sega Corporation. December 12, 2006. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「VERSION C」稼働開始のお知らせ。" (Press release). Sega Corporation. July 24, 2007. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「Virtua Fighter5 R」全国稼動開始！" (Press release). Sega Corporation. July 24, 2008. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「VF5R VERSION A」全国稼動開始のお知らせ" (Press release). Sega Corporation. December 16, 2008. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「VF5R VERSION B」全国稼動開始！" (Press release). Sega Corporation. May 21, 2009. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「Virtua Fighter5 Final Showdown」全国稼動開始！" (Press release). Sega Corporation. July 29, 2010. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "「Virtua Fighter5 Final Showdown VERSION A」全国稼動開始！" (Press release). Sega Corporation. April 21, 2011. Retrieved January 26, 2017.
- "Sega unveils ship date for Virtua Fighter 5" (Press release). Sega Corporation. December 18, 2006. Retrieved October 24, 2012.
- Gantayat, Anoop (2005-11-26). "Hands On: Virtua Fighter 5 - IGN". Uk.ign.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Sega Lindbergh Yellow Hardware (Sega)". System 16. 2015-02-12. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Sega Lindbergh Yellow Hardware (Sega)". System 16. 2015-02-12. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080118075437/http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/AM2_Virtua_Fighter_5_PS3_Could_Be_Updated_For_Online_12050_5874_0.htm. Archived from the original on January 18, 2008. Retrieved January 16, 2008. Missing or empty
- "Virtua Fighter 5 gets a mega patch". Xboxic. 2008-01-16. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Told You So:Virtua Fighter 5 for Xbox 360" (Press release). Kikizo. December 21, 2006. Retrieved 2007-01-16.
- Pigna, Kris (2008-01-16). "VF5 360 Patched, Your FAQs Answered: News from". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "360 Virtua Fighter 5 has online play!". Xbox360fanboy.com. 2007-07-06. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "AC VF5R ? (JEAN) vs ? (WO) (2008.04.18)". YouTube. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Press Releases - Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Enters the Ring on June 5". Gamasutra. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown Surpasses Japanese Sales Goal in One Week". Shoryuken. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- Mielke, James (2007-10-30). "Virtua Fighter 5 Review for 360 from". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080118053517/http://www.gamer.tm/review.php?id=1636. Archived from the original on January 18, 2008. Retrieved January 5, 2008. Missing or empty
- Goldstein, Hilary (2007-10-30). "Virtua Fighter 5 Review - IGN". Xbox360.ign.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- Swann, Graham (2007-10-26). "Virtua Fighter 5 •". Eurogamer.net. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- Roberts, David (2014-09-11). "Official Xbox Magazine | GamesRadar". Oxm.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "EGM Scorecard: Crackdown, VF5, and More: News from". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Welcome gamebrink.com - BlueHost.com". Gamebrink.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- [dead link]
- Dunham, Jeremy (2007-02-20). "Virtua Fighter 5 Review - IGN". Ps3.ign.com. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- Gerstmann, Jeff (2013-10-10). "Virtua Fighter 5 Online Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- Edge Staff (2009-03-09). "The 100 Best Games To Play Today". Edge Online. Retrieved 2014-01-21.
- Robinson, Martin, Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown Review, Eurogamer, Wednesday, 13 June 2012.
- Edge Staff (2012-06-14). "Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown review". Edge Online. Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- Mott, Tony (2013). 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die. New York, New York: Universe Publishing. p. 701. ISBN 978-0-7893-2090-2.