Viscount Lifford is a title in the Peerage of Ireland. It was created in 1781 for James Hewitt, 1st Baron Lifford, the Lord Chancellor of Ireland. He had already been created Baron Lifford, of Lifford in the County of Donegal, in 1768, also in the Peerage of Ireland. He was succeeded by his son, the second Viscount, who was Dean of Armagh from 1796 to 1830. His grandson, the fourth Viscount, sat in the House of Lords as an Irish Representative Peer from 1856 to 1887. His younger son, the sixth Viscount (who succeeded his elder brother), was a Captain in the Royal Navy. His son, the seventh Viscount, fought in both the Second Boer War and the First World War. He was succeeded by his cousin, the eighth Viscount. He was the son of the Hon. George Wyldbore Hewitt, seventh son of the fourth Viscount. As of 2014[update] the titles are held by his son, the ninth Viscount, who succeeded in 1987.
Viscounts Lifford (1781)
- James Hewitt, 1st Viscount Lifford (1709–1789)
- James Hewitt, 2nd Viscount Lifford (1751–1830)
- James Hewitt, 3rd Viscount Lifford (1783–1855)
- James Hewitt, 4th Viscount Lifford (1811–1887)
- James Wilfred Hewitt, 5th Viscount Lifford (1837–1913)
- Archibald Robert Hewitt, 6th Viscount Lifford (1844–1925)
- Evelyn James Hewitt, 7th Viscount Lifford (1880–1954)
- Alan William Wingfield Hewitt, 8th Viscount Lifford (1900–1987)
- Edward James Wingfield Hewitt, 9th Viscount Lifford (born 1949)
- He married on 5 April 2008 Lady Iona Katherine Douglas-Home (born 1980), elder daughter of the 15th Earl of Home. Reported by The Times and The Daily Telegraph in their 29 November 2007 print editions. Online version (searcheable):: "The Hon Thomas Hewitt and Lady Iona Douglas-Home [:] The engagement is announced between Thomas, son of Viscount and Viscountess Lifford of Field House, Hursley, Hampshire, and Iona, elder daughter of The Earl and Countess of Home of The Hirsel, Coldstream, Berwickshire.", from The Times Marriage Register, accessed 30 November 2007.
- Harry Alexander Wyldbore Hewitt, By Michael Rhodes 18/02/2010, Peerage News – Google Groups
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,[page needed]
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- Theroff, Paul (2007). "Descendants of King James VI & I" updated 11 November 2007 in text format, The Theroff Files. Retrieved 30 November 2007.