|Ministry of Internal Affairs|
November 7, 2011 – February 21, 2014
|Prime Minister||Mykola Azarov|
|Preceded by||Anatolii Mohyliov|
|Succeeded by||Arsen Avakov (Acting)|
|Head of the State Tax Service of Ukraine|
December 25, 2010 – November 7, 2011
|Born||Vitaliy Yuriyovych Zakharchenko
January 20, 1963
Kostiantynivka, Ukrainian SSR, Soviet Union
|Political party||Politically unaffiliated|
|Allegiance||Soviet Union, Ukraine|
|Years of service||1981|
Vitaliy Yuriyovych Zakharchenko (Ukrainian: Віталій Юрійович Захарченко; born January 20, 1963) is a Russian politician who is a senior consultant at Russia's Rostec state corporation. He previously served as Ukraine's Minister of Internal Affairs from 7 November 2011 until he was suspended from duties by the Ukrainian parliament on 21 February 2014. In that position, he was the head of the Ukrainian national police service, the Militsiya.
Police Major General Vitaliy Zakharchenko was born in Kostiantynivka, in the Ukrainian SSR of the Soviet Union. He was graduated from the Riga branch of the Minsk Higher School of Interior of the USSR in 1991. He began his career with the police in the Donetsk Oblast in July 1981. From May 2008 to June 2010 he held leading positions in the State Tax Administration in Poltava Oblast. President Viktor Yanukovych appointed Zakharchenko as head of the State Tax Administration of Ukraine on 25 December 2010. On 7 November 2011 the president appointed him Minister of Internal Affairs, replacing Anatolii Mohyliov who had been named the new Prime Minister of Crimea; simultaneously, Yanukovych appointed Oleksandr Klymenko as head of the State Tax Administration of Ukraine. According to Ukrainian media Zakharchenko is a close friend of President Yanukovych' son, Viktor Viktorovych Yanukovych, though President Yanukovych, through his press service, denied that he appointed individuals to top government positions based on their personal loyalty and closeness to his family rather than qualifications. Since Zakharchenko was an officer of the Interior Ministry, he was not allowed to be a member of a political party.
The Ukrainian parliament suspended Zakharchenko from his duties on 21 February 2014 for using "violence" against protesters in the February 2014 Euromaidan riots. Five days later an arrest warrant was put out for him and he is currently wanted on murder charges. Since then he was last seen in Russia on 13 April 2014.
According to the Krymedia.ru, on 16 January 2015 Zakharchenko was planning to arrive in Sevastopol for a celebration of establishment of Berkut police anti-riots unit and present his charity fund "Yugo-Vostok" (South-East).
- Crimean prime minister planning to join Regions Party again, Kyiv Post (9 November 2011)
- (Russian) Могилев, Анатолий, Lenta.Ru
- (Ukrainian) ЗАХАРЧЕНКО ВІТАЛІЙ ЮРІЙОВИЧ - ГЕНЕРАЛ-МАЙОР МІЛІЦІЇ, Who-is-Who.com.ua
- (Russian) Захарченко Виталий Юрьевич, Politrada
- Yanukovych appoints Mohyliov to Crimean post, Kyiv Post (7 November 2011)
- Chief tax officer Zakharchenko appointed interior minister of Ukraine, Kyiv Post (7 November 2011)
- interfax.com.ua/news/general/191757.html Rada suspends Acting Interior Minister Zakharchenko from his duties, Interfax-Ukraine (21 February 2014)
- (Ukrainian) Податкову очолив Віталій Захарченко, BBC Ukrainian (December 25, 2010)
- Chief tax officer Zakharchenko appointed interior minister of Ukraine, Interfax Ukraine (7 November 2011)
- (Russian) Захарченко Виталий Юрьевич, Информационно-аналитический центр "ЛІГА"
- (Ukrainian) Любі друзі Олександра Януковича, Ukrayinska Pravda (7 November 2011)
- Yanukovych reappoints Tax Administration head, Kyiv Post (25 December 2010)
- Deputy Tax Chief Klymenko tapped to head tax service, Interfax Ukraine (7 November 2011)
- Yanukovych denies favoring loyalists and ‘family’ in appointments, Kyiv Post (5 March 2012)
- Only gold deposit in Ukraine controls the partner Zaharchenko. Ukraiyinska Pravda. January 13, 2014
- Ukraine parliament votes to sack interior minister, The Daily Star (Lebanon) (21 February 2014)
- Tensions high at Kyiv protest camp despite ground-breaking deal, CTV News (21 February 2014)
- Zakharchenko will arrive in Sevastopol to celebrate establishment of Berkut. Ukrinform. 14 January 2015
|Head of the State Tax Service of Ukraine
|Minister of Internal Affairs