The Vishwamitri flows west through the city of Vadodara and joins the Dhadhar River and Khanpur River before emptying into the Gulf of Khambhat near Khanpur village. This river system includes the Sayaji Sarovar on the Vishwamitri River near Ajwa, and the Dev Dam on the Dhadhar Branch. As it flows through Vadodara, the Vishwamitri River receives the city's sewage and effluent from nearby industries. A study conducted in 2002 by the Crocodile Specialist Group showed that in spite of these pollutants, the 25 kilometres (16 mi) stretch of the river which passes through Vadodara is home to 100 mugger crocodiles. Despite a number of dams on the Vishwamitri and its tributaries it remains subject to flooding.
Vadodara Municipal Corporation (VMC) plans to establish a body for the development of Vishwamitri River along the lines of the Sabarmati Riverfront Development although it may take 20 to 25 years to develop a riverfront.
Notes and references
- "Riverfront Development for Vishwamitri". Vadodara Property Centre. 15 March 2010. Archived from the original on 20 April 2010.
- "VMC to rehabilitate Vishwamitri crocodiles in Ajwa Sarovar". Indian Express. 3 November 2008. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015.
- Raja, Aditi & Saiyed, Kamal (17 June 2014). "Narmada or Vishwamitri, crocodiles on the offensive in Gujarat". Indian Express. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015.
- "After J&K heavy rainfall wreaks havoc in Gujarat, 5,300 people evacuated to safer places". Daily Bhaskar. 10 September 2014. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015.
- "Vishwamitri Riverfront: MP seeks Centre's push". Indian Express. 18 December 2014. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015.
- "'Vishwamitri's revival can be a model for rivers in India'". The Times of India. 21 March 2015. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015.
- Sharma, Sachin (15 March 2010). "VMC keen on riverfront development corporation for Vishwamitri". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015.
- "Vishwamitri riverfront : Irrigation dept to submit report next week". Indian Express. 6 December 2009. Archived from the original on 19 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vishwamitri River.|
|This article related to a river in India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|