Visteon Dockable Entertainment
|Type||Video game console|
|Media||Cartridge, DVD, CD|
|CPU||ARM7TDMI, 16.78 MHz|
|Graphics||Custom 2D core|
The Visteon Dockable Entertainment System (officially referred to as Dockable Entertainment featuring Game Boy Advance) is a portable DVD player created by Visteon in 2006 for the US market at an MSRP of $1299 USD. The player is notable for containing officially licensed Game Boy Advance hardware, as Visteon partnered with Nintendo to announce the product at CES 2006. Initially due out in April, the product was then delayed to May before finally launching in July of that year. To celebrate the product's launch Visteon held a photography and writing contest.
The device was not sold at general retailers, but rather at car dealerships in combination with a roof docking head mount for installation, or already equipped in select models of certain vehicles.
On April 1, 2008 Visteon introduced a model mounted into headrests for $1699. Later that year the company expressed interest in creating similar products for the Nintendo DS and Wii platforms, though neither materialized.
The most common roof-mountable version is based on the Visteon XV101 portable DVD player, and shares specifications in all aspects except those regarding Game Boy Advance compatibility.
- 10.2" Flip Down LCD Display
- 6-Pin Auxiliary Port
- Infrared Port
- DVD Drive
- Game Boy Advance Cartridge Slot
Neither version of the hardware was backwards compatible with Game Boy or Game Boy Color games.
- "Interview with Mark Boyle". YouTube.
- "CES: Visteon's dockable entertainment featuring GBA". Joystiq.
- "CES: Nintendo puts Game Boy in autos with Visteon". Macworld.
- "Dockable DVD player with GBA drops in May". Engadget.
- "Impressions: Visteon GBA/DVD Player". Joystiq.
- "Visteon Running Contest to Promote Dockable Game Boy System". WritersWrite.
- "Visteon's dockable multimedia player, GBA system still kickin'". Gamertell.
- "Visteon Headrest Entertainment System". Ubergizmo.
- "The GBA lives inside car headrests". Siliconera.
- "Gamertell Exclusive: Visteon looking into DS, Wii versions of Dockable Entertainment system". Technologytell.
- "Dockable Entertainment featuring Game Boy Advance Sheet" (PDF). Visteon.com. Archived from the original (PDF) on November 13, 2006.
- Official Visteon Webpage
- Dockable Entertainment featuring Game Boy Advance at Back Seat Mario.com (archived versions at the Internet Archive Wayback Machine)
|This Nintendo-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This video game-related article on computer hardware is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|