|Privately held company|
|Genre||Virtualization and Hosting Automation|
|Headquarters||Renton, Washington, USA|
|Serguei Beloussov, Chairman
Birger Steen, CEO
|Products||Parallels Desktop for Mac
Parallels Desktop for Mac Business Edition
Parallels Mac Management for SCCM
Parallels 2X Remote Application Server
Parallels 2X Mobile Device Management
Odin Business Automation Standard
Odin Service Automation
|Revenue||US$ 100 million (2008) |
Number of employees
|1000+ (as of Feb. 2015) |
Parallels, Inc. is a privately held virtualization technology company with offices in 15 countries, including the USA, Germany, UK, France, Japan, China, Russia, Australia and Ukraine. Parallels headquarters is in Renton, Washington. The company has more than 1000 employees as of 2015.
In March 2015, Parallels moved to two separate brands: its service provider team became Odin, while its cross-platform solutions team continues to use the name Parallels.
Parallels, Inc. was an SWsoft company until January 2008; each company operated as a separate entity and maintained its own distinct branding. In December 2007, Parallels parent company SWsoft announced its plans to change its name to Parallels and ship both companies' products under the Parallels name. The merger was formalized in January 2008. Parallels has development centers in Moscow and Novosibirsk.
- 2004 – SWsoft acquires Parallels, Inc.
- 2005 – Parallels, Inc. officially launches
- 2006 - Parallels announces itself as an official company
- April 6 – Parallels launches its first beta build of Parallels Desktop for Mac
- June 15 – Parallels officially launches Parallels Desktop for Mac
- July 18 – Parallels Desktop for Mac debuts in retail stores
- September - Parallels moves its corporate headquarters from Herndon, Virginia to Renton, Washington
- January - SWsoft merges into Parallels to become one company under the Parallels branding.
- January 11 - Parallels acquires ModernGigabyte, LLC.
- June 17 - Parallels officially launches the first version of Parallels Server for Mac
- September 1 - Parallels releases Parallels Desktop 4 for Windows and Linux
- November 11 - Parallels releases Parallels Desktop 4.0 for Mac
- May 11 - Parallels releases Parallels Server for Mac 4.0 Mac mini Edition
- May 18 - Parallels releases Parallels Transporter
- August 9 - Parallels releases Parallels Workstation 6 Extreme
- September 1 - Parallels releases Parallels Desktop 7 for Mac
- September 1 - Parallels releases Parallels Mobile for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch
- November 8 - Parallels releases Parallels Workstation 6
- January 31 - Parallels launches Parallels Management—Mac for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (1.0)
- August 27 - Parallels announces Parallels Access app for iPad
- August 27 - Parallels releases Parallels Management—Mac for Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2.0
- August 29 - Parallels announces upgrade availability for Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac.
- September 5 - Parallels announces full version availability for Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac.
- August 20 - Parallels announces full version availability for Parallels Desktop 10 for Mac.
Parallels uses Intel Core's virtualization technology to allow the virtual machine direct access to the host computer's processor. Much of Parallels' software is based on a lightweight hypervisor architecture, which provides the guest operating system direct access to the computer's hardware. Each Parallels virtual machine functions like a real computer with its own processor, RAM, floppy, CD drives, harddrive and tools.
Parallels is best known for its Intel-based Mac product Parallels Desktop for Mac. First released June 25, 2006, Parallels Desktop for Mac is a hardware emulation virtualization software that uses a lightweight hypervisor to enable users to run Windows, Linux and other operating systems simultaneously with Mac OS X on their Intel based Macs.
First released December 8, 2005, Parallels Workstation enables users to create multiple, independent virtual machines on one PC. Workstation consists of a virtual machine suite for Intel x86-compatible computers (running Microsoft Windows or Linux), which allows the simultaneous creation and execution of multiple x86 virtual machines. Workstation supports hardware x86 virtualization technologies such as Intel VT-x.
On August 27, 2013, Parallels released Parallels Access, an app for iPad that allows remote connectivity to Mac and Windows computers (and applications) with native gestures, even for apps not optimized for iPad.
First released June 17, 2008, Parallels Server for Mac is a hypervisor-based server virtualization software that enables IT managers to run multiple Windows, Linux and Mac OS X Server operating systems on a single Mac Xserve. As of its release, it is currently the only server virtualization solution for the Mac OS X server platform and that allows users to virtualize Mac OS X Leopard Server. Parallels Server for Mac was discontinued in August 2012.
Odin Virtuozzo is an operating system-level virtualization product designed for large-scale homogeneous server environments and data centers. Virtuozzo is compatible with x86, x86-64 and IA-64 platforms. Virtuozzo was first released under Parallels' former parent company SWsoft. The Linux version was released in 2001 while the Windows version was released in 2005.
