Visvesvaraya Technological University
|Motto||Modalu mānavanāgu (ಮೊದಲು ಮಾನವನಾಗು)|
Motto in English
|Above all, be human|
|Established||1 April 1998|
|Chancellor||Governor of Karnataka|
|Campus||Urban, 115 acres (0.5 km2)|
|Accreditation and Recognition||AICTE, CoA, UGC|
|Colours||Orange, White and Green|
|Athletics||Cycling, gymnastics, power lifting, swimming and weight lifting|
|Sports||Archery, Chess, Cricket, Basketball, Fencing, Football, Judo, Kabaddi, Netball, Softball, Tennis, Throwball, Volleyball, Wrestling and Yoga|
Visvesvaraya Technological University (VTU, previously spelled "Visveswaraiah Technological University") is a collegiate public state university in Belgaum, Karnataka established by the Government of Karnataka. Apart from a few notable exceptions, VTU has authority over engineering education throughout the state of Karnataka. It is a statutory requirement for colleges offering any program in engineering or technology in the state to be affiliated with the university.
VTU is one of the largest universities in India with 219 colleges affiliated to it with an intake capacity of over 467,100 undergraduate students and 12,666 postgraduate students. The university encompasses technical and management fields which offer 30 undergraduate and 71 postgraduate courses. It has around 1800 PhD candidates.
It is one of the few universities in India to have 16 of its affiliated colleges recognised by the World Bank for getting assistance in setting up state-of-the-art laboratories, campus facilities, and research centres under the TEQIP (Technical Education Quality Improvement Programme, a government of India initiative).
In India, the state governments are responsible for education in their states. Development and monitoring of universities is in the mandate of a state government. In view of improving the quality of technical education in Karnataka, the state government passed the VTU Act in 1994 which led to formation of VTU and its dedication to technical education. VTU's mandate is defined as:
- Promote planned and sustainable development of technical education consistent with state and national policies
- Design need based programs that ensure adequate human resource of the right kind
- Establish objective evaluation and certification systems for students programs and institutions
- Collaborate with national and international institutions, R&D establishments, organisations like AICTE, MHRD, UGC, industry and user agencies
The VTU Act vested authority to VTU as the sole affiliating university for technical education in the state. All the colleges in the state that offered technical programs, mostly affiliated to regional state universities, were obligated to shift affiliation to VTU. Notable exceptions to the VTU Act include, but are not limited to, University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering (affiliated to Bangalore University), National Institute of Technology Surathkal, and Manipal Institute of Technology.
Jnana Sangama, Belgaum is the headquarters of VTU. Additionally, the university has three regional centres in Bangalore, Gulbarga and Mysore. VTU has 13 QIP centres and 17 extension centres in its affiliated colleges offering postgraduate courses. It has around 2,305 departments recognised as research centres which are spread across its affiliated institutions in cities of Karnataka. The Jnana Sangama, Belgaum campus and the regional and extension centres of VTU at Bangalore, Davangere, Gulbarga and Mysore offer M.Tech, MBA, MCA and PhD programs.
VTU offers undergraduate engineering programs that award a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) or Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) degree. The university offers postgraduate programs that lead to Master of Technology (M.Tech), Master of Science (MSc) by research, Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Computer Applications (MCA) and doctorate (Ph.D). The MSc and Ph.D. are research degrees while the rest are taught degrees.
