Vivek Maddala during a 2016 soundcheck
|Born||Rochester, New York|
|Genres||Film score, Classical, big band, jazz, rock, funk, R&B, World|
|Occupation(s)||Composer, musician, record producer, recording engineer, inventor|
|Instruments||Drums, piano, guitar, bass, Hammond organ, conductor|
Vivek Maddala is a three-time Emmy-winning composer who focuses on writing music for feature films, theater and dance productions, and television. He is known for composing music scores for independent movies such as Kaboom, Highway, and American Revolutionary: The Evolution of Grace Lee Boggs, as well as for silent film restorations for Turner Classic Movies, including a 90-minute score for the Greta Garbo film The Mysterious Lady (2002). Additionally, Maddala writes, produces, and performs as a multi-instrumentalist with various recording artists. He is a Sundance Lab Fellow for film composition, and has had work premiere at the Cannes, Toronto, Berlin, and Sundance film festivals. Maddala has received four Daytime Emmy nominations, with three wins, in the category of "Outstanding Music Direction and Composition."
Vivek Maddala is the son of economist G. S. Maddala. He began playing at age 3 and later studied jazz performance at the Berklee College of Music. He earned degrees in electrical engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology and pursued graduate studies at the University of Washington.
- Grand Prize winner of the Young Film Composers Competition
- ASCAP Film Scoring Fellowship
- JPFolks Soundtrack Album of the Year for The Patsy
- Gold Medals at the Park City Film Music Festival for Wild Oranges, They Turned Our Desert Into Fire and Grasshopper
- BMI Conducting Fellowship
- 2010 Council of Outstanding Young Engineering Alumni
- 2014 Hollywood Music in Media Awards (nomination), Best Score – Documentary
- 2017 Daytime Emmy Awards (nomination), Outstanding Music Direction and Composition
- 2018 Daytime Emmy Awards (win), Outstanding Music Direction and Composition
- 2019 Annie Award (nomination), Outstanding Achievement for Music in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production
- 2019 Daytime Emmy Awards (win), Outstanding Music Direction and Composition
- 2020 Annie Award (nomination), Outstanding Achievement for Music in an Animated Television/Broadcast Production
- 2020 Daytime Emmy Awards (win), Outstanding Music Direction and Composition
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-01-13. Retrieved 2013-07-12.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Musical Minds". Sundance.org. Archived from the original on 2 February 2011. Retrieved 22 January 2011.
- "Vivek Maddala's Official Website". N/A. Retrieved 16 June 2013.
- DeYoung, Bill (October 24, 2000). "Local Composer Scores Silent Film". Gainesville Sun.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-10-04. Retrieved 2013-07-11.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-07-20. Retrieved 2013-07-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
|This article about a composer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|