Vityaz missile system
|50R6 (S-350E) Vityaz|
50P6 missile launcher of S-350E system at 2013 MAKS Airshow
|Type||medium-range SAM system|
|Place of origin||Russia|
|In service||under development (since 2009)|
|Manufacturer||Northwest Regional Center of Almaz-Antey (GOZ, ZRTO)|
The 50R6 Vityaz missile system (Russian: ЗРК Витязь) or S-350E is a Russian medium-range surface-to-air missile system developed by GSKB Almaz-Antey. Its purpose is to replace the S-300PS and S-300PT-1A. The system design traces its roots from the joint South Korean/Russian KM-SAM project.
Design and development
The 50R6A Vityaz missile system consists of:
- 1-2 50N6A multifunctional passively electronically scanned array radar stations. 360° coverage for early detection, target illumination and missile guidance.
- 1 50K6A command post, fully autonomous combat work with interaction with other remote systems.
- 1-8 50P6 launcher (12-96 missiles).
- 9M96/9M96E(E2) guided missiles; passive guidance and other missiles with active homing guidance. 12–120 km (7.5–74.6 mi) range, aerodynamic control surfaces and jet engines of control surfaces.
- 9M100 guided missiles; 10–15 km (6.2–9.3 mi) range; infrared active homing; aerodynamic control surfaces and jet engines of control; maximum maneuver G 60-20 surfaces.
- Maximum number of simultaneously engaged targets:
- Aerodynamic - 16
- Ballistic - 12
- Maximum number of simultaneously induced missiles - 32
- Affected area of aerodynamic purposes:
- Range - 1.5–120 km (0.93–74.56 mi)
- Height - 10 m-30 km (98,000 ft)
- Affected area of ballistic targets:
- Range - 1.5–30 km (0.93–18.64 mi)
- Height - 2–25 km (6,600–82,000 ft)
- Deployment time - 5 minutes
After a delay, testing is expected to be completed in 2014. Mass production is expected to begin in 2015, and deliveries to the Russian Military are expected in 2016. The system would replace older versions of the S-300, and complement other systems including the newer S-300 versions, Morfey, Buk, Tor, Pantsir-S1, S-400 and S-500.
|Minimum range||1 km||1 km||1 km|
|Maximum range||120 km||60 km||40 km|
|Minimum altitude||5 m||5 m||_|
|Maximum altitude||30 km (98,000 ft)||20 km (66,000 ft)||_|
|Speed||1,800 m/s (Mach 5.3)||_||_|
|Weight||420 kg (930 lb)||333 kg (734 lb)||_|
|Length||5.65 m (18.5 ft)||4.75 m (15.6 ft)||2.5 m (8.2 ft)|
|Diameter||240 mm (9.4 in)||240 mm (9.4 in)||125 mm (4.9 in)|
|Warhead weight||24 kg (53 lb)||24 kg (53 lb)||_|
In September 2017, it was reported that the missile system was deployed in the town of Masyaf in Hama province, Syria, delivered from Russia via the Tartus port.
- (in Russian)Strela newspaper 6 (125) June 2013
- http://aviationweek.com/awin/new-medium-sam-displayed-moscow-air-show New Medium SAM Displayed At Moscow Air Show
- "ЗЕНИТНАЯ РАКЕТНАЯ СИСТЕМА (ЗРС) С-350Е "ВИТЯЗЬ". ANTIAIRCRAFT MISSILE SYSTEM (AAMS) S-350Е "VITYAZ"". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- Russia’s Poliment-Redut Naval Air Defense System to Receive S-350 Compatible Missiles - Navyrecognition.com, 26 April 2017
- Almaz-Antey plans to start delivery of S-350E Vityaz air defense system to Russian army in 2016 - Armyrecognition.com, 12 September 2013
- "30". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- "Lenta.ru: Россия: Армия: Комплекс ПВО «Витязь» пойдет в серию в 2015 году". Retrieved 24 December 2014.
- S-300 Surface-To-Air Missile System PROGRAM DOSSIER - Aviationweek.com, 6 August 2015
- Advanced Russia-Made Air-Defense System Deployed in Central Syria Fars News Agency, 24 September 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to S-350E.|
- S-350E Vityaz 50R6 surface-to-air defense missile system(Army recognition)
- Vityaz to replace S-300 air defense systems in 2014 - designer, RIA Novosti, August 15
- The first tests of the latest air defense system 50R6 “Vityaz” will be carried out in autumn, Russian Aviation, February 11, 2013
- (in Russian) S-350E Vityaz at 2013 MAKS Airshow (Technical Specifications)
- Air Defence - the Opposite Side of Air Power "Vityaz" by Dr. Igor Sutyagin, RUSI.org
- ANALYSIS | S-350E "Hero" / C-350E "Vityaz" Anti-Aircraft Missile System