Visa policy of South Korea

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Not to be confused with Visa policy of North Korea.
South Korea passport stamps

South Korea maintains a visa waiver agreement list[1] and a designated visa-free entry list[2] with countries not included on those lists requiring a visa to enter the country.[3] In addition, foreigners wishing to engage in certain activities such as diplomatic work, gainful employment, study or residence must apply for the appropriate visa prior to engaging in that activity in country.[4][5]

Visa policy map[edit]

Map of countries with visa-free entry or visa waiver agreements with South Korea.

Visa-free entry[edit]

180 days[edit]

90 days[edit]

60 days[edit]

30 days[edit]

Non-ordinary passports[edit]

Holders of diplomatic, official or service passports of the following countries may enter without a visa while ordinary passport holders require one:

D — diplomatic passports
O — official passports
S — service passports

Holders of diplomatic, official or service passports of the following countries enjoy an extended length of stay when compared to ordinary passports:

If traveling by air to Jeju Island via Seoul, Busan, Cheongju, Muan and Yangyang, citizens of  China who are traveling as part of a tourist group by authorized travel agent may stay in mainland South Korea for up to 15 days.[6] Chinese citizens may also stay for 30 days in transit to or from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Switzerland, United States[7] or an EEA member state with a valid visa sticker.

North Koreans[edit]

Those who are positively evaluated as North Korean citizens are considered as South Korean citizens.[8][9]

Jeju Island[edit]

All ordinary passport holders except the following can stay visa-free 30 days in the Jeju Special Autonomous Province:[10]

APEC Business Travel Card[edit]

Holders of passports issued by the following countries who possess an APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) which states on the reverse that it is valid for travel to South Korea can enter visa-free for up to 90 days.[6]

ABTCs are issued to nationals of:[11]

Visa entry[edit]

South Korea provides visas to cover various approved activities in country.

Working Holiday Visa (H-1)[edit]

The Working Holiday Visa (H-1) is issued to young-adult foreigners in some countries which have reciprocal agreements with South Korea. Holders are allowed to stay in the country for up to one year and engage in some employment activities as well as some educational activities. However, the main purpose of the trip is intended to be vacation. People between the ages of 18 and 25 or 30, depending on the country, are eligible for a South Korean working holiday visa. A working holiday visa holder cannot be employed in certain jobs such as receptionist, dancer, singer, musician, acrobat, or in places of entertainment where they may endanger good morals and manners.

Overseas Study (D-2) visa[edit]

The Overseas Study (D-2) visa is issued to a foreigner who are planning to study at the undergraduate or above level of school.[15]

Due to the high cost of education and difficulty in attracting foreign students the government considered granting special work visas to parents of students on D-2 visas in 2006. Parents would have been able to remain and work in the country for up to five years.[16] In the same year it was noted that foreign students often taught illegally to keep up with their finances. Immigration law allowed D-2 visa holders only to work part-time in some businesses which paid an average of 3000W per hour. Students were allowed to work only 20 hours per week. However, students could earn 30000-50000W per hour teaching languages as tutors.[17] In 2007 over 1800 foreigners on D-2 visas were found to be working illegally. Foreigners who have a D-2 visa are prohibited from working full-time.[18] 2009 saw concern raised over Chinese nationals who overstayed their visas. There was an 11.7 times increase in overstays on the D-2 and other visas. It was also reported that "a number" of those entering on D-2 visas from China were doing so only to find a job illegally.[19] In 2010 68 illegal tutors on D-2 visas were caught by the immigration department.[20]

Corporate Investment (D-8) visa[edit]

The Corporate Investment (D-8) visa is issued to foreigners who are going to own and manage a small or medium business in South Korea or who are sent as specialists to work at businesses owned by companies outside Korea. Individuals wishing to apply for this visa on their own must invest a minimum of 50 million won.[21][22]

