Apparently Secure (NatureServe)
Vitis mustangensis, commonly known as the mustang grape, is a species of grape that is native to the southern United States. Its range includes parts of Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma.
This woody species produces small clusters of hard green fruit that ripen into soft 3⁄4-inch (2 cm) dark purple berries between July –September.
They have a thick outer layer of flesh and on average contain four heart-shaped seeds. This variety of grape is recognized by the leaves that have a white velvet-like underside and lobed, cordate shape. These vines often cover trees, shrubs, fences and other objects that it grows near.
V. mustangensis is dioecious, with only female vines bearing fruit.
The fruit can be potentially irritating to the skin when handled, and are mildly unpleasant to eat raw because of bitterness and a high acidity content.
This grape has a list of culinary use as jelly, pie-filling, wine and grape juice, all of which are typically processed with heat and sweetened with sugar. 
The fruit and leaves of Mustang Grapes may also be used to dye wool.
- "Vitis mustangensis". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). Retrieved 2010-12-07.
- Biota of North America Program 2014 county distribution map
- Lynch, Daniel. Native and Naturalized Woody Plants of Austin and the Hill Country. Saint Edward's University, 1981, p. 95.
- "Wild Harvest: Texas' Bounty of Native Fruits|| TPW magazine|August/September 2013". tpwmagazine.com. Retrieved 2019-03-06.
- C. Allan Jones, Texas Roots: Agriculture and Rural Life Before the Civil War, College Station, Texas: Texas A&M University Press, 2005, pp. 148-149 
- Tull, Delena. Edible and Useful Plants of Texas and the Southwest: A Practical Guide. University of Texas Press, 1987, p. 206-208.
- Media related to Vitis mustangensis at Wikimedia Commons
- Data related to Vitis mustangensis at Wikispecies
- Agie-horticulture.edu, Texas Native Shrubs — Vitis mustangensis (Mustang Grape)
- Natives of Texas.com: Mustang Grape (Vitis mustangensis)
- UTexas.edu: Image archive of Vitis mustangensis (Mustang Grape)
- Flora of North America: Vitis mustangensis
- Plants of the World Online: Vitis mustangensis