Viscount Hardinge, of Lahore and of Kings Newton in the County of Derby, is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1846 for the soldier and Tory politician Sir Henry Hardinge. His son, the second Viscount, represented Downpatrick in Parliament. His great-great-grandson, the sixth Viscount, succeeded a distant relative as eighth Baronet, of Belle Isle in the County of Fermanagh, in 1986. This title had been created in the Baronetage of the United Kingdom 1801 for Richard Hardinge. He was the third son of Nicolas Hardinge, younger brother of Reverend Henry Hardinge and uncle of the latter's third son Henry Hardinge, 1st Viscount Hardinge. The baronetcy was created with special remainder to the heirs male of Richard Hardinge's father.
As of 31 January 2014 the present Baronet has not successfully proved his succession and is therefore not on the Official Roll of the Baronetage, with the baronetcy considered dormant since 1968.
Another member of the Hardinge family was the diplomat Charles Hardinge, 1st Baron Hardinge of Penshurst. He was the second son of the second Viscount Hardinge. George Nicholas Hardinge was an officer of the Royal Navy, second son of Reverend Henry Hardinge and elder brother of the first Viscount.
Viscounts Hardinge (1846)
- Henry Hardinge, 1st Viscount Hardinge (1785–1856)
- Charles Stewart Hardinge, 2nd Viscount Hardinge (1822–1894)
- Henry Charles Hardinge, 3rd Viscount Hardinge (1857–1924)
- Caryl Nicholas Charles Hardinge, 4th Viscount Hardinge (1905–1979)
- Henry Nicholas Paul Hardinge, 5th Viscount Hardinge (1929–1984)
- Charles Henry Nicholas Hardinge, 6th Viscount Hardinge (1956–2004)
- Andrew Hartland Hardinge 7th Viscount Hardinge (1960–2014)
- Thomas Henry de Montarville Hardinge, 8th Viscount Hardinge (b. 1993)
The heir presumptive is the present holder's brother Hon. Jamie Alexander David Hardinge (b. 1996).
Hardinge Baronets, of Belle Isle (1801)
- Sir Richard Hardinge, 1st Baronet (1756–1826)
- Sir Charles Hardinge, 2nd Baronet (1780–1864)
- Sir Henry Charles Hardinge, 3rd Baronet (1830–1873)
- Sir Edmund Stracey Hardinge, 4th Baronet (1833–1924)
- Sir Charles Edmund Hardinge, 5th Baronet (1878–1968)
- Sir Robert Hardinge, 6th Baronet (1887–1973)
- Sir Robert Arnold Hardinge, 7th Baronet (1914–1986)
- Sir Charles Henry Nicholas Hardinge, 8th Baronet (1956–2004) (had already succeeded as Viscount Hardinge in 1984)
for further succession, see above
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Leigh Rayment's list of baronets [self-published source][better source needed]