|Board||Undergraduate courses in English medium|
|Automobile Engineering||Automobile Engineering|
|Civil Engineering||Ceramics & Cement Technology, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering|
|Chemical / Polymer Engineering||Chemical Engineering, Silk Technology, Textile Technology, Polymer Science & Technology|
|CSE / ISE||Computer Science & Engineering and Information Science & Engineering|
|Electrical Engineering||Electrical & Electronics Engineering|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||Electronics & Communication Engineering, Telecommunication Engineering|
|IPE / IEM / MA||Industrial & Production Engineering, Industrial Engineering & Management, Manufacturing Science & Engineering|
|IT / BM / ML||Biomedical Engineering, Instrumentation Technology, Medical Electronics|
|Mechanical Engineering||Aeronautical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mining Engineering, Precision Engineering, Printing Technology, Tool Engineering|
|Mechatronics Engineering||Mechatronics Engineering|
The university has 11 postgraduate boards which offer Master of Technology (M.Tech) programs:
|Board||Postgraduate programs in English medium|
|Civil Engineering||Computer Aided Design of Structure, Construction Technology, Environmental Engineering, Geo-Informatics, Highway Technology, Structural Engineering, Transportation Engineering And Management, Infrastructure construction and management.|
|Chemical Engineering||Chemical Engineering|
|Computer Science and Engineering||Computer Engineering, Computer Network Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Information Technology, Software Engineering|
|Electrical Engineering||Computer Applications in Industrial Drives (ECD), Energy Systems & Management (EEM), Microelectronics and Control Systems (EMS), Power Electronics (EPE), Power Systems, Engineering (EPS)|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||Digital Communication Engineering, Digital Communication & Networking, Digital Electronics, Digital Electronics & Communication, Digital Electronics & Communication Systems, Electronics, Industrial Electronics, Information & Communication System, Network & Internet Engineering, VLSI Design & Embedded Systems, Signal Processing, Communication Systems, Intelligent Systems|
|IP Engineering||Manufacturing Science & Engineering (MSE), Master of Engineering Management (MEM), Product Design & Manufacturing (MPD), Production Engineering & System Technology (MPT), Production Engineering (MPE), Production Management (MPM), Production Technology (MPY)|
|IT Engineering||Biomedical Signal Processing & Instrumentation|
|MBA||Master Of Business Administration|
|MCA||Master of Computer Applications|
|Mechanical Engineering||Computational Analysis in Mechanical Sciences, M.Tech in Aeronautical Engineering (MAE), Industrial Automation and Robotics (MAR), Computer Integrated Manufacturing (MCM), Design Engineering (MDE), Engineering Analysis (MEA), Machine Design (MMD), Thermal Power (MTP), Tool Engineering (MTE)|
|Textile Technology||Textile Technology|
Visvesvaraya Technological University accomplished its primary task of setting a common syllabus across the state in 1998. The university revises the syllabus every four years keeping in view technology upgrades around the world. The syllabus was revised in 2002, 2006 and 2010. In 2012, VTU announced that it would launch a 'first-of-its-kind' elective targeting railways and metro technology as part of the civil, electrical and mechanical engineering courses.
The university has signed MoUs with multinational corporations like IBM, Intel Asia Electronics Inc., Ingersoll-Rand (India) Ltd., Bengaluru, Nokia, Bosch Rexroth and Microsoft to improve the industry interactions for students and teachers.
VTU has over 2305 research centres in 219 affiliated colleges.
The university provides research scopes in the following fields:
- Aeronautical engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics & Communications/Telecommunication Engineering
- General Science
- Master of Business Administration
- Mechanical Engineering
- Textile & SILK Engineering
- Industrial Engineering and Management
- Petrochem Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Nano Technology Engineering
Organisation and administration
VTU is administered by its Executive Council and Academic Senate whose members are selected from the academic community and government officials. The present chancellor is Sri Vajubhai Vala, governor of Karnataka state and the vice-chancellor is Dr. Karisiddappa.
Visvesvaraya Institute of Advanced Technology
Visvesvaraya Institute of Advanced Technology (VIAT) is a research institute being constructed in Muddenahalli, Karnataka. The institute is on 200 acres (0.81 km2) of land near Nandi Hills and is expected to cost 600 crores. In the initial years, VIAT will focus on research in embedded technology, software quality, agricultural engineering and bioengineering. Each department will function as a 'discovery-innovation centre.' The institute will offer graduate and PhD programs in the sciences.
There are 201 colleges affiliated to the university. The colleges are categorised as 'government', 'private-aided' and 'private-unaided' based on the type of funding. A few colleges may be classified as 'minority linguistic' and 'minority religious' based on the minority status of languages and religions. Further, these colleges are placed under 'autonomous' and 'non-autonomous' category of institutions granted by UGC.
