Visa policy of Iran
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
|Government of Islamic Republic of Iran|
Visitors to Iran must obtain a visa from one of the Iranian diplomatic missions unless they come from one of the visa exempt countries or countries eligible for a visa on arrival. All visitors must hold a passport valid for at least 6 months. Admission is refused to women not wearing Islamic head cover, scarf, long sleeves and stockings. Citizens of Israel are totally banned from entry to Iran.
Iranian authorities are exploring a potential visa waiver program under which visa limitations for 60 countries will be lifted as part of Iran's program to attract more tourists.
Dual citizens of both Iran and another country count as citizens of Iran when visiting, and must have an Iranian passport. This includes all whose mother and father and husband or children born abroad are Iranian.
Iran no longer affixes visas to passports nor stamps them on entry as a response to the US sanctions on persons who have visited Iran after 2011. In November 2018, the head of Iran’s Cultural Heritage, Handicrafts, and Tourism Organization (ICHTO), announced that the country will no longer stamp or put stickers to passports of foreign tourists in a bid to ease their concerns about travelling to other countries after leaving Iran.
Visa policy map
Citizens of the following 11 countries can visit Iran without a visa:
1 - if arriving by air directly from Damascus
|Date of visa changes|
Iran free trade zones
Kish and Qeshm Islands
All tourists, may stay on Kish Island or Qeshm Island for 14 days or less without obtaining any visa. Americans, Canadians and the British are only required to have a certified escort guide waiting for them upon their arrival. the guide has to have the hotel reservation letters of the passenger with him/her and let the immigration office of the airport know about the arrival of the American/Canadian/British passenger 48 hours before the arrival.
Diplomatic and service category passports
Holders of passports issued by the following countries are allowed to enter Iran without a visa.
D — diplomatic passports
O — official passports
S — service passports
Sp — special passports
Visa on arrival
- Bandar Abbas International Airport (Bandar Abbas)
- Isfahan International Airport (Isfahan)
- Kish International Airport (Kish Island)
- Mashhad International Airport (Mashad)
- Qeshm international Airport (Qeshm Island) 
- Shiraz International Airport (Shiraz)
- Tabriz International Airport (Tabriz)
- Imam Khomeini International Airport (Tehran)
- Mehrabad International Airport (Tehran) 
- Urmia Airport (Urmia) 
- Ahvaz International Airport (Ahvaz) 
- Kerman Airport (Kerman) 
- Larestan International Airport (Lar)
Note: to obtain a visa on arrival, passengers must already have made an application, at least 2 days prior to arrival, at the Iranian Ministry of Foreign Affair's E-Visa website and present the submission notification at the airport's visa desk on arrival.
Visa on arrival is not applicable to nationals of the following countries who must obtain a visa in advance:
1 - visa on arrival at Mashhad Airport or Arvand Free Zone by land free of charge.
Passport holders of these countries are required to apply for an Iranian visa at an Iranian embassy or consulate prior to their arrival in Iran.
- Shahid Rajaee Port
Marine travelers entering Iran via Shahid Rajaee Port in the southern Hormozgan Province can also receive a visa on arrival.
E-visas have been available since 22 November 2018.
UK, Canadian and US citizens are required to be escorted by a government approved guide at all times. Independent travel for these citizens has been banned due to the closure of Iranian foreign missions in these countries.
Nationalities refused admission
Admission and transit is refused for nationals of Israel.
Admission is refused to holders of passports or travel documents containing an Israeli visa or stamp or any data showing that visitor has been to Israel or indication of any connection with the state of Israel .
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Iran.|
- IR-IRAN Electronic Visa (Iran eVisa) Application System
- Iran's Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Visit Iran | Official Travel Guide of Iran
- "Passport Information - Warning". Timatic. IATA. Archived from the original on 15 February 2017. Retrieved 17 December 2013.
- "Travel in Iran". sitara.com. Archived from the original on 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2012-12-12.
- "Iran allows visa-free travel for citizens of 7 countries". Press TV. Retrieved 10 June 2016.
- "ویزای ایران | درخواست انواع ویزای ایران و تمدید و اخذ ویزای ایران برای اتباع خارجی". سایت ویزای ایران | اخذ ویزای ایران | گرفتن ویزای ایران | درخواست ویزای ایران | روادید ایران (in Persian). Retrieved 2018-08-26.
- Iran Relaxes Visa Process to Incentivize Foreign Tourists
- "Iran Waives Visa Stamping Rules to Boost Tourism". IFP News.
- "Country information (visa section)". Timatic. International Air Transport Association (IATA) through Olympic Air. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Iran extends visa-free regime to Azerbaijani citizens". trend.az. 2 November 2015.
- al-Shamahi, Abubakr. "Iran waives visa requirements for Egypt, Lebanon, Syria nationals".
- "THE DECISION OF THE ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF IRAN ON VISA EXEMPTION FOR THE NATIONALS OF THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA, HOLDERS OF ORDINARY PASSAPORTS". www.mfa.gov.rs.
- Iran ends visa-free travel for Serbians
- "مزایای ثبت شرکت در مناطق آزاد".
- "No Visa required for Iran free trade zones".
- "Iran Visa | Iran visa on arrival | visa at Embassy | Iran E-visa | apply for visa". TAP Persia. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "Citizens of 190 Countries to Get Visa on Arrival in Iran: Official - Tasnim News Agency". tasnimnews.com.
- "Iran to issue On Arrival visa at 10 airports". en.isna.ir. Retrieved 22 April 2017.
- "دفتر صدور الکترونیکی روادید درفرودگاه اهواز راه اندازی شد". roozame.com.
- "Iran issuing entry visas at Qeshm airport". persiadigest.com.
- "Iran issuing entry visas at Qeshm airport". persiadigest.com. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- "گشایش دفتر صدور روادید الکترونیکی در فرودگاه بین المللی ارومیه". kojaro.com. Retrieved 24 January 2017.
- "گشایش دفتر صدور روادید الکترونیکی در فرودگاه بین المللی ارومیه". kojaro.com.
- "دفتر صدور الکترونیکی روادید درفرودگاه اهواز راه اندازی شد". roozame.com. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "10 Iranian Airports Issue Visa on Arrival". financialtribune.com. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- "Iran extends visa on arrival to 3 months". tehrantimes.com. 13 July 2016.
- "Shahid Rajaee Port Visa on Arrival". financialtribune.com. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- http://www.iraniantours.com/us.htm ESCORTED TOURS THROUGH IRAN
- "Visa information on the site of IRI Embassy in Moscow". mfa.ir.