The amount of money required as an investment by foreigners to obtain the visa has risen over the years. In 1991 a foreign investor was required to invest only 25 million won, then in 2001 this was raised to 50 million won. In 2010 the government announced that it was looking to increase this further to 100 million for a number of reasons. Due to inflation, a rise in the cost of living and other costs they felt that 100 million was more representative of what was required as a minimum investment to start a business in Korea. However, there was also concern that some foreigners were taking advantage of the visa and using it to reside permanently in Korea without actually creating any business. Once the visa has been issued the government doesn't keep track of the investment, so some foreigners were using agents who provided the investment money for a fee in order for them to obtain the visa. Concern was raised that the increase would do nothing to deter abuse of the visa and would instead discourage foreign investment in Korea.[23] The regulations surrounding the visa and foreign business ownership have been criticized for requiring a Korean guarantor even though the foreigner has invested a large sum of money and been given permission to open nearly any business they wish.[24]

Foreign Language teaching (E-2) visa[edit]

The Foreign Language teaching (E-2) visa is issued to foreign language teachers who work in South Korea. Applicants are required to be native residents of a country whose mother tongue is the same as the language they will teach and they are also required to hold a bachelor's degree from that country. Applications are required to submit criminal background checks, health checks, sealed transcripts, verified copies of their degree, contracts and a fee to obtain the visa.[25]

In 2007 the government introduced several new regulations to the E-2 visa. Included in these were a criminal record check, health check, and consulate/embassy interview for first-time applicants.[26] In 2008 several English-speaking countries that were disqualified from applying for the E-2 visa denounced it as discriminatory. The Philippines ambassador met with Korean Immigration officials to try to persuade them to change the policy and allow teachers from The Philippines to teach English in South Korea.[27] However, the government had already indicated earlier in the year that they planned to look at expanding E-2 visas to additional countries but it required the approval of various government agencies, so there was no timeframe for when it would come to fruition.[28] In the same year, foreign instructors already working in Korea also called the rules surrounding the visa discriminatory because they were subject to health criminal and other checks, unlike other foreigners on different visas, such as ethnic Koreans born abroad or foreigners who had married Koreans. Korean Immigration responded that it was their policy to favour ethnic Koreans and that other nations and territories followed similar policies.[29] Increasing crime was cited as a reason for the regulations, but some teachers felt it was a knee-jerk reaction to a suspected pedophile who had taught in South Korea, but never had a criminal record in the first place. Immigration again claimed the right to decide how and to whom it issued visas.[30] Later in 2009, a challenge was filed with the National Human Rights Commission in Korea over the checks by law professor Benjamin Wagner.[31]

Residency (F-2) visa[edit]

The Residency (F-2) visa is issued to spouses of Korean nationals or holders of the F-5 permanent residency visa. Applicants must provide documents proving financial ability and relationship.[32] The visa is also issued to refugees who gain permanent residence status in Korea.[33]