Exams are conducted twice a year for all affiliated colleges. Odd semester exam is conducted during December and January. Results usually published in February. Even semester exams are conducted during May/June; results are published in July.
Centres of excellence
The university has signed MoUs with international organisations (such as CANEUS International) and multinational corporations (like IBM, Intel Asia Electronics Inc., Ingersoll-Rand (India) Ltd., Bangalore, Nokia, Bosch Rexroth and Microsoft) and has set up centres of excellence.
'Autonomy' implies that the college has the freedom to set its own syllabus, evaluation system, and grading system, but the degree awarded will be by the university. This degree differs from the degree awarded by non-autonomous colleges, with the difference being that the college name is boldly marked as 'Autonomous'.
The Karnataka state has 24 autonomous engineering colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum.
- R. V. College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Government Tool Room & Training Centre, Bangalore
- M. S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- Sri Siddhartha Institute of Technology, Tumkur
- Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology, Bangalore
- Malnad College of Engineering, Hassan
- N.M.A.M. Institute of Technology, Nitte, Mangalore
- P.E.S. College of Engineering, Mandya
- SDM College of Engineering and Technology, Dharwad
- B.V.B. College of Engineering and Technology, Hubli (doesn't exist anymore, got the University status and is now called KLE Technological University, Hubli)
- Basaveshwar Engineering College, Bagalkot
- National Institute of Engineering, Mysore
- Sri Jayachamarajendra College of Engineering, Mysore (doesn't exist anymore,got the university status and is now called JSS Science and Technology University, Mysore)
- P.D.A. College of Engineering, Gulbarga
- Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur
- Dr.Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Nagarabhavi, Bangalore
- B. M. Sreenivasaiah College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Gogte Institute of Technology, Belgaum
- Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore
- New Horizon College of Engineering, Bangalore
- MVJ College of Engineering, Bangalore
- Nagarjuna College of Engineering and Technology, Bangalore
- Global Academy of Technology, Bangalore
- Vidya Vardhaka College of Engineering, Mysore
All the affiliated 'non-autonomous' colleges assess the students by a marking system. An aggregate score is calculated out of 100 as a percentage. All the subjects get equal weight. The final score is not calculated as a GPA but is instead awarded classes according to the marks obtained.
The classes awarded to the students of non-autonomous colleges are:
|Class Awarded||Marks Range||Abbreviation|
|First Class with Distinction||70 – 100||FCD|
|First Class||60 – 69||FC|
|Second Class||35 – 59||SC|
The university organises competitions for most sports played in India. Most competitions are held in its affiliated colleges except for tennis hockey, tennis, and table-tennis which are held on the campus at Belgaum. The winning teams represent the university in national-level competitions.
List of vice chancellors
|No.||From||To||Name||Position previously held|
|1||1 April 1998||30 March 2001||Dr. S. Rajashekharaiah||Principal,|
|2||1 April 2001||30 June 2007||Dr. K. Balaveera Reddy||Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,|
|3||1 July 2007||30 June 2010||Dr. H. P. Khincha||Chairman, Division of Electrical Sciences,|
|4||1 July 2010||14 March 2016||Dr. H. Maheshappa||Principal, Cambridge Institute of Technology, Bangalore|
|5||March, 2016||May, 2016||Dr. Shekarappa A H G (In-Charge Vice Chancellor)||Principal, Sheik College of Engineering, Belgaum |
|6||5 May 2016||Sep, 2016||Dr. V. Sridhar (In-Charge Vice Chancellor)||Principal, P.E.S College of Engineering, Mandya|
|7||Sep, 2016||Sep, 2019||Prof. Karisiddappa||Principal, Government Engineering College, Hassan|
- List of colleges affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University
- Visvesvaraya Institute of Advanced Technology
- "Academic Dept".
- "Governing Bodies".
- "Officers of the University".
- "University Student Enrollment Details". www.ugc.ac.in. Retrieved 10 February 2020.
- "Honour for VTU Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 25 August 2006.
- "Untitled Page" (PDF). www.ugc.ac.in.
- "Visvesvaraya Technological University - Ranking & Review". www.4icu.org.
