The visa policy of Nepal is relatively lax, allowing citizens of almost all nations to obtain a tourist visa on arrival. In accordance with the law, citizens of all countries except India require a visa to enter Nepal.
In January 2014, Nepal introduced an online visa application system.
Visa policy map
Freedom of movement
Citizens of India do not need a visa to enter Nepal, and can reside permanently as Nepali citizens with no restrictions, because Article 7 the 1950 Indo-Nepal Treaty of Peace and Friendship allows free movement of people between the two nations on a reciprocal basis.
Indian citizens can use any acceptable documents mentioned below to enter Nepal:
- Indian Passport
- Voter ID card with photograph.Note only valid Voter ID card plastic card is acceptable the black and white lamimated cards not accepted.
- Registration certificate issued by the Indian embassy to the Indian citizen residing in Nepal
- Ad hoc/temporary identity card issued by the Indian embassy to the Indian citizen in the event of emergency
Visa on arrival
With the exception of nationals of states mentioned below and holders of refugee travel documents, any foreign national can obtain a tourist visa on arrival. Multiple entry visas can be issued for a duration of stay of 15, 30 or 90 days. Holders of temporary passports are not eligible unless they hold a temporary passport issued by a European Union member state.
Visa on arrival is available at:
- Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
- Birganj (India border)
- Bheemdatta (India border)
- Dhangadhi (India border)
- Nepalgunj (India border)
- Kakarbhitta (India border)
- Kodari (China side: Zhangmu Port, which is currently available for cargo transaction only)
- Siddharthanagar (India border)
Visa required in advance
Citizens of the following states are required to apply for a visa prior to arrival in Nepal:
Visa fee waiver
Most visitors arriving to Nepal for tourism purpose were from the following countries (excluding India):
- "Visa and passport". Timatic. International Air Transport Association through Emirates. Retrieved 1 April 2017.
- "Updated Urgent Notice Regarding Travel Restriction Related to Covid-19 Dated 13th March 2020 12:15 HRS NST". Archived from the original on 2020-03-13. Retrieved 2020-03-13.
- "Important Information to Visitors". Department of Immigration, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of Nepal. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- "20181009持普通护照中国公民前往有关国家和地区入境便利待遇一览表.doc（备注1）". 中国领事服务网.
- 赵二召 何宇恒 陈志强. "樟木口岸恢复开通货运功能——移民管理警察实施4年来首次出入境检查". 中国西藏网.
- "Prohibition to Visa on Arrival". Archived from the original on 2018-06-05. Retrieved 2018-01-03.
- "Provisional Visa Arrangements And Fee". Department of Immigration, Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of Nepal. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- 西藏商报. "昨起 中国赴尼游客出签免费". 搜狐新闻.
- "Nepal waives visa fees for Chinese tourists". Archived from the original on 2017-06-27. Retrieved 2016-01-07.
- http://www.myanmarembassy.com/pdf/Visa%20exemption%20Between%20Myanmar%20and%20Nepal.pdf[bare URL PDF]
- "Qatar-Nepal talks focus on enhancing ties". 30 October 2018.
- "Downloads - Nepal Tourism Statistics". trade.welcomenepal.com.