|Founded||December 2004 in Shanghai, China|
Number of locations
|22 offices (2023)|
Number of employees
Virtuos is a global video game development company headquartered in Singapore with studios across Asia, Europe, and North America. Virtuos specializes in game development and art production for AAA consoles, PC, and mobile titles – working as an external developer for other companies.
Virtuos was established in Shanghai in December 2004 and opened its European office in Paris in July 2005. In June 2006, it received investment from Legend Capital. Virtuos opened its Chengdu office in January 2008 and Vancouver offices in January and November 2008, respectively. In March 2009, the company acquired BSP Audio Production Studios. In May 2009 Terminator Salvation was released in theaters. featuring 3D art made by Virtuos.
Virtuos entered Japan after signing a partnership with Kyos in December 2009. In March 2010, it reached 500 employees, and announced new-gen work-for-hire game development. In May 2010, the company ported The Price is Right to the PlayStation Network.
Virtuos produced Monster Jam: Path of Destruction for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii, Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable. Subsequently, it reached 800 employees and signed a work-for-hire online game development agreement with Tencent in August 2011. Virtuos acquired Sparx* Animation Studios in September 2011, increasing its employee count to over 900.
In 2012, Virtuos opened its Xi’an office in May and reached the 1,000 employees mark in October. Within the same year, Virtuos also released its first fully developed Facebook game - The Enchanted Library for GSN, as well as its first Android game, NBA 2013, for client 2K sports on the Wii, Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable.
In July 2013, Virtuos opened an office in San Francisco. Virtuos ported XCOM: Enemy Unknown to IOS in October 2013, and won the Golden Joystick Award for "Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year". The company also developed Fangs Dash for China Mobile Game Entertainment in December 2013.
Virtuos also developed adaptations of Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2 for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita in April 2014. These received an 85% Metacritic score. In December 2014, Virtuos started its operations in Korea.
In July 2016, Virtuos ported Batman: Return To Arkham to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. In February 2017, the company acquired Black Shamrock. In March 2018, it raised $15M and set up a new headquarters and R&D center in Singapore.
Virtuos Montreal was launched in September 2019. In October 2020, the company acquired CounterPunch Studios.
Virtuos secured $150M investment from Baring Private Equity Asia in September 2021. It subsequently opened a new studio in Lyon, France in December 2021. In January 2022, Virtuos acquired Volmi Games in Kyiv, Ukraine.
In May 2022, it was announced that Virtuos had acquired the Ho Chi Minh City-based 2D and 3D art production company, Glass Egg Digital Media. That was followed by the official launch of Virtuos Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia in August 2021, and co-development studio Calypte — a Virtuos Studio in the San Francisco Bay Area in September 2022.
In October 2022, Virtuos developed NieR:Automata The End of YoRHa Edition for the Nintendo Switch  which has been hailed as a “miracle port”. Virtuos also unveiled a new studio, Virtuos Labs - Montpellier, which will provide various support to partners such as creating new tools for proprietary engines and shifting to new engines.
In March 2023, Virtuos developed a remaster for The Outer Worlds, subtitled Spacer's Choice Edition. The remaster's initial reviews were largely focused on performance issues such as stuttering, which were partly addressed in a v1.1 patch - the first of a series of updates to fix known issues and optimise performance across all platforms.
On 17 March 2023, Glass Egg, one of Virtuos’ subsidiaries, announced the launch of its new 2D and 3D art production studio located in Dalat, Vietnam.
In May 2023, Konami confirmed Virtuos was assisting in the development of Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater, a remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for PlayStation 5, Microsoft Windows, and Xbox Series X/S.
Games co-developed by Virtuos
|Game Title||Platform/Operating system|
|Kerbal Space Program 2||PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Series X/S|
|Monster Jam Steel Titans||Stadia|
|Monster Jam Steel Titans 2||Nintendo Switch|
|Dying Light: Platinum Edition||Nintendo Switch|
|The Callisto Protocol||PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PC|
|NieR Automata: End of Yorha Edition||Nintendo Switch|
|The Settlers Online||PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
|Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond||Oculus Rift|
|The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game|
|L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files||PC, PS4|
|The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition||PS5, Xbox Series X/S|
|Gundam Evolution||PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S|
|Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series||PlayStation VR|
|Marvel's Midnight Suns||PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S|
|Destroy All Humans!||Nintendo Switch|
|XCOM 2 Collection||Nintendo Switch|
|Bioshock: The Collection||Nintendo Switch|
|The Outer Worlds||Nintendo Switch|
|Assassin's Creed Liberation Remastered||PS4, PC, Xbox One|
|Starlink: Battle for Atlas||Nintendo Switch|
|Dark Souls Remastered||Nintendo Switch|
|Horizon Zero Dawn||PS4, PC|
|L.A. Noire||PS4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
|Assassin's Creed : The Ezio Collection||PS4, Xbox One|
|Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age||PS4, PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
|Batman: Return to Arkham||PS4, Xbox One|
|Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster||PS3, PS Vita, PS4, PC, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch|
|Fable Anniversary||Xbox 360|
|Injustice: Gods Among Us||Android|
|XCOM: Enemy Unknown||iOS|
|Bubble Safari||iOS, Android|
|NBA 2K13||Android, Wii, PSP, PS2|
|Might & Magic Heroes VI (Shades of Darkness expansion)||PC|
|The Enchanted Library|
|The Game of Life||PC, MacOS|
|The Price is Right: Decades||Xbox 360|
|Who Wants to be a Millionaire 2012 Edition||Xbox 360|
|Family Feud Decades||PSN|
|DreamWorks Super Star Kartz||Nintendo DS|
|Hasbro Family Game Night Value Pack||Nintendo Wii|
|Monopoly Collection||Nintendo Wii|
|Generator Rex: Agent of Providence||PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, 3DS, Nintendo DS|
|Hole in the Wall||Xbox 360 Kinect|
|MLB 2K12||PSP, PS2, Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii|
|MLB 2K11||PSP, PS2, Nintendo DS|
|Monster Jam: Path of Destruction||PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, PSP|
|Sid Meier's Pirates!||Nintendo Wii|
|Ghost Recon Predator||PSP|
|Press Your Luck||PS3, iPad|
|Family Feud||PS3, iPad|
|The Price is Right||PS3, iPad|
|MotorStorm: Arctic Edge||PS2|
|Pimp My Ride Street Racing||PS2, Nintendo DS|
|Madagascar Kartz||Nintendo DS|
|Hot Wheels Battle Force 5||Nintendo DS|
|Speed Racer||Nintendo DS|
|Asphalt: Urban GT 2||PSP, Nintendo DS|
|Dora the Explorer||Leapster Explorer|
|Indiana Jones||Leapfrog Didj|
|Hannah Montana||Leapfrog Didj|
|Crash: Mind over Mutant||PSP|
- "ハイパーリアリズム、ゲーム移植、メタバース…日本のパブリッシャーが世界中のゲーマーを魅了し続けるには？". www.gamebusiness.jp. 13 October 2022. Retrieved 13 October 2022.
