Viu (streaming media)
Type of site
|Owner||PCCW Media Limited|
Viu is an over-the-top (OTT) video service operated by PCCW Media, a subsidiary of PCCW. Launched in Hong Kong, Viu provides Asian dramas, variety programs, anime and entertainment news. As of April 2018, Viu had 16 million monthly active users.
PCCW Media owns nowTV, Hong Kong’s first IPTV and MOOV, Hong Kong’s first OTT music platform. On 26 October 2015, Viu was launched in Hong Kong. Started as a freemium, Viu provides premium services by a subscription plan. Since then it has expanded to many other countries.
Currently, Viu Hong Kong and Viu Singapore are both available to users with local IP addresses only. Recent popular Korean dramas and variety shows such as ‘Boys Over Flowers’, ‘City Hunter’, ‘I Can Hear Your Voice’, ‘The Heirs’, ‘My Love from the Star’, etc. can be found on Viu Singapore. Whereas the broadcasting rights of these dramas in Hong Kong were previously bought by other TV platforms and hence are not available on Viu Hong Kong. Instead, it offers dramas from Japan, Taiwan and China, Japanese animations and Korean entertainment programmes.
- "Keeping up with the Koreans: PCCW to offer OTT for TV series content in Hong Kong and beyond". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "PCCW Media's Viu OTT play nets over 1.2 million downloads in Hong Kong". Ooyala. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Viu Develops Own Content in Asia | Light Reading". Light Reading.
- "Hong Kong's largest telco launches streaming service for Asia". CNET. 2016-01-10. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "PCCW looks at Viu as just the start". Digital News Asia. 2016-04-04. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
|This Internet-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|