Vivekanand Education Society's Institute of Technology
|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||Arise, awake, stop not till the goal is reached|
|Chairman||Shri. R. J. Keswani|
|Principal||Dr.(Mrs.) J. M. Nair|
|Affiliations||University of Mumbai|
Vivekanand Education Society's Institute of Technology also known as VESIT or V.E.S. Institute of Technology, established in 1984, is a premier engineering college affiliated with the University of Mumbai.
- 1 Campus
- 2 Academics
- 3 Student activities
- 4 Achievements
- 5 Alumni
- 6 External links
The campus is located in Chembur, a northeastern suburb of Mumbai, and stretches over a few acres of land. VESIT moved to the present campus from its old one (also in Chembur) in December 2010. The institution boasts of state-of-the-art laboratory facilities.
The engineering college (VESIT) shares its campus with the college of Pharmacy and the college for Management and Research. The campus comprises one big C-shaped building for the engineering college and several other buildings for the other colleges, hostels, etc. VESIT has a multi storey building, wherein each floor is allotted to each of the five departments, and the ground floor comprises the administrative office, principal's office, examination department, canteen, etc. VESIT also has a very well managed library on the first floor and an open section on the second floor.
VESIT offers bachelors programs and Masters program in engineering and technology under the following streams:
- Electronics (Intake-120)
- Electronics and Telecommunications (Intake-120)
- Computer Engineering (Intake-120)
- Information Technology (Intake-60)
- Master of Computer Application (Intake-60)
- Instrumentation (Intake-60)
- Computer Engineering (Second shift) (Intake-60)
- Electronics and Telecommunications (Second shift) (Intake-60)
- Master of Computer Application (Second shift) (Intake-60)
- Master of Engineering
All of these courses in affiliation with the University of Mumbai.
Apart from academics, VESIT also offers various extra-curricular activities. Students of VESIT are given a chance to showcase their leadership and teamwork skills through a variety of student bodies, both technical and non-technical. These student bodies regularly conduct events, workshops,seminars and different activities to keep students motivated even outside the classrooms. A number of these bodies have student council which manage the working of the association. A new council is selected every year for all these bodies. VESIT has three annual festivals across various domains, Praxis (Technical), Utsav (Cultural) and Sphurti (Sports). VESIT also has student chapters of IEEE, Computer Society of India, ISTE and ISA and the VESIT Entrepreneurship Cell.
VESIT supports entrepreneurship and students who want to become entrepreneurs. Recently, a new startup has been incubated by VESIT named www.notemybook.in which is run by two second year students. The VESIT Entrepreneurship Cell is keen to develop entrepreneurship in students through various events, competitions and incubation center.
Sports - Sphurti
A well maintained football ground (which also doubles up as a cricket ground), a basketball court and a volleyball court are situated within the V.E.S. campus area and it is shared by the various schools under V.E.S.. Additional facilities for high jump and long jump are also available. An annual sports competition is held in this college called as 'Sphurti', where all the student divisions compete in various indoor and outdoor games and competitions. Indoor sports events including carrom, chess, table tennis are held in the odd semester. And, outdoor sports events football, basketball, cricket are held in the even semester. VESIT also participates in various inter college sports festivals.
Technical Festival - Praxis
VESIT annually organises a technical festival called 'Praxis'. Praxis consists of various technically oriented competitions like Robotics, Gamers Arena (LAN Gaming), Dalal Street (Stock Market Simulation), Open Hardware and Open Software competitions and technical paper presentations. It also organizes fun events like the treasure hunt and crystal maze. Praxis-VESIT also publishes a magazine named "Mindspace".
Cultural Festival - Utsav
VESIT organises a cultural festival every year in Spring, called Utsav. All the classes compete against each other in a wide range of literary and cultural activities to gain points. The class having scored the maximum points by the end is declared winner.
Social Responsibility Team (SoRT)
VESIT has its own team involved in social work which is a part of the students' council of the college. SoRT organizes blood donation camps every semester in the college. There is also SoRT Week in the odd semester of the year where items made by the differently abled are sold.Also books, clothes and stationery collection drives are organized which are later distributed to the needy. There are presentations on social issues. Plethora of other events are organized by SoRT every year. Events like Beach Cleaning Drives, Tree Plantation Drive, visits to old age home, orphanages. SoRT has conducted many activities in a village called Chinchpada in the outskirts of Mumbai.
Every year, in mid March, a day is deemed to be Technology Day. On this occasion, a technical project exhibition is organised and the best student project is selected and awarded. This day is commemorated in memory of Late Shri Kishin Mansharamani, one of the founding members of V.E.S. Trust.
VESIT publishes annual magazine named "Vishwakarma" which includes articles, poems written by students, academic and co-curricular achievements of the students.
VESIT has student chapters of the following societies.
- The VESIT Entrepreneurship Cell (tVEC)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE)
- Computer Society of India (CSI)
- International Society of Automation (ISA)
- Indian Society for Technical Education (ISTE)
Societies at VESIT are very highly active, and keep the students engaged in a plethora of co-curricular and extra-curricular activities throughout the year.
VESIT has participated in Robocon, an annual competition held by Doordarshan, India. It is a national competition with colleges from all over India participating for a chance to participate in the Asia Pacific Competition held by ABU. VESIT has participated in Robocon since it has started and has always been successful in reaching the Quarter Finals of this competition. In Robocon 2004, VESIT won the National Competition and got an opportunity to participate in the Asia Pacific Event to be held at Seoul, South Korea.
VESIT has also had an illustrious history of its students making it big at various notable competitions like Microsoft's Imagine Cup, IBM's TGMC, Techfest - IIT Bombay, etc.
The official alumni portal for the institute is www.alumni.vesit.edu
Notable Alumni from the institute are:
- Hari Krishnan - Country Manager (India), LinkedIn (Awarded Distinguished VESIT Alumni of Year Award, 2015)
- Tanuj Kamath - Corporate Marketing Expert at Larsen and Toubro
- Ajeet Khurana - Prolific Angel Investor of India, Ex-CEO of IITB SINE (Awarded Distinguished VESIT Alumni of Year Award, 2015)
- Dilipkumar Khandelwal - MD SAP Labs India (Awarded Distinguished VESIT Alumni of Year Award, 2015)
- Vijay Talreja - Serial Entrepreneur & Angel Investor, Co-founder Adapty (Head of VESIT Alumni Association)
- Vishal Prabhukhanolkar - Director, MAQ Software and Co-Founder, Quetzal Online (TenADay.co.in)
- Amish Gandhi - Former Verizon, Reuters Product Development. Founder and CEO at Perpetual New York
- Bhushan Dabir - Director, Navitas Energy and Co-Founder, Quetzal Online (TenADay.co.in)
- Soumya Banerjee - Former Managing Director Sapient(India), CEO Attano Media and Education (attano.com)
- Official Website
- Official Alumni Website
- Praxis, annual technical festival
- Utsav, annual cultural festival
- Sphurti, annual sports festival
- IEEE VESIT Student Branch Website
- ISTE VESIT Student Chapter Website
- CSI VESIT Student Activity Center
- ISA VESIT Student Section Website