|This article does not cite any sources. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The dean of students is Oscar Chavarria. Vistamar School opened in September 2005, following almost four years of research, planning, fund raising and personnel recruitment. The school has a 76,000-square-foot (7,100 m2) building at 737 Hawaii Street in El Segundo and has remodeled approximately half the space for student use. Enrollment in 2012-13 was about 270 students. Over the next few years, Vistamar plans to expand to an anticipated enrollment of 380 students in grades 9 through 12.
Vistamar offers a wide array of courses to the student body.
- Math 1 - A culmination of algebra and geometry.
- Math 2 - A culmination of geometry and some algebra.
- Math 3 - A class focused on algebra and trigonometry, often equated to algebra 2.
- Math 3 honors - Same as math 3, but at an accelerated pace.
- Math 4 - Often equated to pre-calculus.
- Math 4 honors - Same as math 4, but at an accelerated pace.
- Advanced Placement Statistics
- Advanced Placement Calculus AB
- Advanced Placement Calculus BC
- Advanced Topics in Math
- Global studies - 9
- Civilization studies - 10
- Contemporary world history -12
- American literature
- Advanced Placement Human Geography social studies - 12
- Advanced Placement English language - 11
- Advanced Placement English literature - 12
- United States history -11
- English - 12
- Introduction to linguistics - 9
- Introduction to economics - 9
- Information Management - 9
- Introduction to forensics speech and debate - 10
- Introduction to Cultural Anthropology - 10
- Writer's Workshop - 10
Vistamar has two language programs and a program of Spanish for heritage/native speakers:
- Spanish for heritage or native speakers - with emphasis on fostering an educated bilingualism and developing existing abilities in Spanish to the level of their abilities in English.
- Spanish for heritage/native speakers III
- Spanish for heritage/native speakers IV
- AP Spanish literature
- Spanish language - with emphasis on oral proficiency and communication.
- Spanish I
- Spanish II
- Spanish II honors
- Spanish III
- Spanish III honors
- Spanish IV
- AP Spanish language
- AP Spanish literature
- Mandarin Chinese - with emphasis on oral proficiency and communication.
- Level I
- Level II
- Level III
- Level IV
- AP Chinese Language and Culture
- Modular science I, II and III is offered in a rotation between chemistry, physics and biology for one trimester each.
- Advanced topics in science
- Advanced Placement Biology
- Advanced Placement Chemistry
- Advanced Placement Physics C
- Advanced Placement Environmental Science
These are art electives
- 2-D art
- 3-D art
- Digital Media
- Introduction to acting
- Advanced Acting
- Studio art - This course is offered to juniors who show interest in the arts, but choose not to enroll in the AP class. It is a studio course in preparation for AP studio art.
- Advanced Placement Studio Art
- Advanced Photography
- Film Making
- Advanced Film Making
In addition, the school has put on numerous school plays. The following were directed by Chris Kent:
- Metamorphoses based on a poem by Ovid
- Blithe Spirit by Noël Coward
- Rumors by Neil Simon
- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
- The Laramie Project by Moisés Kaufman and members of the Tectonic Theater Project
- Guys and Dolls by Frank Loesser
The following were directed by Kevin Shaw:
- Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare
- Little Shop of Horrors by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman
The following were directed by Mickey Blaine:
Advanced Placement selections
Vistamar offers Advance Placement courses: English language and composition, English literature and composition, statistics, calculus AB, Spanish language, Spanish literature, Chinese language and culture, environmental science, chemistry, biology, physics, studio art and Advanced Placement Human Geography.