- "What's going on with Metal Gear Solid remasters, exactly?".
- Rees, Lewis. "Virtuos opens new studio in the San Francisco Bay area". pocketgamer.biz. Retrieved 2022-09-09.
- "Legend Capital invests in leading video games outsourcing provider Virtuos". Legend Capital.
- "Virtuos Opens New China Studio". GamesIndustry.biz.
- "Outsourcing firm Virtuos acquires BSP audio studio". Develop-Online.
- "Virtuos workforce hits new milestone". Develop-Online.
- "Virtuos Kickstarts Full Cross-Platform Development Project". GamesIndustry.biz.
- "China's Virtuos Gets Into Full-Scale Retail Game Development With 'Major Publisher'". Gamasutra.
- "Fang Dash".
- "Final Fantasy X / X-2 HD Remaster". Metacritic.
- Clark, Justin (28 October 2016). "Review: Batman: Return to Arkham". Slant Magazine. Retrieved 8 March 2023.
- "Horizon Zero Dawn, Our 1000th Project, Released With 3D Art From Virtuos!". Virtuos. 1 April 2017. Retrieved 16 January 2023.
- "Virtuos Heralds The Return of Aloy, Providing Character and Environment Art in Horizon Forbidden West". Virtuos. 11 April 2022. Retrieved 16 January 2023.
- Santa Maria, Alex (9 August 2020). "Horizon Zero Dawn's Poor PC Performance Is Developer's Top Priority". Screen Rant. Valnet Inc. Retrieved 16 January 2023.
- "XCom 2 Collection: A Joint Development Effort With Virtuos". Virtuos. 17 April 2020. Retrieved 16 January 2023.
- Gach, Ethan (4 June 2020). "The Outer Worlds Looks Terrible On Switch". Kotaku. G/O Media. Retrieved 8 March 2023.
- "Virtuos renforce sa présence en Europe avec son nouveau studio à Lyon". Agence française pour le jeu vidéo.
- "Virtuos invests in Umanaïa Interactive". virtuosgame.com. Retrieved 2022-05-31.
- "Virtuos acquires art production studio Glass Egg". GamesIndustry.biz. Retrieved 2022-05-25.
- "Virtuos KL studio to support regional growth in video games development". The Edge Markets. 2022-08-12. Retrieved 2022-09-09.
- "Virtuos opens co-development studio in the Bay Area". GamesIndustry.biz. 2022-09-05. Retrieved 2022-09-09.
- "Sharper than on PS4, 'Nier: Automata' on Switch remains virtuosic". 2022-10-05. Retrieved 2022-10-05.
- "Nier Automata's Switch port might actually be the best place to play the 2017 game". www.gamesradar.com. 2022-10-06. Retrieved 2022-10-06./
- "Virtuos open Virtuos Labs – Montpellier". www.gamesradar.com. 2022-10-26. Retrieved 2022-10-26./
- Nightingale, Ed (9 March 2023). "The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition criticised by players for poor performance". Eurogamer. Gamer Network. Retrieved 9 March 2023.
- Wolens, Joshua (8 March 2023). "The Outer Worlds' new version is getting slammed on Steam—'Spacer's Choice Edition: now with 200% more performance issues!'". PC Gamer. Future plc. Retrieved 8 March 2023.
- Archer, James (9 March 2023). "Something is terribly wrong with The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition's PC performance". Rock Paper Shotgun. Gamer Network. Retrieved 9 March 2023.
- Archer, James (22 March 2023). "The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition update tunes up PC performance". Rock Paper Shotgun. Gamer Network. Retrieved 22 March 2023.
- Division, Private (22 March 2023). "The Spacer's Choice Edition v1.1 patch is available now for Xbox Series X|S and Microsoft Store players!". Twitter. Private Division. Retrieved 22 March 2023.
- "Glass Egg - a Virtuos Studio announces expansion into Dalat, Vietnam". yahoo.com. 2023-03-17. Retrieved 2023-03-17./
- Croft, Liam (2023-05-25). "Virtuos Assisting Konami on Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake Development". Push Square. Retrieved 2023-05-25.