Visa policy of Ghana
|Africa portal Politics portal|
Visitors to Ghana must obtain a visa from one of the Ghanaian diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the countries or territories that are either visa exempt or whose citizens may obtain a visa on arrival.
Visa policy map
Citizens of the following 29 countries and territories are not required to obtain a visa for entry to Ghana for visits up to 90 days (unless otherwise stated):
|Date of visa changes|
According to the Ghana High Commission in the United Kingdom nationals of Malawi, Namibia and South Africa are also exempt.
Visa is also not required for holders of a Dual Nationality Card issued by Ghana. Pre-arranged visa may be picked up on arrival.
Holders of diplomatic, official, or service passports issued to nationals of Brazil, China, Cuba, Germany, Iran, Namibia, South Africa and holders of diplomatic passports issued to nationals of Turkey do not require a visa for Ghana.
Ghana signed a visa-waiver agreement for diplomatic, official and service passport holders with Equatorial Guinea on 24 August 2017, India on 13 June 2016, Saint Kitts and Nevis in November 2018, Venezuela on 9 July 2018, with Malta in March 2019 and with Angola in August 2019 and they are yet to be ratified.
Visa on arrival
From 1 July 2016 citizens of the African Union (except Morocco) member states that are not visa exempt can obtain a 30 days maximum visa for Ghana upon arrival for fee $150. The arrangement would be piloted at the Kotoka International Airport in Accra for three months, and thereafter extended to all other entry points of the country.
If special requirements are satisfied, the citizens of countries without diplomatic or consular mission of Ghana travelling on short notice may obtain a visa on arrival.
Visa is granted on arrival for holders of a copy of a pre-arranged approval from immigration.
Ghana plans to introduce e-Visas in 2019.
- "Country information (visa section)". Timatic. International Air Transport Association (IATA) through Gulf Air. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Welcome to Ghana Immigration Service". www.ghanaimmigration.org. 28 July 2020.
- "Ghana High Commission". www.ghanahighcommissionuk.com.
- "Ghana waives visa requirements for Rwandans". newtimes.co.rw. 24 November 2015.
- "Home | UNCTAD Investment Policy Hub". investmentpolicy.unctad.org. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- "Ghana signs visa waiver agreement with Equatorial Guinea - News Ghana". www.newsghana.com.gh.
- "Treaty Detail | Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India". www.mea.gov.in. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- "Twitter". mobile.twitter.com. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- "Ghana, Venezuela Sign Travel Visa Exemption Agreement - Starr Fm". 9 July 2018. Archived from the original on 9 July 2018. Retrieved 9 July 2018.
- "Ghana, Malta visa waiver for only diplomatic passports holders – Foreign Affairs Ministry". www.ghanaweb.com. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- "Ghana, Angola waive Entry Visa Requirements". www.ghanaweb.com. 9 August 2019. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- Ofori-Atta, Prince (15 July 2016). "Ghana scraps visas for African nationals - West Africa". www.theafricareport.com.
- Boadu, Kwame Asare. "Ghana begins issuance of visas to Africans on arrival to mark Republic Day". graphic.com.gh.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-08-07. Retrieved 2016-07-09.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Ghana starts visa-on-entry strategy for AU states - News Ghana". www.newsghana.com.gh.
- "Welcome to Ghana Immigration Service". www.ghanaimmigration.org. Archived from the original on 2019-11-18.
- "Bawumia e-Visa Coming". Modern Ghana. Retrieved Sep 22, 2019.
- Ghana travel guide from Wikivoyage