||This article reads like a news release, or is otherwise written in a promotional tone. (April 2016)||
|Industry||Food & Drinks|
|Headquarters||Tuen Mun, Hong Kong|
|Vitasoy International Holdings Limited|
Vitasoy (traditional Chinese: 維他奶; simplified Chinese: 维他奶; pinyin: Wéitānǎi; Jyutping: wai4 taa1 naai5) (SEHK: 0345) is a brand of beverages and desserts in Hong Kong. Founded in 1940, it now operates under the Vitasoy International Holdings Limited. Its headquarters are in Tuen Mun, New Territories.
"Vitasoy" products are available under two major brands: VITASOY, a high-protein soy milk drink that the company first produced and tofu products, and VITA, a range of tea, juice, water and milk beverages. Over the years the company expanded beyond the soy drink products and started to produce a wide variety of beverages. Some of them (such as the fruit juice, milk, tea, soft drink, water, and tofu) were given the derivative brand name "Vita". Besides, it became one of the largest non-carbonated beverages, food manufacture, and seller in Hong Kong.
In addition, "Vitaland Services Limited"  is founded in 1991, it specialises in the operation and management of the tuck shops in Hong Kong primary and secondary schools and the canteen business. "Vitasoy" also established "Hong Kong Gourmet"  in 2001 to provide high-quality catering services to primary and secondary schools, and meetings.
Vitasoy was founded by Dr. Kwee Seong Lo (1910 – 1995) on March 9, 1940 in Hong Kong with door-to-door delivery of the milk alternative. At that time, many people suffered from poverty and malnutrition due to the higher price of milk, so Dr. Lo wanted to save the children from this blight, but because he realised many Chinese immigrants are lactose intolerant, so he focused on soy milk. The company ceased operations from 1941 to 1945 during the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong. It re-emerged after the war was over.
At first, fresh soya bean milk was delivered to people's homes on bicycle, and later Dr. Lo began selling his product through retail outlets. By 1950, the sales of soya bean milk increased, Vitasoy decided to establish a new factory to meet market demand. In 1953, it adopted the sterilization technology in manufacture of VITASOY soymilk drinks, which enabled the drinks to be stored without refrigeration. In 1975, Vitasoy became the first Hong Kong Company to introduce Tetra Pak packaging technology for drinks production. It involves UHT (ultra-heat treatment) sterilisation of the product and packaging in aseptic cartons, ensures that the drink product can be kept for months without refrigeration. By the late 70's and early 80's, Vitasoy became a well-known household brand and started to expand the overseas markets in the 80s and 90s. Yvonne Lo, the daughter of the Dr. Kwee Seong Lo, established Vitasoy USA Inc. in 1979. Today, Vitasoy products are sold in over 40 markets around the world, including the USA, Canada, Mainland China, Europe, Papua New Guinea, Australia, New Zealand, South East Asia, Guatemala, Trinidad and Venezuela.
Development of other brands
In 1976, Vitasoy launched a series of juice drinks, and subsequently launched lemon tea, chrysanthemum tea and other drinks in 1978 and 1979.
Vitasoy Soy drinks come in original, black bean, malt, coconut, melon, chocolate, taro, mocha and red bean flavours. Mint chocolate, ginger and eggnog flavours are available seasonally. Vitasoy San Sui tofu dessert is available in enriched, silken, firm, silken enriched, sweetened, and almond. Vitasoy also offers:
- Juices - Lychee, sugar cane, orange, mango, blackcurrant and guava, pineapple and mango, apple
- Carbonated drinks - cola, Cream Soda, Lemon Lime and Orange
- Yin Hai Jelly Juices - Pineapple, Strawberry and Blueberry
- Vita Supreme Coffee drink
- Teas - Lemon, Honey Chrysanthemum, Chrysanthemum, Green Tea, Supericy and Herbal Tea. "Vita Tsing Sum Zhan Teas" are Sugarcane and Imperate, American Ginseng with Honey, Grapefruit Lemon, Mandarin Lemon, Green Apple with Cucumber, Mandarin with aloe and Apple and Jasmine. "Gor Yin Hai Teas" are Apple, Passionfruit, lemon, peach, lychee; Icy Pink grapefruit, lemon and peach. "Vita Cha T Din" are Icy Lemon, Icy Green Tea, Iced Passionfruit, Iced Apple, Iced Mango, Iced Honey Green Tea, Iced Lemon, Iced Peach
- Soy-based salad dressings and mayonnaise
- Pasta and noodles
- Vitasoy San Sui Tofu Series - Dessert Tofu, Scallop Tofu and Silken Tofu
- VITA HK Style Milk Tea (Hong Kong)
- Vita Pure Distilled Water
- Hong Kong style (coffee, milk tea)
- Tuen Mun, Hong Kong - boxed drinks to Hong Kong, North America and Asia
- Shenzhen, China - for Chinese and Hong Kong markets
- Shanghai, China - for Chinese and Hong Kong markets
- Foshan, China - for Chinese and Hong Kong markets
- Ayer, Massachusetts - for North America (United States and Canada)
- Wodonga, Victoria, Australia - supplying to Australia and New Zealand
- List of food companies
- Yeo Hiap Seng
- Flagstaff House Teaware Museum K.S. Lo Gallery - named for Vitasoy founder and donor of much of the museum's collection
- "Contact Us." Vitasoy. Retrieved on 10 November 2014. "Address : 1 Kin Wong Street, Tuen Mun, New Territories, Hong Kong" - Address in Chinese: "地址 ： 香港新界屯門建旺街1號"
- Vitaland Service Limited. (n.d.). Company Background. Retrieved from http://www.vitaland.com.hk/en/home/index.html
- Hong Kong Gourmet Limited. (n.d.). Company Profile. Retrieved from http://www.hkgourmet.com.hk/en/contact_us/contact_information.htm
- "Obituaries - Dr. Kwee Seong Lo". Transactions of the Oriental Ceramic Society Volume 58. 1993-1994. The Oriental Ceramic Society. 1995. Retrieved 2010-03-08.
- History of Vitasoy
- Thomson Reuters. (n.d.). Stock Quotes & Company News | Reuters.com. Retrieved from http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/companyOfficers?symbol=VTSYF.PK
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Vitasoy.|