Visappu (Hunger) is a collection of short stories by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer published in 1954. The collection includes Basheer's first story "Ente Thankam" (My Darling) which is titled "Thankam" in the book. This story originally appeared in the Ernakulam-based newspaper Jayakesari in the year 1937. The other stories include "Visappu" (Hunger), "Marunnu" (Medicine) and "Pishachu" (Devil). Visappu is considered as a modern classic in south Asian literature.
List of stories
- "Nammude Hridayangal"
- "Works by Vaikom Muhammad Basheer". New York University. Retrieved 3 June 2013.
- Satchidanandan, K. (February 2008). "Sultan of story: A birth centenary tribute to Vaikom Mohammed Basheer who picked up his tales from life's poetry". Frontline. 25 (2). Retrieved 30 May 2018.
- M. N. Vijayan (1996). M. N. Vijayan, ed. Basheer fictions. Katha. p. 21.
- Vaikom Muhammad Basheer (1954). "Foreword". Vushappu (Hunger). Current Books.
It is years since I have started writing stories. When did I start? I think it was from 1937. I have been living in Ernakulam since then. I was a writer by profession. I wrote a great deal. I would get my writing published in newspapers and journals. No one paid me for it. The stories were published between 1937 and 1941 in Navajeevan, a weekly published in Trivandrum in those days.
- Rupert Snell, I. M. P. Raeside. Classics of Modern South Asian Literature. Harrassowitz Verlag. pp. 27, 28.