|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nickname(s): City of Gold|
|• Body||Vita Municipal Council Mayor - Sou. Pratibhatai Vaibhav Patil|
|• MLA||Shri Anil Bhau Babar|
|Elevation||560 m (1,840 ft)|
|• Rank||3rd in Sangli District|
|Languages : Marathi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-MH|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Sangli|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Khanapur-Atpadi|
|Civic agency||Vita Municipal Corporation|
Vita is a town in Maharashtra in Sangli District. It is nicknamed "City of Gold". First CM of Maharashtra Shree. Yashwantraoji Chavhan completed his primary education here.Raje Ranade ( Konkanastha Brahmin) are the royal family of Vita and also known as the Inamdars of Vita.
In spite of water scarcity, people in Vita have displayed entrepreneurship in:
- Jewellery: Vitekars are involved in jewellery all over India.
- Agriculture: Vita produces excellent grapes. Sugarcane and pomegranates are also produced in abundance.
- Poultry farming
- Vita MIDC provides jobs .
Vita is well known for its festival celebrations. The biggest and best being Dusserra, wherein the palakhis of Revansiddha and Bhairavnatha compete against each other. Revansiddha GOD is considered as the guest of Vita hence its Palakhi is given the benefit of starting the race 100 meters ahead of Vita Bhairavnatha Palakhi. People from across the state come to see this event. Vita is also famous for its Bhairavnath Yatra. Vitekars celebrate all festivals including EID with equal enthusiasm.
Hindu maratha and Devang Koshti religion peoples have majority here. Also people from different religions likeMaratha , Devang Koshti, Buddhism, Islam, Jainism, Lingayat,also reside here. People having Surname Jangam,Gaikwad,Deshmukh,Tarlekar, Rokade,Chothe, Lotake, Kadam, Patil, Mhetre, Varude etc... staying here.
All colleges in Vita are affiliated to the Shivaji University, Kolhapur. Bharati vidyapeeth English medium school vita, Adarsh group of Institutes founded by Adv.Sadashivrav Hanmantrao Patil and Adv.Vaibhavdada Sadashivrav Patil provides quality education through Adarsh Public school, Adarsh institute of technology (Degree and polytechnic college) and Adarsh college of Pharmacy.
Communication and media
- Galai Bandhav gets published from The Weekly Vishal Vita every week which is The weekly news paper. This is the main source of information for people spread all over India for refinery business.
- Government buses are the main source of transportation. Buses from Vita ply to different cities like Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore, Belgaum and Hyderbad frequently. There are many private buses which provide regular services to Banglore,Manglore,Udipi,Mumbai,Ahmedabad,Nashik,Pune.
- Near by Railway Station is Karad (40 km away), Kirloskarwadi(35 km away), Takari (26 km away) and Miraj Jn (50 km away).
- Type of buses:-
- Excellent connectivity to all major places in western Maharashtra through Maharashtra State Road Transport Corporation buses
- Nearest Airport is Karad Airport ( 40 km away )
- It is a town where 2 state highways connect with each other at 90 degree angle. The roads are well connected to the others parts of Maharashtra like Pune, Kolhapur, Solapur etc. & states like Karnataka & Andhra Pradesh. It is among few towns in Maharashtra to have signages all over the town
Places of tourist interest in and around Vita
- Lord Revansiddha Temple, 8 km from Vita. It is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Sangli district. This temple is symbolic of spirituality. The journey to this temple from Vita is full of twists & turns. One must visit this place to explore the magnificent structure & natural flow of water inside the temple through a small mountain kind of structure. This temple is considered to be "Jagruth ".It receives thousands of visitors and pilgrims every year.
- Akara Mukhi Maruti Mandir in Alsand
- Bhairavnath Mandir (Gramdaivat of vita)
- Chourangi Nath Mandir 27.2km from Vita.south side of MIDC Kadegon
- Dargoba temple at pare - is a temple with a scenic background of a lake and mountains
- Dawlmalik baba dargah,Bhikawadi(bk),20km north of Vita.
- Hanuman temple,Karad road
- ISKON Temple (International Society for Krishna Consciousness)34 km South Near Tasgaon.
- Kalandar Baba (Pir), Lengare.
- Laxminarayan Puratan Vastu Sanghralay, Posewadi, Khanapur
- Lord Siddhanath temple,Kharsundi.
- Mahankaleshwar Temple, 9 km from vita, Pare Road.
- Mayani Migratory Bird Sanctuary 20 km North of Vita
- Mhaswadsiddha Mandir in Shitole Galli Vita
- Old Ganpati Temple,Old Mahadev Mandir Ram Mandir Vitthal Mandir all are Hemadpanthiy in Bramhangali Vita
- Panchlingeshwar Mahadev mandir At Panchlingnagar.
- Panchmukhi Ganpati Temple in Shivaji Chowk.
- Sagreshwar Sanctuary 30 km
- Shukacharya mandir Palashi.
- Vitthal Mandir / Kaleshwar Mandir in Ubhipeth & Manmath Mandir in Sonargali
- Sulkai Mandir 3km from city On ShivMalhar Mount.Revanagar.
- BhavaniDevi Mandar (Balawadi Kha) 26 km From Vita
- Rajubuva Mandir (Ghoti Khurdh) 15 km From Vita
- "State Elections 2004 Candidates Details for 274-Khanapur". nic.in. Retrieved 27 September 2014.
- "COMMODITY - Agmarknet". nic.in. Retrieved 27 September 2014.