Vivian Smith, 1st Baron Bicester
|Vivian Hugh Smith, 1st Baron Bicester|
|Born||9 December 1867|
|Died||17 February 1956|
Trinity College, Cambridge
|Spouse(s)||Lady Sybil Mary McDonnell|
|Children||Randal Smith, 2nd Baron Bicester
Victoria Alexandrina Vivian Smith
Mary Constance Vivian Smith
Stephen Edward Vivian Smith
Joyce Sybil Vivian Smith
Honor Mildred Vivian Smith
Hugh Adeane Vivian Smith
|Parent(s)||Hugh Colin Smith
Constance Maria Josepha (Adeane) Smith
|Relatives||John Abel Smith (paternal grandfather)
William Randal McDonnell, 6th Earl of Antrim (father-in-law)
Vivian Hugh Smith was born on 9 December 1867. He was the elder son of Hugh Colin Smith and Constance Maria Josepha (née Adeane), and grandson of John Abel Smith. He was educated at Eton College and Trinity College, Cambridge. His brother Aubrey followed the different path of joining the Royal Navy at the age of eleven and later rose to be an admiral.
Smith served as the Chairman of Yule Catto & Company Ltd, Governor of the Royal Exchange Assurance Corporation from 1914 to 1956, and a Director of Morgan Grenfell & Co. Between 1934 and 1956, he also held the honorary position of Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire. On 29 June 1938 Smith was raised to the peerage as Baron Bicester, of Tusmore in the County of Oxford.
He married Lady Sybil Mary McDonnell, daughter of William Randal McDonnell, 6th Earl of Antrim, in 1897. They had seven children:
- Randal Hugh Vivian Smith, 2nd Baron Bicester (1898–1968).
- Victoria Alexandrina Vivian Smith (1899–1969), unmarried.
- Mary Constance Vivian Smith (1901–1981), married Francis James Rennell Rodd, 2nd Baron Rennell.
- Lt.-Col. Hon. Stephen Edward Vivian Smith ( 1903–1952), father of Angus Edward Vivian Smith, 3rd Baron Bicester.
- Hon. Joyce Sybil Vivian Smith (1905), married Gerald Lloyd-Verney.
- Hon. Honor Mildred Vivian Smith (1908–1995), surgeon.
- Major Hon. Hugh Adeane Vivian Smith (1910–1978).
He died in February 1956, at the age of eighty-eight, and was succeeded in the barony by his eldest son Randall. His wife died in 1959.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Lord Bicester
The Duke of Marlborough
|Lord Lieutenant of Oxfordshire
The Earl of Macclesfield
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation||Baron Bicester
Randal Hugh Vivian Smith