Virtual University of Pakistan
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Leaders in Education Technology|
|Chancellor||President of Pakistan|
|Rector||Dr. Naveed A Malik|
|Location||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Campus||Main Campus: M.A. Jinnah Campus, Defence Road, Off Raiwind Road, Lahore, Pakistan.|
Virtual University of Pakistan (Urdu: ورچوئل یونیورسٹی), is a public university located in urban area of Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan. Virtual University is Pakistan’s first University based completely on modern Information and Communication Technologies, was established by the Government as a public sector, not-for-profit institution with a clear mission: to provide extremely affordable world class education to aspiring students all over the country.
Established in 2002 by the Government of Pakistan to promote distance education in modern Information and Communication technologies as its primary objectives, the university is noted for its online lectures and broadcasting rigorous programs regardless of their students' physical locations. The university offers undergraduate and post-graduate courses in business administration, economics, computer science, and information technology. Due to its heavy reliance on serving lectures through the internet, Pakistani students residing overseas in several other countries of the region are also enrolled in the University's programs.
- 1 Recognition
- 2 Bachelor's programs
- 3 MS programs
- 4 Master's degree programs
- 5 PhD programs
- 6 Campuses
- 7 Distant teaching
- 8 Milestones and achievements
- 9 References
- 10 External links
Virtual University holds a federal charter from the Government of Pakistan and gets a federal recognition from the Higher Education Commission, Pakistan.
A four-year full-time study program spread over eight semesters. Each semester has at least 18 weeks duration for teaching and examinations. All programs listed below are Bachelor of Science except for the Bachelor of Education in Elementary.
Computer Science, Information Technology and Software Engineering
- Computer Science
- Information technology
- Software engineering
- Business Administration
- Public Administration
- Business and Information Technology (BBIT)
- Business course
Arts & Commerce
- Mass Communication
- B.Ed (Hons) Elementary[expand acronym]
- Accounting and Finance
- Commerce for B.Com degree holders[clarification needed]
- Banking and Finance
MSCS (2 year/4 semester, 30 credit hours) study program for candidates having 16 years of education.
MSBA/MBA(Equivalent to MS) (2 year/4 semester) study program for candidate having 16 years of education.
Masters Programs For VU graduates
- MCS Master of Computer Science for VU graduates
- MIT Master of Information Technology for VU graduates
- MBA Master of Business Administration for VU graduates
Master's degree programs
Students who have completed their bachelor's degree (with at least 45% marks) from a recognized university or institution can apply for admission to:
Msc Applied Psychology
Eligibility : 45% marks in bachelor's degree & psychology subject must be pass as an elective subject.
Computer Science and Information Technology
- Master of Science in Bioinformatics (MSBI)
- Master of Computer Science (MCS)computer sciences
- Master of Information Technology (MIT)
- Master of Commerce(M.Com)
- Master of Business Studies (MBS - Leading to MBA/MSBA)
- Master of Public Administration (MPA)
- Master of Business Economics (MB.Econ)
- Master of Accounting
- Master of Finance
- Master of Accounting & Finance
- Master of Banking & Finance
(These programs comprise seventy-two credit hours each, spread over 2 years / four semesters).
Students completing their 16-year education in computer science, information technology & Management Sciences field are given admission to advanced level degree program. According to HEC criteria, these advance level degrees are equivalent to an MS/MPhil program offered by any other university in the country.
Students who have completed 18-year education i.e., MS/M.Phil in Computer Science/Information Technology/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent with minimum CGPA 3.0 (out of 4.0 in the Semester System) or 1st Division (in the Annual System) and Each candidate is required to pass the VU Entry Test with minimum 70% marks along with interview and presentation.
- PhD (Computer Science)
- PhD in Biotechnology
Virtual University was founded in 2002 since which it has expanded operations to reach more than one hundred cities throughout the country with more than two hundred associated institutions providing infrastructure support to students. In addition, Pakistani students residing in several other countries in the region are also enrolled in the University's programs.
Virtual University has two types of campuses, its own, and those that are run by other organizations with modern computer lab and Internet access facilities.
VU is one of two Pakistani universities which provide distance learning. The first one is Allama Iqbal Open University, and second is Virtual University. The students can get lectures without going to the campuses of VU. VU lectures can be seen on VU's cable channels (VTV1, VTV2, VTV3 & VTV4) on Tune and YouTube.
Milestones and achievements
- VU feasibility study final feasibility . December 8, 2001
- President of Pakistan inaugurated the Virtual University of Pakistan. March 23, 2002
- First batch of 500 students starts classes. March 26, 2002
- Federal Charter granted by Government of Pakistan. September 1, 2002
- VU start broadcasts over its own TV channels VTV1 and VTV2. June 15, 2004
- VU selected as coordinating institute of multi-country IDRC funded project. March 1, 2005
- VU puts is lectures on YouTube November, 2005
- Launch of MCS, MIT and MBA programs. March 6, 2006
- Launch of two new TV channels VTV3, & VTV4. September 26, 2006
- VU becomes an Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union (ABU) member. November 7, 2006
- VU agreement with Ujala TV Dubai to telecast VU programs. November 30, 2006.
- VU agreement with University of Veterinary and Animal Sciences to offer joint BS Bio-informatics program. May 25, 2007
- Launch of MS program in Computer Science. Fall 2007
- Launch of B.A., B.Com., B.Sc. (2-year programs). Fall 2009"
- VU launch its in-house developed LMS (Learning Management System)and other MIS(s) by IT Department. Spring 2009
- Virtual University of Pakistan held its first Convocation on Tuesday 18 May 2010 simultaneously at Peshawar, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Jamshoro, Karachi and Quetta.
- Virtual University of Pakistan holds Highest Category 'W' By HEC.
- HEC on May 28, 2013 has clarified the ambiguity created by some newspapers amongst VU students and general public. HEC has, therefore, reconfirmed the status of the University as on-line & distance education institution of the country.
- VU. "Address and map location of Virtual University.". Google Inc. Google Inc. Lahore. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- VU. "About VU". VU Press release. Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- "Distant Learning". Virtual University. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- UNESCAP. (2007, December). ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL COMMISSION FOR ASIA AND THE PACIFIC. United Nations Development Account Project on Knowledge Networks through ICT Access Points for Disadvantage Communities. Report of Consultative Meeting for the Establishment of Regional Knowledge Network of Telecentres in Asia-Pacific 27–28 September 2007.
- UN. (2000, November). Report on the United Nations / Malaysia Workshop on Bridging the Digital Divide: Space Technology Solutions.” Conference 20–24 November 2000. PLANWEL citation retrieved 2000. Page 09 item 41