|Governor of Mykolaiv Oblast|
|Assumed office |
25 November 2020
|Preceded by||Heorhiy Reshetilov|
|Born||13 March 1981|
Mykolaiv, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Spouse||Yuliya Vitalivna Kim|
Vitalii Oleksandrovych Kim (Ukrainian: Віталій Олександрович Кім; born 13 March 1981) is a Ukrainian businessman and politician of Korean origin, who has been the Governor of Mykolaiv Oblast since 2020. He is also head of the Mykolayiv Regional Military Administration.
Kim graduated from the Mykolaiv Gymnasium No. 2 and the Admiral Makarov National University of Shipbuilding with a degree in enterprise economics.
In 1998, he began to engage in entrepreneurial activity. He was the managing partner of the Ushuaja entertainment complex.
In 2003, he worked for the Ukrpromresurs company, which was engaged in public sector auditing. From 2005 to 2011 he managed a number of enterprises in Mykolaiv, was engaged in international investments. From 2015 to 2016, he headed the analytical department of the Ministry of Agrarian Policy of Ukraine. He is also a founder of a group of development companies, engaged in the construction of residential complexes "Orange", "Concert" and "Uyutny".
In 2019, he was a volunteer of the Mykolaiv branch of the Servant of the People party in the presidential and parliamentary elections. During the local elections of 2020, he was a candidate for deputies of the Mykolaiv city council from Servant of the People under No. 2,[clarification needed] while remaining non-partisan. Kim was also the head of the party's election headquarters and campaigned for the city and regional councils.
During the 2022 Russian invasion of Ukraine, Kim's role as governor of Mykolaiv Oblast made him prominent as Mykolaiv faced an ultimately-unsuccessful attack from Russian forces. Regarded by western sources such as The Economist as a charismatic leader, he has held daily video updates of the oblast's situation, which have garnered a following and established him as a popular figure across Ukraine due to his wit and mockery of the Russian Army. On 29 March 2022, his office was hit by a Russian missile in an airstrike, killing at least 37 people.
- Акимова Юлия (2020-10-16). ""Вставай и делай что-то полезное...": интервью с руководителем штаба "Слуги народа" в Николаеве Виталием Кимом". news.pn (in Russian). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- "Виталий Ким". Слово и Дело (in Russian). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- Середа Катерина (2020-06-01). "Арахамия рассказал, кто возглавит избирательный штаб "Слуги народа" в Николаеве". nikvesti.com (in Russian). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- "Миколаївська міська рада". cvk.gov.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- "Президент назначил Виталия Кима главой Николаевской ОГА". Официальное интернет-представительство Президента Украины (in Russian). 2020-11-25. Retrieved 2020-11-26.
- "Still Mykolaiv: A charismatic governor leads the defence of a strategic Ukrainian port". The Economist. 16 March 2022. Retrieved 16 April 2022.
- "Twelve dead in strike on Mykolaiv governor's office". British Broadcasting Corporation. 29 March 2022. Retrieved 16 April 2022.
- Zinets, Natalia (1 April 2022). "Death toll rises to 31 from strike on government building in Ukraine's Mykolaiv". Reuters. Retrieved 16 April 2022.
- "Після сесії Миколаївської облради голова ОДА заявив, що має симптоми COVID-19 йде на самоізоляцію". mykolaiv-yes.com.ua (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 2020-12-10.