Vivian E. Cook
|Vivian E. Cook|
|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 32nd district
January 3, 1991
|Preceded by||Edward Abramson|
May 23, 1937 |
Rock Hill, South Carolina
|Residence||Jamaica, Queens, New York|
Vivian E. Cook (born May 23, 1937) represents District 32 in the New York State Assembly, which comprises New York City's Queens borough neighborhoods of Jamaica Estates, Rochdale Village, and Springfield.
A native of Rock Hill, South Carolina, Cook has served as District Leader of Queens for over 25 years. She is the Chairwoman of the Queens County Democratic Committee, as well as a member of both the Queens County Executive Committee and the Democratic National Committee. In 1988, and again in 1992, she served as a delegate to the Democratic National Convention.
Cook was first elected to the State Assembly in 1990. She was appointed Chairwoman of the Task Force on Food and the Farm and Nutrition Policy in 2000. She currently is Chair of the Majority Program Committee. She also serves as Treasurer of the New York State Black and Puerto Rican Legislative Caucus. Cook ran uncontested in the 2008 and 2010 general elections.
The New York Daily News reported that Cook was among the Assembly members that refused to disclose her outside income. This came 14 weeks after the state legislature publicly supported and approved a bill requiring them to disclose their outside income. The bill that was vetoed by Governor David Paterson.
- "Assembly Member Vivian E. Cook (NY)". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- "Vivian E. Cook: Biography". New York State Assembly. Retrieved March 23, 2011.
- "Election Results 2008: New York State Legislature". The New York Times. 2008.
- "Election Results 2010: New York State Legislature". The New York Times. 2010.
- "New York State pols who won't reveal outside income". New York Daily News. May 25, 2010.
- Blain, Glenn; Gearty, Robert; Smith, Greg B. (May 25, 2010). "Sheldon Silver, Malcolm Smith among many New York City pols who won't reveal outside income". New York Daily News.
|New York Assembly|
|New York State Assembly