|Directed by||Djo Tunda Wa Munga|
|Country||Democratic Republic of the Congo|
Viva Riva! is a 2010 Congolese crime thriller film written and directed by Djo Tunda Wa Munga. Starring Patsha Bay, Manie Malone, Fabrice Kwizera, Hoji Fortuna, Marlene Longage, Alex Herabo & Diplôme Amekindra,the film received 12 nominations and won 6 awards at the 7th Africa Movie Academy Awards.
This includes the awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography & Best Production Design, a feat that made it the highest winning film in the history of the AMAA's till date. Viva Riva! also won at the 2011 MTV Movie Awards for Best African Movie.
The film follows a fuel smuggler, Riva, after he brings a fuel shipment into Kinshasa. Riva is pursued by an Angolan gangster, Cesar, who wants the fuel. Cesar uses blackmail to gain the help of a local military officer, the Commandant, who then accesses a local informant and church resources to aid Cesar's search. Meanwhile, Riva falls for Nora, the partner of a local gangster, Azor. Riva gains the trust of a local boy and uses his help to find Nora again. The conflicts turn out to be deadly for almost all the main characters.
- Patsha Bay - Riva
- Manie Malone - Nora
- Hoji Fortuna - Cesar
- Fabrice Kwizera - Jason
- Marlene Longage - The Commandant
- Alex Herabo
- Diplôme Amekindra
Reviews has been very positive, It currently holds an 86% fresh rating based on 59 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes with a general description that "Vibrant and violent, Viva Riva is a stylish, fast-paced crime drama.". It has a 65% rating on Metacritic based on 16 reviews.
- "AMAA Nominees and Winners 2011". African Movie Academy Awards. 28 March 2011. Archived from the original on 3 April 2011. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- Osae-Brown, Funke (28 March 2011). "Congolese 'Viva Riva' wins Africa's best film award". The EastAfrican. Nairobi, Kenya. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "African Movie Academy Awards 2011". African Movie Academy Award. Archived from the original on 29 January 2011. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- Lee, Maggie (11 February 2011). "Viva Riva!: Berlin Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- Lee, Maggie (17 February 2011). "Bold crime film is vicious, sexy and throbbingly realistic". The Hollywood Reporter. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- Meza, Ed (13 October 2010). "Music Box nabs 'Viva Riva!' in U.S." Variety. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- "Viva Riva! (2010)". Rotten Tomatoes. IGN Entertainment. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- Enyimo, Martin (18 December 2010). "Le long métrage " Viva Riva " a inauguré la salle de projection de la Halle de la Gombe". AllAfrica.com (in French). AllAfrica Global Media. Retrieved 1 March 2011.
- "Viva Riva! Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Viva Riva! Reviews MetaCritic". Metacritic. Retrieved 31 January 2014.