- THE VISVESVARAYA TECHONOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY ACT, 1994. http://dpal.kar.nic.in/pdf_files/39%20of%201994%20(E).pdf
- "ug scheme & syllabus 2010-11".
- Scheme & Syllabus of PG Programmes - 2010-11
- "About VTU". Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 21 July 2011.
- "About VTU". Archived from the original on 10 October 2011. Retrieved 15 October 2011.
- Vision - Mission - Mandate
- "VTU Extension Centre". Vtu.ac.in. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 November 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "ANNq" (PDF). Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Degree Awarded".
- Visvesvaraya University. "VTU syllabus, rules and regulatons". www.meramaal.com. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "VTU Syllabus".
- Vivan, Sridhar (30 April 2012). "VTU to get on track with railway elective". Bangalore: Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 30 April 2012.
- "Minds - Visvesvaraya Technological University".
- "Handbook of universities - Ameeta Gupta, Ashish Kumar - Google Books".
- "Governing Bodies".
- "Foundation stone for VIAT to be laid soon". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 12 December 2008.
- "An emerging educational hub". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 7 September 2009.
- "Aaffiliated Institutions".
- "CET – Manual Book 69-83 Pages" (PDF). Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Autonomy Cell". Vtu.ac.in. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "VTU results".
- "VTU Results". VTU.
- "Makeover for VTU engg curriculum". Deccanherald.com. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Centres of Excellence". Vtu.ac.in. 18 February 2011. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Uday (21 May 2009). "All muddled over Microsoft- VTU MoU". All About Belgavi. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "VTU signs technology deal – Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 17 December 2002. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Education Plus: VTU fest from Feb. 15". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 26 January 2009. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Rajashekharaiah leaves VTU on strong foundation". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 1 April 2001. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "NATIONAL / KARNATAKA : Maheshappa takes over as VC". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 2 July 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "VTU VC will complete term: Minister – Deccan Herald – Internet Edition". Archive.deccanherald.com. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- Ashish Kumar (2006). Handbook of Universities. Atlantic Publishers & Dist. p. 632. ISBN 978-81-269-0608-6.
- "Deccan Herald – Prof Khincha is new VTU VC". Archive.deccanherald.com. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- ORCA INFOTECH PVT LTD, www.orcainfotech.com. "Society for Innovation & Development – Indian Institute of Science, SID – IISc". Sid.iisc.ernet.in. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Karnataka News : Maheshappa named Vice-Chancellor of VTU". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 1 July 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2011.
- "Google Scholar". Google Scholar. Retrieved 30 August 2017.
- "V. Sridhar is in-charge VC of VTU". The Hindu. Bangalore, India. 5 May 2016. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "P.E.S. College of Engineering". www.pescemandya.org.
- "Karisiddappa is VTU Vice-Chancellor". The Hindu. Bangalore, India. 25 September 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "Guv picks Karisiddappa as new V-C of VTU". Bangalore, India: newindianexpress. 25 September 2016. Retrieved 25 September 2016.
- "VC: Challenge before me is to create engineered engineers". Bangalore, India: bangaloremirror. 26 September 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Photo – Dr. H. N. Jagannatha Reddy, Registrar, VTU, and Dr. H. G. Shekharappa, Registrar (Evaluation) & I / c Finance Officer VTU welcoming new VTU VC Prof Karisiddappa". India: VTU.Official. 28 September 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Photo – Prof Karisiddappa addressing VTU staff members in VC's chamber". India: VTUinfo. 28 September 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Photo – Prof Karisidappa and VTU staff members". India: VTUinfo. 28 September 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Dr. H. N. Jagannatha Reddy, Registrar, VTU, and Dr. H. G. Shekharappa, Registrar (Evaluation) & I / c Finance Officer VTU welcoming new VTU VC Prof Karisiddappa". India: VTUinfo. 28 September 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Financial discipline is my priority, says new VTU VC". Times of India. Hubli, India. 30 September 2016. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "Welcome to Government Engineering College,Hassan - Government Engineering College,Hassan". www.gechassan.ac.in.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Visvesvaraya Technological University.|