Visa policy of Mongolia
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Visitors must hold passports that are valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival.
Visitors from any country planning to stay in Mongolia for more than 30 days must register with the Mongolia Immigration Agency in Ulaanbaatar within the first seven days of arrival. Visitors who fail to register and who stay longer than 30 days, even for reasons beyond their control, will be stopped at departure, temporarily denied exit, and fined. Until 1997, individual tourists wishing to visit Mongolia needed a letter of invitation from either a Mongolian citizen or a foreign resident before being granted a visa. Since then the visa regime has been greatly liberalised with a resultant increase in tourism.
Mongolia previously had a temporary unilateral visa waiver for the citizens of 42 countries in place between June 2014 and December 2015.
Visa policy map
Mongolia grants visa-free access to citizens of 24 countries and territories.
1 — Provided holding official or private invitation.
|Date of visa changes|
- Non-ordinary passports
Visa exemption applies only to holders of diplomatic passports of Czech Republic, Estonia (biometric only), France, Italy, United Kingdom and holders of diplomatic or official/service passports of Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Chile, China, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Kuwait, Latvia, Malta, Mexico, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Peru, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, South Korea, Switzerland, Turkmenistan and Vietnam.
Nationals of China holding passports for public affairs do not require a visa for a maximum stay of 30 days.
The holders of United Nations Laissez-Passer (UNLP) and the officials of the UN Specialized Agencies travelling to Mongolia for the purposes of business and residency are exempt from visa requirements for 30 days.
Visa on arrival
Nationals of the following countries do not need a local sponsor or approval prior to arrival and can apply for a visa valid for 30 days independently at a border crossing:
Visa collection on arrival
Holders of a confirmation of a pre-arranged visa can obtain a single entry visa on arrival at Chinggis Khaan International Airport, provided their passport is valid for at least one year on arrival, arriving from a country without diplomatic representation of Mongolia and that sponsor in Mongolia submits request to the Mongolian Immigration Authority. The fee is 108,000 tögrög and 30 USD.
Most visitors arriving to Mongolia on short term basis for tourism were from the following countries of nationality:
|Source: Ulaanbaatar Tourism Department|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Mongolia.|
- "Country information (visa section)". Timatic. International Air Transport Association (IATA) through Olympic Air. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "404 - Page Not Found". travel.state.gov.
- Eagles, Paul F. J., Margaret E. Bowman Guidelines for tourism in parks and protected areas of East Asia p 23 2005, ISBN 978-2-8317-0579-8
- "レビトラの偽物の副作用で重篤な病気になる例も - レビトラの副作用は？精力剤を使う時の注意点". infomongolia.com. 27 March 2017.
- LIST OF VISA FREE COUNTRIES, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mongolia (June 2019)
- Under the Visa Agreement between USSR and Mongolia on 20 December 1979
- Under the Visa Agreement on 2 December 1994
- "News.MN - Мэдээллийн эх сурвалж". www.news.mn.
- Under the Visa Agreement on 14 September 2007
- Under the Visa Agreement on 4 September 2013
Previous visa-free agreement under different terms was applied under the Visa Agreement between USSR and Mongolia on 20 December 1979 Visa policy of Mongolia in 2013
- Reciprocal understanding, by exchange of notes, between the government of the Federative Republic of Brazil and the government of the Republic of Mongolia on waiver of short-duration visas, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Brazil. ‹See Tfd›(in Portuguese)
- Was applied from 24 April 1977 under the Visa Agreement between Mongolia and Czechoslovakia on 20 December 1976
- "509/1992 Zb. - o Dojednaní medzi vládou Českej a Slovens... - Nové ASPI - Wolters Kluwer SR, s.r.o." www.noveaspi.sk.
- Was applied under the Visa Agreement between USSR and Mongolia on 20 December 1979
- "List of Countries and Regions without Visa - THE EMBASSY OF MONGOLIA TO THE SWISS CONFEDERATION AND THE PERMANENT MISSION OF MONGOLIA TO UNITED NATIONS OFFICE AT GENEVA AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATIONS". embassyofmongolia.ch.
- According to the Government decision, passport holders might travel to Mongolia for tourist and/or business purposes without visa and stay up to 30 days, from 25 June 2014 to 31 December 2015.
- "Statistics of Tourists to Mongolia" (PDF). Нийслэлийн Аялал. Retrieved 2016-04-21.