Odin provides the software that powers the cloud ecosystem, from small and local hosters to some of the world’s largest telecommunication companies. By partnering with Odin, service providers gain access to industry expertise, a catalog of the most in-demand cloud applications, and the most comprehensive selection of software including web server management, server virtualization, provisioning, and billing automation.
Plesk allows a server administrator to set up new websites, e-mail accounts, and DNS entries through a web-based interface. Plesk for Linux/UNIX supports multiple POSIX platforms, including Red Hat Linux/Fedora, SUSE, Debian/Ubuntu and FreeBSD. Plesk for Windows supports Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008 operating systems. Odin Service Automation System allows businesses to increase productivity and revenue by automating billing and provisioning of their services.
Odin Service Automation is an enterprise solution/platform for Hosting Providers which automates provisioning of new hosting subscriptions to the hardware. Supports provisioning of Apache and IIS hosted websites, VPS hosting, Qmail, Open-Xchange and MS Exchange for mail hosting, as well as supports Sharepoint, Dynamics CRM, email filtering and Global Relay email archiving & compliance. Hosting Vendor adds new hardware nodes into POA infrastructure and basing on configuration templates sets up provisioning of Customer's Subscriptions to the new hardware.
Odin Business Automation - Enterprise is an enterprise billing platform usually used along with POA to manage and automate billing for services provisioned through POA. Allows to configure the Store, Service Plans with prices, discounts, promotions. Supports registration of domains by means of number of special plugins. Might be used as billing engine for any other platform via API integration.
- Comparison of platform virtualization software for a list of related virtualization software products
- Operating system-level virtualization
- Virtual appliance
- Virtual machine
- x86 virtualization
- Virtual disk image
- Worldwide Operations HQ at http://www.parallels.com/en/contact
- Parallels CEO Sees IPO in a Few Years, Not an Acquisition
- About Parallels
- InfoWorld Virtualization Report | David Marshall | InfoWorld | Parallels Announces Virtuozzo Containers 4.0 | January 29, 2008 08:03 PM | By David Marshall
- SWsoft to abandon itself and become Parallels | The Register
- SWsoft Parallels does Virtuozzo Containers 4.0 thing | The Register
- (Russian) One of the founders and vice-president of Parallels Stanislav Protasov: "For a programme development company, not using an ability to work on world market is a crime for its future" // Continent Siberia Business Newspaper, February 2012
- Brian Madden (2015-02-26). brianmadden.com http://www.brianmadden.com/blogs/brianmadden/archive/2015/02/26/parallels-buys-2x-software.aspx?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+brianmadden%2Frss+%28BrianMadden.com+-+Desktop+Virtualization%2C+Consumerization+of+IT%2C+and+Enterprise+Mobility+Management%29&utm_content=Google+International. Retrieved 2015-02-26. Missing or empty
- Parallels acknowledges SWsoft ownership
- SWsoft: :
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Parallels Technology Network announced
- Web Host Industry News | Parallels Acquires ModernGigabyte
- Parallels.com | Parallels Acquires ModernGigabyte
- Virtualization Report | David Marshall | InfoWorld | Parallels announces the first Mac server virtualization platform | June 18, 2008 08:14 AM | David Marshall
- "Desktop 4 for Windows and Linux Leverages Industry-Leading Mac Technology to Enable Widespread Adoption of PC Virtualization". Parallels. 2009-09-01. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Desktop 4.0 for Mac Offers Premium Windows-on-Mac Experience". Parallels. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Desktop 5 for Mac Offers Fastest Performance on Snow Leopard and for Windows 7 Available". Parallels. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Desktop 6 for Mac Delivers Unprecedented New and Enhanced Features for Best Windows on Mac Experience Yet". Parallels. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Server for Mac 4.0 Mac mini Edition Launch Lets Businesses Run Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux Environments Side-by-Side on an Apple Mac mini". Parallels. 2011-05-11. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Transporter Launches on the Mac App Store, Makes the Move from a PC to a Mac Easy". Parallels. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Workstation 6 Extreme makes the consolidated professional graphics workstation a reality through unmatched performance of direct assignment technology". Parallels. 2011-08-09. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Desktop 7 for Mac Makes Windows Programs Roar with Mac OS X Lion Features; New Parallels Mobile App Delivers OS X and Windows Control Plus Flash Videos with Sound". Parallels. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "New Parallels Mobile App for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch Delivers Anytime Anywhere Control of Mac OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, Chrome, Fedora, Applications and Files on Your Mac". Parallels. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- "Workstation 6 Gives Web Designers and IT Professionals Seamless Capabilities for Running Multiple Operating Systems – Including Windows 8 – on a Single PC". Parallels. 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2012-07-31.
- Parallels demos Mac server virtualization