|The Vivekananda Institution, Howrah|
The main building of the school ("Boro Bari") holds classes from VIII to XII
|75& 77 Swami Vivekananda Road
Howrah, West Bengal, India 711104
|Established||2 February 1923|
|Headmaster||Sri Sobhan Kumar Bera|
|Affiliations||WBBSE and WBCHSE|
Vivekananda Institution is a high school in West Bengal, India. It is located in the Howrah district of West Bengal. The school was established in 1922 (the first school named after the great Indian sage Swami Vivekananda) and is inspired by his philosophy "Education is the manifestation of the perfection already in man". The school is a leading performer in the secondary and higher secondary exams of the state of West Bengal. The school is located at 75 & 77 Swami Vivekananda Road, Santragachhi, Howrah 711104, India.
The institution is named after the Hindu monk Swami Vivekananda and was established in 1923.
In 1928 the school was graced by the presence of Swami Shivananda. In 1956 the new main building was inaugurated by the then Governor of West Bengal Dr. Harendranath Mukhopadhaya .
The principal function of the school is to observe the ‘Swamiji Janmo Tithi’. The presidents of this function in the previous years were men like Ajit Kumar Ghosh, Swami Chidatmananda, Charuchandra Bhattacharya, Kumud Bandhu Sen, Pramathanath B. C., Mahendranath Sarkar,
Mrigendranath Mukhopadhyay was one of the founders of the institution. Two ex-Headmasters (Sudhangshu Sekhar Bhattacharya and Sri Brojamohan Majumder) were honoured by the government of India when they received the National Award for Teachers.
The institution has af roll strength of about three thousand students from class I to XII. The teaching and non-teaching staff range from 70 to 75.
- Dr. Bholanath Chakraborty.
- Dr. Dinobandhu Banerjee.
- Professor Phatik Chattopadhyay.
- Scientist Dr. Rabindranath Ghosh,
- Public Prosecutor Prafulla Kumar Roy.
- Former Vice-Chancellor of Viswabharati University Dr. Nemaisadhan Basu.
- Ramtanu Lahiri Professor of Calcutta University Sankari Prosad Basu.
- Writer Sankar.
- Professor of Kanpur IIT Dr. Debicharan Khan.
- Durgacharan Bhattacharya.
- Sub-editor of Ananda Bazar Patrika Sisir Kar.
- Kamal Kumar Mitra Professor of Economics.
- Dr. Rajendramohan Chakraborty (B.U.).
- Professor Nityananda Bhagat (Government Art College).
- Professor Arabinda Ghosh (J.U.).
- Football players Ashok Chatterjee and Jahar Das.
- International table tennis player Anirban Nandy.
- National table tennis player, international table tennis coach, professor in Government College for Physical Education, Banipur Dr.Somshankar Chatterjee.
The Headmaster is Sobhan Kumar Bera. Two of the earlier head masters Sudhangshu Bhattacharya and Brojomohon Majumder won government awards given directly by the President of India for their services.
- Howrah Vivekananda Institution. Vivekanandainstitution.com (2010-01-30). Retrieved on 2011-01-16.