|Gilles Langourieux, CEO
Pan Feng, Managing Director
Andrey Supryaga, Managing Director
Christophe Gandon, GM Europe
Number of employees
Virtuos Ltd. is a video game developer and a provider of digital entertainment production services for the game and movie industries. The company was founded in 2004. Virtuos has development centers in Shanghai, Chengdu, and Xi'an, China, and in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, and offices in Paris, Vancouver and Tokyo.
Its services include 3D art, concept art and animation, full game co-development and adaptations, software engineering, sound design and QA testing. As a video game developer, Virtuos creates both parts of games as well as full game “co-development,” which includes porting and adaptations. Virtuos is a licensed developer on PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, NDS and PSP. Virtuos' clients include 15 of the top 20 digital entertainment publishers. Its clients include Activision, Electronic Arts, LucasArts, Microsoft, Sony, Square Enix, Ubisoft and Zynga. To date, Virtuos has co-developed two games noted more than 85 on Metacritic: Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster scored 85 on PS3 and PS Vita, and XCOM: Enemy Unknown scored 95 on iOS.
Games co-developed by Virtuos
|Game Title||Platform/Operating system||Publisher|
|Assassin's Creed : The Ezio Collection||PS4, Xbox One||Ubisoft|
|Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age||PS4||Square Enix|
|Batman: Return to Arkham||PS4, Xbox One||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|Heavy Rain||PS4||Sony Computer Entertainment|
|Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster||PS3, PS Vita, PS4, PC||Square Enix|
|Fable Anniversary||Xbox 360||Microsoft Game studio|
|Injustice: Gods Among Us||Android||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown||iOS||2K Games|
|NBA 2K14||iOS/Android/FireOs||2K Sports|
|Bubble Safari||iOS, Android||Zynga|
|NBA 2K13||Android, Wii, PSP, PS2||2K Sports|
|Might & Magic Heroes VI (Shades of Darkness expansion)||PC||Ubisoft|
|The Enchanted Library||GSN|
|The Game of Life||PC, Mac||EA Popcap|
|Civilization Revolution||WP7||2K Games|
|The Price is Right Decades||Xbox 360||Ubisoft|
|Who Wants to be a Millionaire||Xbox 360||Ubisoft|
|Family Feud Decades||PSN||Ubisoft|
|DreamWorks Super Star Kartz||Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Hasbro Family Game Night Value Pack||Nintendo Wii||Electronic Arts|
|Monopoly Collection||Wii||Electronic Arts|
|Generator Rex: Agent of Providence||PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS, NDS||Activision|
|Hole in the Wall||Xbox 360 Kinect||Microsoft|
|MLB 2K12||PSP, PS2, NDS, Wii||2K Sports|
|NBA 2K12||PS2||2K Sports|
|MLB 2K11||PSP, PS2, NDS||2K Sports|
|Monster Jam: Path of Destruction||PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP||Activision|
|Sid Meier's Pirates!||Wii||2K Games|
|Ghost Recon Predator||PSP||Ubisoft|
|Dora the Explorer||Explorer||Leapfrog|
|Ben 10 Ultimate Alien||Explorer||Leapfrog|
|Press Your Luck||PS3, iPad||Ubisoft|
|Family Feud||PS3, iPad||Ubisoft|
|The Price is Right||PS3, iPad||Ubisoft|
|MotorStorm: Arctic Edge||PS2||Sony Computer Entertainment Europe|
|Pimp My Ride Street Racing||PS2, Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Madagascar Kartz||Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Hot Wheels Battle Force 5||Nintendo DS||Activision|
|Crash: Mind over Mutant||PSP||Activision|
|Speed Racer||Nintendo DS||Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment|
|Asphalt: Urban GT 2||PSP, Nintendo DS||Gameloft|
History of Virtuos
||This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (October 2013)|
- December 2004: Virtuos is established
- July 2005: Virtuos opens its European office in Paris: Gamesource
- June 2006: Virtuos receives investment from Legend Capital
- November 2006: Virtuos opens its North-American office in Los Angeles
- January 2008: Virtuos opens in Chengdu
- March 2009: Virtuos acquires BSP Audio Production Studios
- May 2009: Terminator Salvation is released in theaters, featuring 3D art made by Virtuos
- December 2009: Virtuos enters Japan, signing partnership with Kyos
- March 2010: Virtuos reaches 500 employees
- March 2010: Virtuos announces new-gen work-for-hire game development
- May 2010: Virtuos releases The Price is Right on PSN
- November 2010: Virtuos ships Monster Jam: Path of Destruction for PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, NDS and PSP
- January 2011: Virtuos receives China SME Entrepreneur Award 2010
- March 2011: Rango reaches the top box office spot, including 3D models from Virtuos
- August 2011: Virtuos reaches 800 Staff, and signs work-for-hire online game development agreement with Tencent
- September 2011: Virtuos acquires Sparx* 3D animation studio
- March 2012: Virtuos 900th employee is hired in Saigon for Sparx subsidiary.
- July 2012: Virtuos releases first fully developed Facebook game The Enchanted Library for GSN
- October 2012: Virtuos 1000th employee is hired.
- November 2012: Virtuos first Android game NBA 2013 released for client 2K Sports on Wii, NDS and PSP
- June 2013: Virtuos opens office in San Francisco
- October 2013: XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Virtuos developed the port from X360 to iOs of Enemy Unknown and it wins the 2013 Golden Joystick Award for best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year
- December 2013: Virtuos developed Fangs Dash releases for China Mobile Game Entertainment on Chinese appstores
- April 2014: Virtuos developed the adaptation of FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD for PS3 and PS Vita with 85% Metacritic score
As a prominent game outsourcing company, Virtuos has occasionally found itself at the center of the debate about outsourcing’s impact on game-industry jobs in the west. When asked about the issue by gaming industry website Gamasutra in 2006, Gilles Langourieux, the CEO of Virtuos pointed to the extra number of man-months required to produce titles on new-gen platforms and the larger number of platforms to cover as the main reasons for the rise of outsourced production, stating that he "doesn't think it's a disservice to the industry in the West."
- "Virtuos Reaches 1,000 Virtuosi Worldwide". PR Newswire.
- "Virtuos: Game Developers Increasingly Open To Code Outsourcing". Gamasutra.
- "Virtuos: Clients Testimonials". Virtuos.
- "Virtuos Acquires Sparx* 3D Animation Studio". Gamasutra.
- "Legend Capital invests in leading video games outsourcing provider Virtuos". Legend Capital.
- "Virtuos Opens New China Studio". GamesIndustry.biz.
- "Outsourcing firm Virtuos acquires BSP audio studio". Develop-Online.
- "Virtuos workforce hits new milestone". Develop-Online.
- "China's Virtuos Gets Into Full-Scale Retail Game Development With 'Major Publisher'". Gamasutra.
- "Virtuos Kickstarts Full Cross-Platform Development Project". GamesIndustry.biz.
- "Fang Dash".
- "Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster". Metacritic.
- "Special: Inside China's Game Outsourcing Biz". Gamasutra.