Vishnu Khare (born 1940) is an Indian Hindi poet, translator, literary and film critic, journalist and scriptwriter. He writes both in Hindi and English. He taught English literature at university level, served as the Programme Secretary of Sahitya Akademi, the National Academy of Letters in India and was editor of the Hindi daily Navbharat Times” in Lucknow, Jaipur and New Delhi.
Vishnu Khare has published five collections of poetry, Pathantar (2008) being the latest, and a book of criticism Alochana kee Pahlee Kitaab. He has been a prolific translator in Hindi, English, German and other European and Asian languages.
Awards and honours
Khare is a recipient of many awards and honours, including an Order of the White Rose of Finland for his Hindi translation of the national epic of Finland, Kalevala. He was also awarded Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana, IV Class by Government of Estonia for his Hindi translation of the national epic of Estonia, Kalevipoeg. He has received many prestigious Hindi literary awards like the Rahguveer Sahay Samman, Maithilisharan Gupt Samman as well as the Shikhar Samman.
- "Vishnu Khare - Literature Across Frontiers". Lit-across-frontiers.org. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- "HeadRead / Vishnu Khare". Headread.ee. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- "Pratilipi » विष्णु खरे / Vishnu Khare". Pratilipi.in. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- "Full list: Estonia thanks and recognises 99 people with decorations - Local News - Estonian news in English". News.postimees.ee. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- "Elm : Estonian Literary Magazine" (PDF). Estinst.ee. 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2015-04-17.
- "Print Fair - PrintWeek India". Printweek.in. Archived from the original on 2014-09-09. Retrieved 2015-04-17.