|Born||February 19, 1977|
|Years active||1990 – present|
Vittorio Grigolo (correctly Vittorio Grigòlo, born February 19, 1977) is an Italian operatic tenor.
Grigolo was born in Arezzo and raised in Rome. He began singing by the age of four. When he was nine years old he accompanied his mother to have her eyes tested and, hearing someone singing from another room, he spontaneously began his own rendition of "Ave Maria". The singer, the optician's father, was so impressed that he insisted Grigolo have an audition for the Sistine Chapel Choir as soon as possible. Young Vittorio was chosen to become part of Sistine Chapel Choir as a soloist. He then studied for five years at the Schola Puerorum at the Sistine Chapel. At age 13 he played the Pastorello in a performance of Tosca at Teatro dell'Opera di Roma, where he shared the stage with Luciano Pavarotti and was given the nickname 'Il Pavarottino'. When 18, Vittorio joined the Vienna Opera Company. He became the youngest man to perform in Milan's La Scala at age 23. He also raced Pre-3000 Formula cars for a while until an accident limited his opportunities in this field.
Giuseppe Verdi: Don Carlo, I Due Foscari, Un Ballo in Maschera, Luisa Miller, Messa da Requiem, Rigoletto, La Traviata, Il Corsaro; Gaetano Donizetti: L´Elisir d’Amore, Don Sebastiano, La Favorita, Anna Bolena, Lucrezia Borgia & Lucia di Lammermoor Giacomo Puccini: La Bohème, Madama Butterfly; Charles Gounod: Faust, Roméo et Juliette; Gioachino Rossini: Petite Messe Solennelle, Stabat Mater; Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Idomeneo, Così fan tutte; Jules Massenet: Werther, Manon; Leonard Bernstein: West Side Story; Jacques Offenbach: Les Contes d’Hoffmann;
The European Commission of the EU granted Grigolo and Romano Musumarra a European Border Breakers Award, along with the record company, authors and publishers, for recording the highest sales for a debut album in 2006 within the European Union, but outside of its country of production.
The Capri Hollywood International Film Festival granted Grigolo a Capri Exploit Music Award. The award ceremony took place on January 1, 2008, on the island of Capri, where Grigolo also performed a tribute to Leonard Bernstein.
- In the Hands of Love (2006) [UK#6], [AUS#24]
- West Side Story (2007)
- Incognito (2007)
- The Italian Tenor (2010)
- Arrivederci (2011)
- Ave Maria (2013)
- The Romantic Hero (2014)
- In April 2006 Grigolo made his debut with a concert held at the Royal Albert Hall in London, he returned to the RAH to appear alongside such singers as Plácido Domingo and Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, at the 'Classical Brit Awards' evening, performing arias taken from his repertoire.
- In July 2006 Grigolo performed "Bedshaped" at the Miss Universe 2006 evening gown competition in the Los Angeles, USA.
- In September 2006 Grigolo appeared alongside Lionel Richie at 'Proms in the Park' London, England.
- In September 2006 Grigolo performed at the Macy's Passport fashion and charity events in the US, where he was the only musical entertainment, performing in front of a combined audience of 10,000.
- Also in September 2006 Grigolo appeared on the US television series Dancing with the Stars.
- Promotional tour of Australia in October 2006.
- On October 16, 2006, Grigolo appeared in ABC's reality TV series The Bachelor.
- On November 14, 2006, Grigolo appeared on Dancing with the Stars in Australia.
- October 2007 Grigolo performed "Nessun Dorma" at the NIAF 32nd Gala Dinner, Washington, D.C., in tribute to Luciano Pavarotti.
- Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London. Grigolo is appeared as Dr. Faust in Gounod's Faust. September 18, 2011.
Recorded at Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli, Italy. A live performance of tracks from his album, as well as a few additional pieces. The DVD was recorded specifically for the Great Performances series on PBS TV USA.
Grigolo plays Cassio in Giuseppe Verdi Otello recorded at Gran Teatre del Liceu Barcelona 2006
Latest opera/classical appearances
- 'Camillo de Rossillon' in La vedova allegra at Roma Opera House, Rome December 2007
- 'Rodolfo' in La bohème at the Kennedy Center Opera House, Washington, D.C. September 2007 and at Zurich Opera House, Oct/Nov 2009.
- Stabat Mater by Rossini at Sydney Opera House Australia, May 2007
- 'Alfredo' in La traviata at Roma Opera Theatre April 2007, at Théâtre Antique d'Orange, Les Chorégies d'Orange, 11 & 15 July 2009, at La Fenice Sept 2009, Deutsche Oper Berlin Sept 2009/March 2010
- 'Cassio' in Otello at the Liceu, Barcelona Feb 2006.
- 'Il Duca de Mantova' in Rigoletto at Hamburg State Opera, Sept/Oct 2005.
- 'Don Carlos' in Don Carlos at Geneva Opera House, June 2008.
- 'Edgardo' in Lucia di Lammermoor at Zurich Opera House, Sept 2008.
- Rigoletto, live from Mantua, 2010 RAI film version of Rigoletto, performed live on location in Mantua, Italy and broadcast simultaneously in 148 countries.
- 'Rodolfo' in La bohème at the Metropolitan Opera, New York, October 2010. It was his debut with the company.
- 'Corrado' in Il corsaro at Zurich Opera House, Nov 2009/Jan 2010.
- 'Hoffmann' in Les contes d'Hoffmann at Zurich Opera House, March/April 2010.
- 'Duke of Mantua in Rigoletto at the Metropolitan Opera, New York, 2013
- 'Rodolfo' in La bohème at the Metropolitan Opera, New York, 2014
- 'Hoffmann' in "Les Contes d'Hoffmann" at the Metropolitan Opera, New York, January/February 2015
- 'Romeo' in "Romeo et Juliette" at the Metropolitan Opera, New York, 2017
- 'Nemorino' in "L'Elisir d'Amore" at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, 2017
- Verdi: Messa da Requiem/Falstaff/Rigoletto/La traviata/Il corsaro/Il trovatore
- Donizetti: L'elisir d'amore/Don Sebastiano/Don Pasquale/Favorita/La fille du régiment/Lucia di Lammermoor
- Bellini: I Puritani/I Capuleti e i Montecchi
- Zandonai: Francesca da Rimini (Malatestino)
- Puccini: La Rondine/La bohème/Gianni Schicchi
- Gounod: Faust
- Rossini: Petite Messe Solemnelle/Stabat Mater
- Mozart: Requiem/Don Giovanni/Idomeneo/Così fan tutte
- Cilea: L’Arlesiana
- Richard Strauss: Der Rosenkavalier
- Massenet: Werther
- Mascagni: Amico Fritz
- Léo Delibes: Lakmé
- Bernstein: Candide/West Side Story
- Franz Lehár: it. La Vedova Allegra aka (The Merry Widow / Die lustige Witwe)
- Jacques Offenbach: Les contes d'Hoffmann
- "Vittorio Grigolo: Romantic hero who's proud to be a popera star". March 26, 2012.
- "Bravura Style". December 12, 2016.
- Sony Classical