Concern was raised in 2008 that "unqualified foreigner teachers" were using F visas like the F-2 to gain employment in Korea.[34] The government passed a law in 2009 that would change the visas issued to government employees of foreign countries from E7 to F2.[35] In 2010 the government announced that foreigners who invested over US$500,000 on Jeju Island can also obtain an F-2 residency visa.[36] It was also announced in 2010 that foreigners already on certain visas would be given an opportunity to change their visa to an F-2 visa after meeting certain criteria and accruing a certain number of points.[37][38]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Countries under Visa Waiver Agreements". Korea Immigration Services. 24 August 2009. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  2. ^ "Foreigners". Korea Immigration Services. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  3. ^ "Visa Information - Republic of Korea". Timatic. IATA. Retrieved 17 December 2013. 
  4. ^ "Visa". Korea Immigration Services. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  5. ^ "Immigration". Hi Korea. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  6. ^ a b [1]
  7. ^ Not applicable to travel to or from Guam and Northern Mariana Islands.
  8. ^ Determination of Nationality of Koreans with North Korean Nationality
  9. ^ "Responsibility to Protect in North Korea - Harvard International Review". 7 December 2011. 
  10. ^ "Korea Visa & Passports - Official Korea Tourism Organization". 
  11. ^ "ABTC Summary - APEC Business Travel Card". 
  12. ^ "Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Chile - Foreign Minister Muñoz participates in the signing of agreements with the Republic of Korea". 
  13. ^
  14. ^ Korea, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of. "Press > Press Releases". 
  15. ^ "Overseas Study (D-2)". Hi Korea. 20 July 2010. Retrieved 6 September 2010. 
  16. ^ Kim Tong-hyung (10 July 2006). "Foreign Students' Parents to Get Work Permit". The Korea Times. Retrieved 6 September 2010. 
  17. ^ Kang Shin-who (22 November 2006). "Foreign Students Teach Illegally to Survive". The Korea Times. Retrieved 6 September 2010. 
  18. ^ Kang Shin-who (24 January 2008). "Korea Denies Entry to Thais Most". The Korea Times. Retrieved 17 October 2010. 
  19. ^ "SOUTH KOREA: 13% of Chinese students stay illegally". The Dong-A Ilbo. 28 June 2009. Retrieved 6 September 2010. 
  20. ^ Kang Shin-who (29 January 2010). "Illegal Foreign Tutors on Rise". The Korea Times. Retrieved 6 September 2010. 
  21. ^ "Corporate Investment (D-8)". Hi Korea. 20 July 2010. Retrieved 29 August 2010. 
  22. ^ John Redmond (2 December 2008). "Obtaining D8 Visa". The Korea Times. Retrieved 29 August 2010. 
  23. ^ Cathy Rose A. Garcia (17 August 2010). "Foreigners piqued by capital requirements". The Korea Times. Retrieved 29 August 2010. 
  24. ^ Cathy Rose A. Garcia (24 April 2010). "Tax, Visa Pose Hurdles for Foreign Entrepreneurs". The Korea Times. Retrieved 29 August 2010. 
  25. ^ "Foreign Language teaching (E-2)". Hi Korea. 20 July 2010. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  26. ^ Kim Soe-jung (3 December 2007). "New visa rules may force some to return home". JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 29 August 2010. 
  27. ^ "RP to Korea: Let Pinoys teach English in schools". GMA Network Inc. 10 July 2008. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  28. ^ Yoon Won-sup; Kang Shin-who (22 January 2008). "Immigration Office Plans to Ease Visa Rule". The Korea Times. Retrieved 17 October 2010. 
  29. ^ Kang Shin-who (5 October 2008). "Foreign Teachers Say Visa-Rule Biased". The Korea Times. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  30. ^ Kang Shin-who (8 January 2009). "New Visa Law Angers Foreign Teachers Here". The Korea Times. Retrieved 29 August 2010. 
  31. ^ Kim Mi-ju; Kate Leaver (5 February 2009). "Visa rules for foreign English teachers challenged". JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 28 August 2010. 
  32. ^ "Residency (F-2)". Hi Korea. 20 July 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010. 
  33. ^ Teri Weaver (19 November 2006). "Some household workers in South Korea may lose base access". Stars and Stripes. Retrieved 30 August 2010. 
  34. ^ Kang Shin-who (19 October 2008). "Ethnic Koreans Face Tougher Screening". The Korea Times. Retrieved 30 August 2010. 
  35. ^ Park Si-soo (8 January 2009). "Foreigners at Government Agencies Will Get Privileged Visa Status". The Korea Times. Retrieved 30 August 2010. 
  36. ^ Kwon Mee-yoo (31 January 2010). "Application for Korean Citizenship Simplified". The Korea Times. Retrieved 30 August 2010. 
  37. ^ "Immigrations Gets Easier for Professionals". The Chosun Ilbo. 1 February 2010. Retrieved 30 August 2010. 
  38. ^ "Notice from Ministry of Justice No. 10 - 025". Hi Korea. 11 February 2010. Retrieved 31 August 2010. 

External links[edit]