Visa policy of Nepal
The visa policy of Nepal is relatively liberal, allowing citizens of almost all nations to obtain a tourist visa on arrival.
All tourists are allowed to stay in Nepal for a maximum of 150 days in one calendar year.
Visa policy map
Freedom of movement
Citizens of India do not need a visa to enter Nepal, and can reside permanently as Nepali citizens with no restrictions, because Article 7 the 1950 Indo-Nepal Treaty of Peace and Friendship allows free movement of people between the two nations on a reciprocal basis.
Indian citizens can use any acceptable documents mentioned below to enter Nepal:
- Indian Passport
- Indian driving license with photograph
- Identity card with photograph issued by a governmental body of India
- Ration card with photograph
- Voter ID card with photograph
- Registration certificate issued by the Indian embassy to the Indian citizen residing in Nepal
- Ad hoc/temporary identity card issued by the Indian embassy to the Indian citizen in the event of emergency
- Any document with photograph and setting out identity, issued by the sub-divisional magistrate or authority above.
Visa on arrival
With the exception of nationals of states mentioned below and holders of refugee travel documents, any foreign national can obtain a tourist visa on arrival. Multiple entry visas can be issued for a duration of stay of 15, 30 or 90 days. Holders of temporary passports are not eligible unless they hold a temporary passport issued by a European Union member state.
Visa required in advance
Citizens of the following states are required to apply for a visa prior to arrival in Nepal:
Visa fee waiver
- Foreigners can apply for Nepali visa with Online Application System
- "Important Information to Visitors". Department of Immigration, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of Nepal. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "Provisional Visa Arrangements And Fee". Department of Immigration, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of Nepal. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- 西藏商报. "昨起 中国赴尼游客出签免费". 搜狐新闻.
- "Nepal waives visa fees for Chinese tourists".