This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Visakha Hari at a concert in Bengaluru in 2016.
|Genres||Indian classical music|
Vishaka Hari learned Carnatic music under the legendary Carnatic violinist, Padma Vibhushan Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman. Her spiritual guru and father-in-law is Sri Sri Krishna Premi Swamigal (Sri Sri Anna). She learned the art of Harikatha from her husband, Sri Hariji, an experienced Harikatha exponent who delivers discourses in Tamil, English and Hindi.
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vishaka Hari has performed in several sabhas during the Chennai Music Season since 2006.
Vishaka Hari occasionally performs with her husband, Sri Hari (son of Paranur Mahatma Krishna Premi Anna), who uses her English literary background to supplement her kathakalakshepam performances. Her brother, Saketharaman, also a disciple of Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman, is one of the leading carnatic musicians in India.[according to whom?] An artist of All India Radio, she has given discourses and concerts abroad.
Vishaka Hari learned Bharatha Natyam from prominent dancer, Professor Sudharani Raghupati. Smt. Vishaka performs Harikatha on various topics Based on Srimad Ramayanam, Srimad Bhagavatham and Skanda puranam. She also performs from Srisrianna's works such as: Sri Vaishnava Samhitha; Sri Brindavana Mahatmyam; Divya Desa Vaibhavam; Harikatha Amritha Lahari; Sri Bhaktha purisha Stavam; Sati vijayam, Shatakams and Keerthanas.
Awards and recognition
She has received many prizes and awards for her contributions to the Harikatha and Carnatic music fields.[according to whom?]*
- Received the Vasantashreshtha, that is the 'woman par excellence' award, from the hands of her music guru Sri Lalgudi Jayaraman and the Thyagarja
Pratidhwani or 'echo of Thyagaraja Swami' title from her spiritual guru and father-in-law Sri Krishna Premi Swamigal.
- Smt Vishaka hari was awarded Dr. M.S. Subbulakshmi Centenary Award at a ceremony in Mumbai Sri Shamukhananda Fine Arts and Sangeetha Sabha on 13th of
September 2016.She is one amongst seven of India’s most-respected women artistes.
- On 20 November 2016, Bharitya Vidya Bhavan,Chennai decorated Smt Vishaka Hari with the 'Lifetime Achievement' award by the guest of the day Infosys
chairman, R. Seshasayee.
- "The raconteur's raga". 23 May 2008. Retrieved 29 July 2018 – via www.thehindu.com.
- "From commerce to katha". The Hindu. Retrieved 2017-03-30.
- "7 women get M.S. Subbulakshmi Awards". The Hindu. 14 September 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Bhavan's cul-fest opens to a full house". Kutcheribuzz.com. 2016-11-21. Retrieved 2018-07-29.